SPM - like 2.5 gallons of fish oil in a single pill?

ironfist

So, apparently SPMs target inflammation, but they find the inflammation AFTER the process has happened, when you are done with inflammation, not beforehand, if inflammation might be useful.

SPM = Specialized proresolving mediators. Additional info: Specialized pro-resolving mediators: A new tool for resolving inflammation

Is it possible to reduce inflammation too much?

Here is a website that says an SPM pill is equivalent to 2.5 gallons of fish oil:

Last edited:

Thalgo

I don't get it, from the ingredients list it seems just overpriced fish oil (which might even go rancid due to heat during transportation)

From their site:

SPM Active Ingredients:

Each softgel of SPM Active contains:

500 mg of Fish Oil (derived from a blend of sardine, anchovy and mackerel), providing 50 mg EPA and 100 mg DHA.

Non-medicinal ingredients: Mixed tocopherol concentrate, softgel shell (gelatin, glycerin, and water), and silica.

This product is non-GMO and gluten-free.

L Dallara ND

SPM Active Metagenics

Active Fractionated Marine Lipid Concentrate
18-hydroxy-eicosapentaenoic acid (18-HEPE)
17-hydroxy-docosahexaenoic acid (17-HDHA) and
14-hydroxy-docosahexaenoic acid (14-HDHA)

Devils in the details

mostlylurking

SPM Active Metagenics

Active Fractionated Marine Lipid Concentrate
18-hydroxy-eicosapentaenoic acid (18-HEPE)
17-hydroxy-docosahexaenoic acid (17-HDHA) and
14-hydroxy-docosahexaenoic acid (14-HDHA)

Devils in the details
But what does that MEAN??? Looks like a lot of PUFA to me. I took some fish oil before I found Peat, for about 12 months. In that time, I developed a lipofuscin age spot on my cheek almost 1/2" in diameter and cataracts. Since stopping all PUFA, including fish oil, the lipofuscin has faded and reduced in size and the cataracts are better even though I'm 8 years older.

L Dallara ND

Special pro-resolving mediator (SPM) actions in regulating gastrointestinal inflammation and gut mucosal immune responses​

Surfaces covered by epithelial cells, termed mucosal surfaces, serve special functions as selectively permeable barriers that partition the host and the outside world. Given its close association to microbial antigens, the intestinal mucosa has evolved creative mechanisms to maintain homeostasis, to prevent excessive inflammatory responses, and to promote rapid and full inflammatory resolution. In recent years, an active role for the epithelium has been attributed to the local generation of specialized pro-resolving mediators (SPMs) in the maintenance of immunological homeostasis. In this brief review, we highlight evidence that the epithelium actively contributes to coordination and resolution of inflammation, principally through the generation of SPMs. These autacoids are derived from omega-6 and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Acting through widely expressed G-protein coupled receptors, SPMs are implicated in the resolution of acute inflammation that manifests specific, epithelial-directed actions focused on mucosal-homeostasis, including regulation of leukocyte trafficking, the generation of antimicrobial peptides, the dampening of endotoxin signaling, and the attenuation of mucosal cytokine responses.

Today, persistent and uncontrolled inflammation is appreciated to play a pivotal role in many diseases, such as cardiovascular disease, neurodegenerative diseases, metabolic syndrome, and many other diseases of public health concern (e.g. COVID-19 and periodontal disease). The ideal response to initial challenge in humans is a self-limited inflammatory response leading to complete resolution. The resolution phase is now widely recognized as a biosynthetically active process, governed by a superfamily of endogenous chemical mediators that stimulate resolution of inflammatory responses, namely specialized proresolving mediators (SPMs). Because resolution is the natural ideal response, the SPMs have gained attention. SPMs are mediators that include omege-6 arachidonic acid-derived lipoxins, omega-3 EPA and DHA derived resolvins, protectins and maresins, cysteinyl-SPMs, as well as n-3 DPA derived SPMs. These novel immunoresolvents, their biosynthetic pathways and receptors have proven to promote resolution of inflammation, clearance of microbes, reduce pain and promote tissue regeneration via specific cellular and molecular mechanisms. As of July 20, 2020, PubMed.gov reports >1,150 publications for resolvins, confirming their potent protective actions from many laboratories worldwide. Since this field is rapidly expanding, we provide a short update of advances within 2–3 years from human and preclinical animal studies, together with the structural-functional elucidation of SPMs and identification of novel SPM receptors. These new discoveries indicate that SPMs, their pathways and receptors could provide a basis for new approaches to treating inflammation-associated diseases and to stimulating tissue regeneration via resolution pharmacology.