SSRI Drugs Impair Judgment, Wisdom, Understanding, Love And Empathy

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Among the several SSRIs I've tried, Prozac was the most effective. I took a low dose for two periods of several months, and strangely the effects were most noticeable when I stopped. The effect lasted for several weeks. I felt euphoric, a sense of clarity and confidence that I can't compare to any other time in my life. Both resulted in the start of a new relationship, so I'm not sure if this could partially be explained by horomones/love, but then the classic chicken vs. egg argument is valid too. It's just odd because my PTSD prevented the formation of any relationship, let alone romantic relationships, over the last decade or so. Can anybody offer an explanation for this phenomenon?

Prozac is an 5-HT2C antagonist, similar to cyproheptadine. Most 5-Ht2C antagonists stimulate allopreganolone production and are known potent antidepressants. Unfortunately, the serotonergic effects of Prozac really accumulate over time and fibrsis and psychosis set in with chronic use.
Why does Prozac work?

Jsaute21

This is a fascinating debrief. My friends dad used to take Zoloft. Brilliant man and a good father overall. He ended up getting a very demanding job and was prescribed Zoloft along with a heavy drinking habit. He had an affair on his wife and attributes a lot of his behavior to Zoloft. He takes full responsibility but says there was a hollowness and nobody else's feelings mattered on these drugs.

Shadow

I was on SSRI for about 10 years(paroxetine and escitalopram). When I stopped taking paroxetine I had very mild side effects from discontinuation but nothing more. When I stopped escitalopram... well, Im still in hell! The things that Im feeling are maddening!
- PSSD(very similar to PFS)
- My WHOLE body is numb, my sensitivity is like 30%
- My nerves buzz all the time, in my legs I feel something like restless leg syndrome
- High pitched tinnitus
- Hyperacusis(some frequencies of sound make my years vibrates and hurts)
- My cognition is like crap(Its hard to remember words)
- My emotions are swinging like crazy

Doctors knows nothing, they tell thats all in my head...
SSRIs took me my life...

Peata

I was on SSRI for about 10 years(paroxetine and escitalopram). When I stopped taking paroxetine I had very mild side effects from discontinuation but nothing more. When I stopped escitalopram... well, Im still in hell! The things that Im feeling are maddening!
- My nerves buzz all the time, in my legs I feel something like restless leg syndrome
- High pitched tinnitus

SSRIs took me my life...
I took both of those drugs in the past, they are harsh to get off of.

I used to use some Benadryl when the withdrawal symptoms were at their worst, but now I would use Cyproheptadine if I were in that situation. Have you tried it?

Shadow

I took both of those drugs in the past, they are harsh to get off of.

I used to use some Benadryl when the withdrawal symptoms were at their worst, but now I would use Cyproheptadine if I were in that situation. Have you tried it?

I tried nothing yet. Did you had any of the symptoms that I described?

Peata

I tried nothing yet. Did you had any of the symptoms that I described?
Yeah, I did have at least a few of them, and some others. There are posts from probably 2013 on here where I talked about it with some others going through withdrawals.

I think it's worse if you don't slowly taper off, but that's just my experience. And even after a slow taper, it could take a long time to be free of withdrawal symptoms. It's a long-haul thing, but don't give up.

Constatine

- High pitched tinnitus

SSRIs took me my life...
I had these symptoms during a time I had endotoxin shock. I think it originates in the stomach.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
- High pitched tinnitus

SSRIs took me my life...

Well, #1 and #4 are classic symptoms of high serotonin. Cypro is used clinically for both. See below.
https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/ssri-serotonin-worsens-tinnitus.19348/

Makrosky

I always find lowering serotonin makes me more spiritual. But does this mean that a lack of spirituality is in part due to high serotonin? In my experience it would make sense.

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread. My experience with serotonin/spirituality is non-conclusive. Here are the effects :

- Prozac (more serotonin) : Less spirituality
- Cyproheptadine (less serotonin) : Even less spirituality
- MDMA (more serotonin?) : More spirituality
- Ayahuasca (more serotonin) : More spirituality
- Usual Peat things like fat solubles, niacinamide, coffee, etc. (less serotonin) : Less spirituality
- 5-HTP (more serotonin) : More spirituality

So, mixed bag. Impossible to give a conclusive answer.

johnwester130

What happens when when 50% of the population have cancer, alzheimers and are taking SSRIs ?

Are we over as a civilisation ?

Back
Top Bottom