SSRI Drugs Strikingly Toxic For Fetal Brain, May Cause Autism

haidut

Forum Supporter
As many forum users know, autism rates keep rising and even mainstream medicine has acknowledged that the condition is not genetic. There is significant evidence implicating serotonin overload during pregnancy, yet despite this solid and causative link doctors continue prescribing serotonergic (SSRI) drugs to pregnant women claiming that there is no evidence those drugs are directly harmful for the mother or the child. Well, the study below begs to disagree. It found that paroxetine, one of the most commonly prescribed SSRI drugs, is strikingly toxic to the fetal brain and was capable of inhibiting brain development by up to 75%. Perhaps even more importantly, these effects were seen in therapeutic concentrations known to be achieved easily with commonly prescribed doses and in fact the toxicity was seen even at low concentrations that may be achievable by simply drinking tap water. That's right, tap water. Many people are unaware that the municipal water treatment plants are not capable of removing most of the prescriptions drugs from sewage or ground water sources. As such, most people drinking tap water, or ingesting commercial beverages/food are chronically exposed to a variety of prescription drugs and studies have found that even very low concentrations are sufficient to trigger scary/lethal effects. According to the authors of the new study, the effects seen in their research are fully explainable by the "dysregulation" (the currently fashionable way to label "excess") in serotonin signaling caused by SSRI drugs such as paroxetine, and as such SSRI use during pregnancy is a plausible explanation for the increase in autism rates. Now, if we can only get the FDA to listen and take action...

Antidepressant Paroxetine Exerts Developmental Neurotoxicity in an iPSC-Derived 3D Human Brain Model
Researchers Find Paroxetine Harms Brain Development

"...Researchers, using a lab-grown miniature of the developing human brain, found that the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) paroxetine had numerous neurotoxic effects. They write that their results demonstrate the harmful effects of SSRIs on the developing fetus. “These results identify paroxetine as a potential human developmental neurotoxicant, and suggest that the contraindication for its use should be evaluated and possibly extended far beyond the first trimester of pregnancy.” The researchers were led by David Pamies at the Center for Alternatives to Animal Testing (CAAT) at Johns Hopkins and published their results in Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience."

"...SSRIs can cross the placental barrier in pregnant women, but their effects on fetal development are still somewhat unknown. Scores of studies have demonstrated harmful effects on the fetus, including increased risk of cardiac problems, birth defects, and an increased prevalence of autism, in children who were exposed to SSRIs in the womb. However, SSRIs are still commonly used by pregnant women."

"...The researchers grew two different batches of BrainSpheres and tested two different levels of paroxetine against them. Both levels of paroxetine (20 ng/mL and 60 ng/mL) were considered normal, “therapeutic” levels of the drug. Although the higher level appeared to cause more damage in one of the batches of BrainSpheres, both levels were consistently associated with neurotoxic effects compared to the control BrainSpheres (which did not receive paroxetine). Paroxetine did not appear to directly kill neurons. Instead, it damaged a number of elements of neuronal connection. According to the researchers: “At therapeutic blood concentrations, which lie between 20 and 60 ng/ml, Paroxetine led to an 80% decrease in the expression of synaptic markers, a 60% decrease in neurite outgrowth and a 40–75% decrease in the overall oligodendrocyte cell population, compared to controls.” The harms observed in this study are consistent with the disruption of the serotonin system in the developing brain and could explain the increased prevalence of autism in children whose mothers took an SSRI. They write that these findings should inform further statements about the dangers of paroxetine in pregnant women."

scoobydoo

Super interesting. I have found that by increasing dopamine, and lowering serotonin some of my "autistic like" symptoms subside. I get these involuntary ticks in the face and head that get really tense and frequent. I also tend to have a zombie like emotional state and lack of ability to focus. This all subsides when raising dopamine

I have a family member who had a baby and she was on SSRIs the whole time. The doctor said, it’s perfectly fine. Don’t worry about it.

johnwester130

Some things I would like to say

Some SSRI drugs can raise or lower serotonin. Some raise progesterone.

The root cause of serotonin is gut bacteria

Thoughts on this ?

DavidGardner

Paroxetine made me narcoleptic. I can’t imagine it would be very good for brain development. Fluoxetine is the only SSRI I have taken that was tolerable and that might have been due to its effects on allopregnanolone.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Some things I would like to say

Some SSRI drugs can raise or lower serotonin. Some raise progesterone.

The root cause of serotonin is gut bacteria

Thoughts on this ?

The SSRI drugs all increase extracellular serotonin. Hence their name. But some of them are antagonists on some 5-HT receptors. Prozac, for example, antagonizes 5-HT2C and that lowers cortisol, which has known antidepressant effects. In addition, Prozac, and some of the others that have shown true antidepressant effects, raises allopregnanolone levels by increasing 3a-HSD expression. However, the elevation of serotonin by all SSRI drugs cannot be ignored and is likely highly detrimental in the long run. There is a reason SSRI drugs shorten lifespan in studies while serotonin antagonists increase it.
Serotonin Antagonists Extend Lifespan, SSRI Dramatically Shorten It
Blocking Serotonin Extends Lifespan By 40%, Triples Youthspan

Btw, your brain serotonin will massively increase if you have enough tryptophan in the diet and you are under chronic stress. No bacteria needed. The serotonin bacteria produce causes all the peripheral damage but brain serotonin synthesis is driven mostly by tryptophan availability and the tryptophan/LNAA ratio in the blood.