Ssris Negatively Affect The Brain Within Hours Of Ingestion

haidut

Forum Supporter
This was kind of shocking to read about, but it should not really be surprising in the context of Peat's work. The culprit for the change in brain structure and functionality is, of course, serotonin.

http://time.com/3399997/study-antidepre ... y-quickly/

"...After mapping the connections researchers found that when more serotonin was present in the gray matter it meant a decrease in the brain’s functional connectivity."

Curt :-)

@haidut, do you happen to know how fast or how long some of the dopamine agonists or serotonin antagonists work? For example, if I take B6 in the morning, can I expect it to take effect by the time that meal has digested? And roughly how long can I expect the effect to last from such things?
I appreciate that this is kind of an unanswerable question because of so many variables and a lack of context...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Curt :) said:
@haidut, do you happen to know how fast or how long some of the dopamine agonists or serotonin antagonists work? For example, if I take B6 in the morning, can I expect it to take effect by the time that meal has digested? And roughly how long can I expect the effect to last from such things?
I appreciate that this is kind of an unanswerable question because of so many variables and a lack of context...

Most agonist/antagonist drugs work within several hours. The full effect may take several days/weeks to achieve since it takes time to saturate the "receptors" for some drugs. But vitamin B6 is well-known to act fast, and will probably produce results within days. However, most studies I have seen administer it for at least a month before they measure effects. So, you can see results quickly but for full effect may have to wait a few weeks. And of course, other than B6 for all other drugs it would depend on the drug and it metabolic profile.
Just my 2c.

Last edited by a moderator: