SSRIs And Vitamin K2 Interactions

Giuseppe

I’ve tried many times to go off my SSRI (escitalopram) over the years with no good results, and always had to come back to it. I found I couldn’t take supplements such as vitamin k2 mk-4 (other forms were fine) while on it because of the nausea and palpitations it caused.

Then last year I found out I could wean myself off the SSRIs by taking the k2 mk-4 instead, which on me had similar mood-enhancing effects, taking the SSRI only sporadically. Then for a few months I only took the Life Extension or Thorne products. Also occasionally astaxanthin and tocotrienols, other supplements I couldn’t take while on SSRIs.

Now however I find that I can’t take SSRIs anymore, which wasn’t what I expected. When I try to take a few mgs of escitalopram, I get similar nausea and other toxicity symptoms as when I took them on the same day as the vitamin K2.

I took mirtazapine to calm the nausea, but I find it to be too sedating. If I ever feel the need to go back on the meds for my social anxiety, what are the alternatives?

Should I just detox off everything for a while? Is there a reason for this effect the K2 has on me? I can’t find anything about it on the net.

TeslaFan

Interesting. I took escitalopram for two years, long time ago, and went off by reducing the dose and frequency over a period of 6 months or so. I used St. John's Wort as an alternative when needed back then. I haven't tried MK4 at that time, so cannot relate, but now, I take 15mg MK4 daily, and love it.

However, if you ever need some Rx antidepressant, I would say, Tianeptine. 20 days on it, standard dose, will probably keep depression at bay for the rest of the year.

Frankdee20

Serotonin and Vitamin K both have actions on the clotting system.

Kingpinguin

I’ve tried many times to go off my SSRI (escitalopram) over the years with no good results, and always had to come back to it. I found I couldn’t take supplements such as vitamin k2 mk-4 (other forms were fine) while on it because of the nausea and palpitations it caused.

Then last year I found out I could wean myself off the SSRIs by taking the k2 mk-4 instead, which on me had similar mood-enhancing effects, taking the SSRI only sporadically. Then for a few months I only took the Life Extension or Thorne products. Also occasionally astaxanthin and tocotrienols, other supplements I couldn’t take while on SSRIs.

Now however I find that I can’t take SSRIs anymore, which wasn’t what I expected. When I try to take a few mgs of escitalopram, I get similar nausea and other toxicity symptoms as when I took them on the same day as the vitamin K2.

I took mirtazapine to calm the nausea, but I find it to be too sedating. If I ever feel the need to go back on the meds for my social anxiety, what are the alternatives?

Should I just detox off everything for a while? Is there a reason for this effect the K2 has on me? I can’t find anything about it on the net.

I would look for other ways of fixing the anxiety instead of ssri. It will forever be a band aid. I had anxiety and cured it with nutrition. Its all about figuring out what works for you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals