Ssri Use During Pegnancy May Cause Autism

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray wrote in one of the email exchanges that in his opinion autism is likely caused by increased maternal stress during pregnancy. Since elevated serotonin is a hallmark of stress, this study is not very surprising.

http://t.healthyliving.msn.com/diseases ... sk-in-boys

"...SSRIs used during pregnancy cross the placenta and increase levels of the hormone serotonin in the fetus, as they do in the mother, the researchers said. Higher serotonin levels decrease depression, and these antidepressants are used in about 4 percent of all pregnancies, according to background information with the study. About one in three children with autism has higher-than-normal serotonin levels. Researchers think these high levels may lead to the development of abnormal brain circuitry, which may play a role in the development of some autism symptoms, according to the study authors."

The study also reminds me of a pilot clinical trial with a small number of autistic children, in which using a relatively low dose of serotonin antagonist cyproheptadine resulted in full remission in about 30% of the children and significant improvement in symptoms in the rest. Setotonin is once again rearing its ugly head...

It seems the big thing in autism is the lack of synaptic pruning in childhood, where the brain is optimized and the unnecessary connections are removed. This would make sense when you think in some of these people the hyperconnectivity ends up being really useful in this or that ability. Scientists say that "missing" genes cause the impaired pruning, but just like in cancer, we know stress makes cells revert to early evolutionary states, especially with the suppression of some genes.

The antidepressant fluoxetine restores plasticity in the adult visual cortex.

Serotonin-related pathways and developmental plasticity: relevance for psychiatric disorders.

Early nutritional changes modify the kinetics and phosphorylation capacity of tryptophan-5-hydroxylase.

I was born before the SSRIs were in full use (1966), so I doubt that my issues were caused by them. However, I do know that my biological mother was 16 when she got pregnant. Her family was ashamed and sent her away to an unwed mother's home to give birth to me. I imagine that must have been pretty dang stressful for her and it interrupted her schooling as well. Maybe just the intense stress of an unwanted pregnancy can tilt the balance? Who knows what her level of nutrition was ...perhaps this explains a lot of my issues? I hate to think that my tendency to produce too much serotonin is permanent, but I have definitely been this way my ENTIRE life and cannot seem to find my way out.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think recognizing the pattern is the first step in changing it. I'm sure some of us have a more deep rooted imbalance from the womb or even from the stress and nutritional imbalances carried forward through a couple generations but we can still work toward improving our functioning in the present. Most of the mainstream view on issues like this would have us believe that there is no hope for healing and that medication is the only option. I'm sure glad that we have all found the tools necessary to begin restoring the balance instead of being trapped in a hopeless situation. Thanks as always to Ray Peat. He sure has a way of giving hope to otherwise hopeless situations.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals