SSRI Drugs Impair Judgment, Wisdom, Understanding, Love And Empathy

O

oldfriend

Among the several SSRIs I've tried, Prozac was the most effective. I took a low dose for two periods of several months, and strangely the effects were most noticeable when I stopped. The effect lasted for several weeks. I felt euphoric, a sense of clarity and confidence that I can't compare to any other time in my life. Both resulted in the start of a new relationship, so I'm not sure if this could partially be explained by horomones/love, but then the classic chicken vs. egg argument is valid too. It's just odd because my PTSD prevented the formation of any relationship, let alone romantic relationships, over the last decade or so. Can anybody offer an explanation for this phenomenon?

Makrosky

Terrifying things. They must have a huge impact on how we relate to one another in intimate relationship and societally, along with the physiological harm they cause. Another example of really lazy doctoring. there's enough evidence out there now that they are dangerous and yet the prescription rates continue to rise and are given to younger and younger people.

Unvelievable the tons of missunderstanding and emotional pain they cause in relationships where one of the partners starts to take SSRIS. Been there, on both sides of the equation. Anti genuine human relationships pill.

Makrosky

Well, if they leave you in zombified state unable to feel anything, this is rather akin to lobotomy or even general anesthesia. So it is hard to argue that this is a good way of relieving anxiety and depression, let alone therapeutic in the long run. Not very dissimilar to the opioids that so many people abuse these days, probably for the same reason - short term numbing of the pain and negative feelings at the expense of your health and eventually life.

There are different kinds of "anesthesia" I think. Progesterone and pregnenolone can act as "anesthetics" in the sense they can ease a lot emotional suffering, depression, anxiety... But in a different way than SSRI's.

Makrosky

Among the several SSRIs I've tried, Prozac was the most effective. I took a low dose for two periods of several months, and strangely the effects were most noticeable when I stopped. The effect lasted for several weeks. I felt euphoric, a sense of clarity and confidence that I can't compare to any other time in my life. Both resulted in the start of a new relationship, so I'm not sure if this could partially be explained by horomones/love, but then the classic chicken vs. egg argument is valid too. It's just odd because my PTSD prevented the formation of any relationship, let alone romantic relationships, over the last decade or so. Can anybody offer an explanation for this phenomenon?
I had this same experience with Prozac. The "only" bad thing is that you're not really able to feel true intimate empathy for the other. At some point you don't care about it but if you grow up you realize that and only that is what makes us humans. IMHO.

Makrosky

This information is so important.
I know after years of daily SSRIs being forced on my since I was a child, I will likely never become the person I could have been.
People need to be held accountable for poisoning countless thousands of children with this garbage.
Cut that crap immediately. It is not true.

Makrosky

my mom was on klonopin and paroxetine most of my life. i truly believe they made her incapable of loving anyone. i think anyone defending benzos and SSRIs has simply never been close enough to someone on them. my mom has also recommended these drugs to her sisters, all four of which are quite difficult to be around.
my mom was really a nightmare, i spent most of my adolescence running away from her and trying to understand why i had such a crazy mom (who in turn tried to convince people i was crazy). she had 0 empathy but would become fixated on cases of childhood torture and murder, like jean benet ramsey and other sad pathetic news stories. maybe this was an outlet for feeling, because of her incapacity to feel anything. i dont know, but i do know SSRIs and benzos are simply evil and dehumanizing, and based on my experiences i am not exaggerating.
Absolutely. You can feel things but NOT deeply, not genuinely human, that is : empathic. It's like there's a windscreen in between.

It is not the doctors that have this intent. It is the result of Big Pharma's influence and the ideology of performance over functionality. As long as a symptom is quenched you are considered cured. Lacking a wholistic perspective has plagued western medicine since it's creation.
+1

Normally what they look for is that if you are able to keep being productive in your job. All the rest is secondary.

I think a lot of our hysteria comes from the fact SSRI's are so promoted. Such a "sketchy" drug should not be prescribed so nonchalantly for such a wide variety of conditions. Thus we have somewhat of a counterculture here.
And another +1

I remember the first time I got them prescribed. No visit to a psychologist, no visit to a psychiatrist, nothing. Just the GP. It went like this : "Doc, I feel a little bit down, I have difficulties concentrating and I fall asleep easly during the day. What's going on ?". Don't worry, you are gonna be fine, here take this script -> Prozac.

And in less than 10 minutes I was put on SSRI's with only 20-21 years old. I didn't even know anything about it or nothing medical at that time. Boom. This should be considered REALLY bad practice and almost a crime. And I know it happens ALL THE TIME. This is happening right now in your town in your GP's office.

Constatine

I remember the first time I got them prescribed. No visit to a psychologist, no visit to a psychiatrist, nothing. Just the GP. It went like this : "Doc, I feel a little bit down, I have difficulties concentrating and I fall asleep easly during the day. What's going on ?". Don't worry, you are gonna be fine, here take this script -> Prozac.

And in less than 10 minutes I was put on SSRI's with only 20-21 years old. I didn't even know anything about it or nothing medical at that time. Boom. This should be considered REALLY bad practice and almost a crime. And I know it happens ALL THE TIME. This is happening right now in your town in your GP's office.
Wow that's a terrible doctor. Such doctors don't care about the patient's health, they just want to put you on an assembly line and get their money.

Makrosky

Wow that's a terrible doctor. Such doctors don't care about the patient's health, they just want to put you on an assembly line and get their money.
That's really really common in the social security system in my country. Where most of the population get their medical needs covered anyway. It's not an isolated doctor. And they don't any get extra money at all no matter what the diagnosis is or the script they give you. They are paid by the government. So it is just them thinking SSRIs can be given like candy. Really. No bad intentions, just completely ignorance and negligence.

Constatine

That's really really common in the social security system in my country. Where most of the population get their medical needs covered anyway. It's not an isolated doctor. And they don't any get extra money at all no matter what the diagnosis is or the script they give you. They are paid by the government. So it is just them thinking SSRIs can be given like candy. Really. No bad intentions, just completely ignorance and negligence.
I need to read their textbooks sometime. I wonder how much Big Pharma propaganda makes its way in there for so many doctors to be so ignorant.

jyb

Well, if they leave you in zombified state unable to feel anything, this is rather akin to lobotomy or even general anesthesia. So it is hard to argue that this is a good way of relieving anxiety and depression, let alone therapeutic in the long run. Not very dissimilar to the opioids that so many people abuse these days, probably for the same reason - short term numbing of the pain and negative feelings at the expense of your health and eventually life.

Note, the anti serotonin/histamine drugs like Mirtazapine, Cypro or popular anti-histamine can leave you in a zombie emotionless and numbed state too. In my early 20s I was under medication with Mirta for and that is exactly how I felt. I quit and felt incredible, living again. By the time I experimented with cypro I was more experienced, but I could still feel how it could create similar side effects. As for more popular anti-histamines, they are notorious for making you sleepy and confused. People I know who take them have difficulty going through the day. I enjoy reading feedback for drugs on this forum and I notice many have serious problems with cypro.

I do believe from what I read that SSRIs are different and are much more dangerous and have long term side effects, but my point is that they're not the only ones to create the sort of short term effects which seriously impairs your quality of life.

Last edited:
O

oldfriend

I had this same experience with Prozac. The "only" bad thing is that you're not really able to feel true intimate empathy for the other. At some point you don't care about it but if you grow up you realize that and only that is what makes us humans. IMHO.
I wouldn't say this was my experience. Perhaps this empathy was eclipsed by the euphoria, but the capability was still there. I was on the lowest dose btw. I was curious about the biological mechanism for the potent effect the drug had after stopping. Perhaps increased levels of allopregnenolone, and lowered serotonergic effects? Or something else? It felt a bit like serotonin syndrome.

Waynish

Any recommended books, protocols, or therapies for people who have been on SSRIs for a lifetime? I hate to recommend going off due to the terrible side effects, but I know some people who might benefit if there were a more fool proof procedure.

LUH 3417

Note, the anti serotonin/histamine drugs like Mirtazapine, Cypro or popular anti-histamine can leave you in a zombie emotionless and numbed state too. In my early 20s I was under medication with Mirta for and that is exactly how I felt. I quit and felt incredible, living again. By the time I experimented with cypro I was more experienced, but I could still feel how it could create similar side effects. As for more popular anti-histamines, they are notorious for making you sleepy and confused. People I know who take them have difficulty going through the day. I enjoy reading feedback for drugs on this forum and I notice many have serious problems with cypro.

I do believe from what I read that SSRIs are different and are much more dangerous and have long term side effects, but my point is that they're not the only ones to create the sort of short term effects which seriously impairs your quality of life.
I wouldn't describe myself as zombified on cypro. I would say I'm less reactive to emotional upsets and can control my behavior in tense situations without really having to try or do anything. I'm not numb, I'm just less easy to insult and incite.

Catcream

Any recommended books, protocols, or therapies for people who have been on SSRIs for a lifetime? I hate to recommend going off due to the terrible side effects, but I know some people who might benefit if there were a more fool proof procedure.
There is a great website called mad in America mad in america - Google Search , by and for people in mental health. Also a book by dr Kelly brogan about the dangers of these meds. She was a psychiatrist who became disillusioned by the pharma industry.

Catcream

After 30 years on various anti depressants , my mother suffers seizures and seems indifferent to most things. Unable to form relationships. I remember fifteen years ago or so she came off them and it was the first time we'd had an emotional connection in years - she said all she could do was cry . So she went back on them . She's still depressed and socially isolated and just sleeps or does the crossword. And drinks. It's heartbreaking . I miss my mother .

Makrosky

I wouldn't say this was my experience. Perhaps this empathy was eclipsed by the euphoria, but the capability was still there. I was on the lowest dose btw. I was curious about the biological mechanism for the potent effect the drug had after stopping. Perhaps increased levels of allopregnenolone, and lowered serotonergic effects? Or something else? It felt a bit like serotonin syndrome.

Ok, yes, good for you if you still had it. It will depend on many things anyway like dose, age, previous life experience, etc.

Beware I keep saying I also had very good times with Prozac. For me it really acted like a true antidepressant and magnified almost every aspect of health, except what I talked about emotions and empathy. Well, I must add that the right combination was Prozac + Marijuana. Doctors give it like candy because it works. In my case the nightmare came when I got off it, specially after some years use.

Last edited:
Normally what they look for is that if you are able to keep being productive in your job. All the rest is secondary.

This. It's one reason why in the United States we continue to have an economy that is simultaneously functional from the standpoint of GDP and dysfunctional from the standpoint of human intimacy and well-being.

Waynish

Ok, yes, good for you if you still had it. It will depend on many things anyway like dose, age, previous life experience, etc.

Beware I keep saying I also had very good times with Prozac. For me it really acted like a true antidepressant and magnified almost every aspect of health, except what I talked about emotions and empathy. Well, I must add that the right combination was Prozac + Marijuana. Doctors give it like candy because it works. In my case the nightmare came when I got off it, specially after some years use.

Still use it? Recommended way of getting off? I've a friend who is skeptical about possibly tapering off...

Makrosky

Still use it? Recommended way of getting off? I've a friend who is skeptical about possibly tapering off...
No I'm not using it, for more than 8 years. I got off it with priscilla slagle's method : 5-htp, l-tyrosine, etc. But tjat was long before I knew Ray's ideas. There are many other posts on the forum discussing this. Have you looked for them? Lots of valuable info.

What I would do is taper it down slowly. There are lots of people who quit it without side effects. You could be one of those.

If that doesn't work... Then... Obviously the usual suspects : pregnenolone, thyroid, coffee, lots of calories, easily digestible food, calcium, fat solubles, liver, etc. I would be very cautious about using things likw cyproheptadine or tianwptine at this point because you are used to function with serotonin/stress hormones (due to SSRI's) and opposing it straight can leave you depressed as hell. Better start increasing metabolism while you tapper it off.
Look for other posts there are tons of good info. Ask if you need more details. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom