Squalane The Best Pufa Free Moisturiser?

Peatfan19

Hi guys.

Recently been having extreme dry skin especially on my face. Trying to figure this out through nutrition but in the mean time desperate for some relief! From research it seems that squalane from olive oil is the best source.
Looks like this is the best one I can get: Emolliating Olive Squalane O7

Would it be true that every single squalane is 100% saturated including the one I linked above?
Do you guys think it is the best option for skin?
Would it be safe to apply this to the head of the penis? And around that area? Without no hormone disruption whatever..?

Thanks guys

I have been suffering from dry skin most of my adult life, and recently started using wheat germ oil with remarkable results. My skin has acquired a softness, suppleness and radiance I didn't realise was possible for someone in his late 40's (male), and the lines and wrinkles have been dramatically softened. This is likely due to the anti-oxidative and rejuvenating properties of the high Vitamin E content of WGO. WGO also contains a reasonable amount of squalene, as per below:

MDPI | Error 404 File not found ("Biological and pharmacological activities of squalene and related compounds: potential uses in cosmetic dermatology.")

I am however not sure what the risks are (if any) of topically applying a product with a high PUFA content (54.8 g of total omega-6 fatty acids per 100g of WGO, mostly Linoleic Acid) to the skin, any ideas would be appreciated.

Ben Stone

Hi guys, interested nearly 2 years later on this thread to hear how different folks have been doing with the various ideas/products discussed here as a moisturizer?

rei

This thread gave me a trip, people are using squalene? The poison in some vaccines used to illicit a hyper-activated immune response to produce "antibodies" ?

Attakai

This thread gave me a trip, people are using squalene? The poison in some vaccines used to illicit a hyper-activated immune response to produce "antibodies" ?
Yes and no, it is a combination of squalene and surfactants that cause the immune response. Squalene on its own doesn't, besides the body produces it naturally anyways.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I had to dig deep into my old conversations to find this but it doesn’t seem that Ray was a fan of squalane. Here’s his response to a forum member when asked about it:
Squalane is a long saturated carbon chain, essentially the same as mineral oil.
Arthritis Res Ther. 2005;7(6):R1296-303. Epub 2005 Sep 23.
Association between occupational exposure to mineral oil and rheumatoid
arthritis: results from the Swedish EIRA case-control study.

Sverdrup B, Kallberg H, Bengtsson C, Lundberg I, Padyukov L, Alfredsson L,
Klareskog L; Epidemiological Investigation of Rheumatoid Arthritis Study Group.
Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm,
Sweden. [email protected]
The aim of the present study was to investigate the association between exposure
to mineral oil and the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and in
addition to perform a separate analysis on the major subphenotypes for the
disease; namely, rheumatoid factor (RF)-positive RA, RF-negative RA,
anticitrulline-positive RA and anticitrulline-negative RA, respectively. A
population-based case-control study of incident cases of RA was performed among
the population aged 18-70 years in a defined area of Sweden during May
1996-December 2003. A case was defined as an individual from the study base who
for the first time received a diagnosis of RA according to the American College
of Rheumatology criteria of 1987. Controls were randomly selected from the study
base with consideration taken for age, gender and residential area. Cases (n =
1,419) and controls (n = 1,674) answered an extensive questionnaire regarding
lifestyle factors and occupational exposures, including different types of
mineral oils. Sera from cases and controls were investigated for RF and
anticitrulline antibodies.Among men, exposure to any mineral oil was associated
with a 30% increased relative risk of developing RA (relative risk = 1.3, 95%
confidence interval = 1.0-1.7). When cases were subdivided into RF-positive RA
and RF-negative RA, an increased risk
was only observed for RF-positive RA
(relative risk = 1.4, 95% confidence interval 1.0-2.0). When RA cases were
subdivided according to the presence of anticitrulline antibodies, an increased
risk associated with exposure to any mineral oil was observed only for
anticitrulline-positive RA (relative risk = 1.6, 95% confidence interval =
1.1-2.2). Analysis of the interaction between oil exposure and the presence of
HLA-DR shared epitope genes regarding the incidence of RA indicated that the
increased risk associated with exposure to mineral oil was not related to the
presence of shared epitope genotypes. In conclusion, our study shows that
exposure to mineral oil is associated with an increased risk to develop

RF-positive RA and anticitrulline-positive RA, respectively. The findings are of
particular interest since the same mineral oils can induce polyarthritis in
rats."

Kray

I had to dig deep into my old conversations to find this but it doesn’t seem that Ray was a fan of squalane. Here’s his response to a forum member when asked about it:
Squalane is a long saturated carbon chain, essentially the same as mineral oil.
Arthritis Res Ther. 2005;7(6):R1296-303. Epub 2005 Sep 23.
Association between occupational exposure to mineral oil and rheumatoid
arthritis: results from the Swedish EIRA case-control study.

Sverdrup B, Kallberg H, Bengtsson C, Lundberg I, Padyukov L, Alfredsson L,
Klareskog L; Epidemiological Investigation of Rheumatoid Arthritis Study Group.
Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm,
Sweden. [email protected]
The aim of the present study was to investigate the association between exposure
to mineral oil and the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and in
addition to perform a separate analysis on the major subphenotypes for the
disease; namely, rheumatoid factor (RF)-positive RA, RF-negative RA,
anticitrulline-positive RA and anticitrulline-negative RA, respectively. A
population-based case-control study of incident cases of RA was performed among
the population aged 18-70 years in a defined area of Sweden during May
1996-December 2003. A case was defined as an individual from the study base who
for the first time received a diagnosis of RA according to the American College
of Rheumatology criteria of 1987. Controls were randomly selected from the study
base with consideration taken for age, gender and residential area. Cases (n =
1,419) and controls (n = 1,674) answered an extensive questionnaire regarding
lifestyle factors and occupational exposures, including different types of
mineral oils. Sera from cases and controls were investigated for RF and
anticitrulline antibodies.Among men, exposure to any mineral oil was associated
with a 30% increased relative risk of developing RA (relative risk = 1.3, 95%
confidence interval = 1.0-1.7). When cases were subdivided into RF-positive RA
and RF-negative RA, an increased risk
was only observed for RF-positive RA
(relative risk = 1.4, 95% confidence interval 1.0-2.0). When RA cases were
subdivided according to the presence of anticitrulline antibodies, an increased
risk associated with exposure to any mineral oil was observed only for
anticitrulline-positive RA (relative risk = 1.6, 95% confidence interval =
1.1-2.2). Analysis of the interaction between oil exposure and the presence of
HLA-DR shared epitope genes regarding the incidence of RA indicated that the
increased risk associated with exposure to mineral oil was not related to the
presence of shared epitope genotypes. In conclusion, our study shows that
exposure to mineral oil is associated with an increased risk to develop

RF-positive RA and anticitrulline-positive RA, respectively. The findings are of
particular interest since the same mineral oils can induce polyarthritis in
rats."
Great find Blossom. Is there any chance this refers to ingesting the oil (squalene) vs applying topical (squalane)? Seems there could be confusion between the two and their applications/uses, since squalane is supposed to be 100% saturated, whereas squalene is not? There isn't any reference to which in the study, just the category of "mineral oil". I am interested in trying the saturated squalane for dry skin, which does appear a better alternative, at a glance, compared to Vaseline.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Great find Blossom. Is there any chance this refers to ingesting the oil (squalene) vs applying topical (squalane)? Seems there could be confusion between the two and their applications/uses, since squalane is supposed to be 100% saturated, whereas squalene is not? There isn't any reference to which in the study, just the category of "mineral oil". I am interested in trying the saturated squalane for dry skin, which does appear a better alternative, at a glance, compared to Vaseline.
Here’s the beginning of the quote if it helps any. It appears to be specifically referring to skincare. I selfishly wish he was still around for clarification. I did find it a bit odd that the references were all about mineral oil too.

“I have known people who had youthful looking skin into their 70s, who had always avoided skin treatments, including washing except for removing dirt. Soaps, moisturizers, and sunscreen are all disrupters of skin physiology. A good vitamin D status is extremely protective against sun damage. "

• "Vitamin A is safe to use on the skin, and can help to increase its vitality; it can be mixed with a little lanolin, and the sterols in that work in the same direction. Vitamin A shouldn’t be used on the skin when you are going to get prolonged sun exposure. Squalane is a long saturated carbon chain, essentially the same as mineral oil.

Kray

Here’s the beginning of the quote if it helps any. It appears to be specifically referring to skincare. I selfishly wish he was still around for clarification. I did find it a bit odd that the references were all about mineral oil too.

“I have known people who had youthful looking skin into their 70s, who had always avoided skin treatments, including washing except for removing dirt. Soaps, moisturizers, and sunscreen are all disrupters of skin physiology. A good vitamin D status is extremely protective against sun damage. "

• "Vitamin A is safe to use on the skin, and can help to increase its vitality; it can be mixed with a little lanolin, and the sterols in that work in the same direction. Vitamin A shouldn’t be used on the skin when you are going to get prolonged sun exposure. Squalane is a long saturated carbon chain, essentially the same as mineral

• "Vitamin A is safe to use on the skin, and can help to increase its vitality; it can be mixed with a little lanolin, and the sterols in that work in the same direction. Vitamin A shouldn’t be used on the skin when you are going to get prolonged sun exposure. Squalane is a long saturated carbon chain, essentially the same as mineral oil.
Thanks, that's really helpful. I think I'll stay clear of it, to be safe. I was going to try some for extremely dry flaky (facial) skin. I've tried tallow balm in the past, maybe try that again, starting simple. Do you have any other suggestions along the lines of what Peat suggested for good moisturizing and overall youthful skin?

Edit: I understand what he says about squalane's chemical properties, but what about it coming from vegetable source, such as olives? In fact, it is promoted as a subsitute for mineral oil-based products, because it is vegetable-based. I found this article: What is squalane oil and the skin benefits | Paula's Choice

So, if true that olive-based squalane isn't a mineral oil source, is it considered to be safe?

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thanks, that's really helpful. I think I'll stay clear of it, to be safe. I was going to try some for extremely dry flaky (facial) skin. I've tried tallow balm in the past, maybe try that again, starting simple. Do you have any other suggestions along the lines of what Peat suggested for good moisturizing and overall youthful skin?

Edit: I understand what he says about squalane's chemical properties, but what about it coming from vegetable source, such as olives? In fact, it is promoted as a subsitute for mineral oil-based products, because it is vegetable-based. I found this article: What is squalane oil and the skin benefits | Paula's Choice

So, if true that olive-based squalane isn't a mineral oil source, is it considered to be safe?
I wish I knew the answer. I’ve been using jojoba recently and I’m happy with it. I thought it was Peat approved from my early days on the forum but I should probably research it further and not assume. :)

Kray

I wish I knew the answer. I’ve been using jojoba recently and I’m happy with it. I thought it was Peat approved from my early days on the forum but I should probably research it further and not assume. :)
Is jojoba for dry skin, or basic moisturizer? Do you use vit A or tallow, or other Peaty things?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Is jojoba for dry skin, or basic moisturizer? Do you use vit A or tallow, or other Peaty things?
It’s supposed to be the really close to our natural sebum. I put it on damp skin and massage it in well then wipe off the excess with a damp cloth. I tend to be a bit on the oily side.
Edit: I’m not currently using anything else on my skin and I cleans with charcoal soap.

Kray

It’s supposed to be the really close to our natural sebum. I put it on damp skin and massage it in well then wipe off the excess with a damp cloth. I tend to be a bit on the oily side.
Edit: I’m not currently using anything else on my skin and I cleans with charcoal soap.
Yes, I have heard that about jojoba. I have some, maybe I will give it a try. Do you make your own charcoal soap? Would you be willing to share your recipe (or brand)? Thank you!

Oh- and do you have a favorite brand of jojoba to share as well?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes, I have heard that about jojoba. I have some, maybe I will give it a try. Do you make your own charcoal soap? Would you be willing to share your recipe (or brand)? Thank you!

Oh- and do you have a favorite brand of jojoba to share as well?
I use Life Giving Store Charcoal Soap. Their Cholesterol Soap (and all their soap!) is excellent. The jojoba I have currently is this one:
5A70909F-7F35-4FB5-AF60-EADCD4C109AF.png

Kray

I use Life Giving Store Charcoal Soap. Their Cholesterol Soap (and all their soap!) is excellent. The jojoba I have currently is this one:
View attachment 45747
Oh thank you! I saw that brand online just a few moments ago, looks great. I'm really hopeful this might be a magic bullet for my skin- it reads to be very promising- and a great natural option. Thank you Blossom!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Oh thank you! I saw that brand online just a few moments ago, looks great. I'm really hopeful this might be a magic bullet for my skin- it reads to be very promising- and a great natural option. Thank you Blossom!
You’re welcome. I hope it works for you.

Peatful

Im not encouraging nor discouraging.
But….
Jojoba is a seed oil.

By that definition it would not be Peat approved.

My opinion only.

He likes lanolin (too viscous for my skin) and probably tallow?
Vitamin E probs too.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Im not encouraging nor discouraging.
But….
Jojoba is a seed oil.

By that definition it would not be Peat approved.

My opinion only.

He likes lanolin (too viscous for my skin) and probably tallow?
Vitamin E probs too.
I fully understand your concern but the name is a bit misleading because in composition it’s more of a wax ester. Sorry to link Wikipedia but this article explains it nicely.

Peatful

I fully understand your concern but the name is a bit misleading because in composition it’s more of a wax ester. Sorry to link Wikipedia but this article explains it nicely.
Ok. Interesting.
Hence why you wipe excess.
I see.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals