Spontaneous goiter and metabolism crash

velo

Hello everyone, maybe someone has some ideas regarding this..

I was doing quite well on a Ray Peat diet and finally getting my hormones under control. Then had a very stressful event + tried out a new supplement (progestene by haidut!) and the day after developed a very strong tight feeling in my throat + pain swallowing, as well as all low metabolism symptoms I had previously.. temperature dropped by 0.5C, constipation, coated tongue, dandruff, waking up in the middle of the night, sleeping very poorly but being exhausted. It is about 6 days later and no improvement. I went to a doctor who said my thyroid feels a big enlarged and swollen and sent me to an ultrasound, that I would like to avoid if I can..

Never thought one stressful event could set one back like this, but obviously it can.. I must have just stressed my thyroid out completely to the point it shut down/swelled up very rapidly with the combination of the bike race + new supplement.

Any ideas what to do help the body a bit? I continue taking prog-e as I did this before, but not even a dose of 100 ml makes any real difference, get a bit sleepy for 15 minutes but then back to feeling "wired and tired". I tried to nibble on NTD during the day today but it makes the tightness/pain of swallowing worse.. I also had bad experiences with NTD previously, feeling better initially but inevitably 4 days later I always have a lot of adrenaline and have to stop taking it.

I take some vitamin e, taurine and inositol. About 100 g protein/ day and 400 grams carbs/day. Would like to take aspirin but it gives me a lot of stomach upset so weary to try it.

On one hand it's interesting to see that it is indeed my thyroid that is causing the problems and somehow I need to address it (NTD has not worked previously), but have to admit I am really surprised how bad it got, and a bit afraid. Any help would be appreciated.

milk_lover

I am not an expert to help you with your issue. I am sure other members can help you.. But I might offer something about Aspirin intake.
velo said:
post 102582 Would like to take aspirin but it gives me a lot of stomach upset so weary to try it.
I had the same thing when I took Aspirin. I think you have to start in low doses until your stomach gets used to it. The forum members tara and schultz mentioned glycine/gelatin and baking soda help reduce stomach issues with Aspirin intake.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
V

velo

milk_lover said:
post 102590 I am not an expert to help you with your issue. I am sure other members can help you.. But I might offer something about Aspirin intake.
velo said:
post 102582 Would like to take aspirin but it gives me a lot of stomach upset so weary to try it.
I had the same thing when I took Aspirin. I think you have to start in low doses until your stomach gets used to it. The forum members tara and schultz mentioned glycine/gelatin and baking soda help reduce stomach issues with Aspirin intake.

Thanks for the advice, I will try that. I had an ulcer once so my stomach is very sensitive, I don't tolerate aspirin or gelatine well at all. But will try to take it with baking soda.

As an update, I got my lab results back and my THS has dropped to 0.8 from 1.6 about three months ago.

TSH = 0.8 (0.27-4.2)
FT3 = 3 (2-4.4)
FT4 = 1.59 (0.93-1.7)

So I made myself hyperthyroid over night? High ft3 and high ft4, what does that mean?

Giraffe

velo said:
post 102814 So I made myself hyperthyroid over night? High ft3 and high ft4, what does that mean?
Ray Peat said:
If a person has an enlarged thyroid gland, progesterone promotes secretion and unloading of the stored "colloid," and can bring on a temporary hyperthyroid state. This is a corrective process, and in itself isn't harmful. A thyroid supplement should be used to shrink the goiter before progesterone is given. Progesterone Summaries

OP
V

velo

Giraffe said:
velo said:
post 102814 So I made myself hyperthyroid over night? High ft3 and high ft4, what does that mean?
Ray Peat said:
If a person has an enlarged thyroid gland, progesterone promotes secretion and unloading of the stored "colloid," and can bring on a temporary hyperthyroid state. This is a corrective process, and in itself isn't harmful. A thyroid supplement should be used to shrink the goiter before progesterone is given. Progesterone Summaries

Thanks you, yes I read this many times, but don't understand how to apply it my situation. I was using very high doses of progesterone already, then got an enlarged thyroid because of something else seemingly.. does this mean to stop using progesterone even though I was already using it before with good results? I also know it is not advisable to stop it cold turkey.

Every time I tried an NTD (nibbling through the day up to 1/4th) I get very hard adrenaline symptoms and after four days have to stop. Never figured out how to overcome that..

Giraffe

velo said:
post 102819 Thanks you, yes I read this many times, but don't understand how to apply it my situation. I was using very high doses of progesterone already, then got an enlarged thyroid because of something else seemingly.. does this mean to stop using progesterone even though I was already using it before with good results? I also know it is not advisable to stop it cold turkey.

Every time I tried an NTD (nibbling through the day up to 1/4th) I get very hard adrenaline symptoms and after four days have to stop. Never figured out how to overcome that..
I am sure that single events can set you back. I have experienced this several times. Just eating out, not eating enough... causes it.
Your symtoms don't sound like hyperthyroidism, but like you are more hypo now.

Want to ask your question regarding progesterone in Haidut's Progestene-thead?

OP
V

velo

Giraffe said:
post 102837
velo said:
post 102819 Thanks you, yes I read this many times, but don't understand how to apply it my situation. I was using very high doses of progesterone already, then got an enlarged thyroid because of something else seemingly.. does this mean to stop using progesterone even though I was already using it before with good results? I also know it is not advisable to stop it cold turkey.

I am sure that single events can set you back. I have experienced this several times. Just eating out, not eating enough... causes it.
Your symtoms don't sound like hyperthyroidism, but like you are more hypo now.

Want to ask your question regarding progesterone in Haidut's Progestene-thead?

Yes of course you are right.. I had a feeling this bike race would leave me whiped out but usually I am fine after some days with some high adrenaline days, never thought it would be so serious. Feel like I have an elephant in my throat. Have to learn to take care more.

Great idea, I will do that. Will do the ultrasound tomorrow just to check how the thyroid looks, then will post in the thread. I lowered my intake if prog-e for now.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals