Squalane Oil For Moisturizer?

ilovethesea

Lately coconut oil is not moisturizing my face enough for the dry winter weather.

I'm looking at a squalane oil that is derived from olive oil.

I can't find anything stating its fatty acid composition, but Wikipedia says squalane is saturated (unlike squalene) and resistant to oxidation. Squalane - Wikipedia

Would this be a good saturated oil alternative to coconut oil?

HLP

I render my own beef tallow and mix it with Progest E.

Queequeg

I use sebum with a touch of niacinamide

A. squamosa

Hey,
I don't use it exclusively or very regularly, I change my skin stuff up day to day. I may not be the best person to ask because of my rosacea too (which in my experience never subsides solely due to topical remedies). All that being said, it doesn't aggravate my extremely sensitive/rosacea-y skin, a little goes a long way, it's assimilated by my skin nicely without the comedogenic effects I found with coconut oil, it feels comfortable on the skin, it's definitely safe re: anti-aging, so I expect good/not damaging long term effects. I recommend it.

What do you want out of a moisturiser? Solving dry spots/soothing roughness/getting rid of flakes/chronic dryness?

@Jacinta post Ageless Peater

Any personal reports on squalane oil for a moisturizer?

A. squamosa

squalane is 100% saturated so very safe on that front.
As a moisturising process I would recommend a light regular exfoliation, followed by a serum, followed by an oil or moisturising cream, then depending on what you have used for that third step, and only if necessary, a barrier oil, e.g. jojoba oil (actually a liquid wax).

Lately coconut oil is not moisturizing my face enough for the dry winter weather.

I'm looking at a squalane oil that is derived from olive oil.

I can't find anything stating its fatty acid composition, but Wikipedia says squalane is saturated (unlike squalene) and resistant to oxidation. Squalane - Wikipedia

Would this be a good saturated oil alternative to coconut oil?

Orion

What do you want out of a moisturiser? Solving dry spots/soothing roughness/getting rid of flakes/chronic dryness?

Looking to help with flakiness and hold moisture.

I think I still have estrogen symptoms in skin on my face; thin skin, flaking but oily, dehydrated. Found some squalane oil and is on the way, will experiment and report back.

Note

Olive oil and coconut oil it's comedogenic, even jojoba oil it's 2 rate.

A. squamosa

Thanks @Jacinta very interesting. Do you think Squalane oil could help with the reduction in wrinkles? Have you found any drawbacks with it?
Hey,
I don't think I have enough knowledge/experience to comment on whether it would reduce wrinkles, but I don't believe it would contribute to them at all. The only drawback is when I put too much on and my face is all oily, as I said, a little goes a long way!

With wrinkles, I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not, but I do think my combo red/infrared light eases/decreases severity of my fine lines

A. squamosa

Looking to help with flakiness and hold moisture.

I think I still have estrogen symptoms in skin on my face; thin skin, flaking but oily, dehydrated. Found some squalane oil and is on the way, will experiment and report back.

Your difficulty with retaining moisture sounds partially like what I deal with. Before putting on an oil or cream you should use a humectant. I use a (crazy expensive) serum which is simply glycerin and some seed polysaccharide (I don't know what that is!). If I put on oil without it, oil won't do much for me. The serum alone does a lot, but also seems to bring my skin to a point where it's more willing to accept oil as a moisturiser.

A. squamosa

Also, it sounds counter-intuitive, but doing a (chemical/enzyme) exfoliation - they have varying degrees of strength- is an excellent way to prepare your skin to accept moisturiser.

A. squamosa

also (sorry to spam!) I'm pretty sure honey is a humectant. You could try a honey mask for 20 mins then after washing it off, slap on that oil!

Note

What about shea butter?
I have read good stuff, I apply it under my eyes.

Jacinta what serum do you use?

Orion

Squalane oil has helped with my flaky skin, tried two small drops for about a week. But stopping for now, seems to irritate eyes(bloodshot), when only used on nose on forehead in very small amounts.

Also seems that the small amount it has some affect on my digestion, not sure how this is related or if related... but digestion was off all week.

Might be something that I use sparingly and in very small amounts when needed on dry skin.

EIRE24

Squalane oil has helped with my flaky skin, tried two small drops for about a week. But stopping for now, seems to irritate eyes(bloodshot), when only used on nose on forehead in very small amounts.

Also seems that the small amount it has some affect on my digestion, not sure how this is related or if related... but digestion was off all week.

Might be something that I use sparingly and in very small amounts when needed on dry skin.
Where did you get the squalane oil from? If i'm correct, this is the oil that actually helps fight acne? I would love to try it out. You got no acne while trying this?

Orion

Where did you get the squalane oil from? If i'm correct, this is the oil that actually helps fight acne? I would love to try it out. You got no acne while trying this?

No breakouts, seems to have reduced inflammation. It does leave oily residue when on, so probably best over night. Ordered it from a healthstore website, there seems to be lots of brands(derived from Olives).

I would be interested if it affects your eyes and digestion if you do try. I purchased this one from a different site: Indie Lee - Squalane Facial Oil - Face

EIRE24

Thanks for the link, I will purchase it tonight and give it a try when it arrives. I'm intrigued to know if it will fix some of the dry skin and acne that I have.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals