Spices!

G

gummybear

So.

What do avoid and what spices are safe?

Not safe:

Pepper. This seems to include all kinds of pepper...i'm gonna miss you cayenne pepper.

Cinnamon. (i'm still having problems with accepting this....)

Mustard seeds.

Safe:

Salt.

Vanilla.

I expect lots of answers!

nwo2012

gummybear said:
So.

Not safe:

Pepper. This seems to include all kinds of pepper...i'm gonna miss you cayenne pepper.

Mustard seeds.

Safe:

Salt.

Turmeric.

Turmeric, also not safe. It has cytotoxic (i.e. acts like chemotherapy) properties.

Vanilla is very safe, I use instead of cinnamon.

OP
G

gummybear

nwo2012 said:
gummybear said:
So.

Not safe:

Mustard seeds.

Safe:

Salt.

Turmeric.

Turmeric, also not safe. It has cytotoxic (i.e. acts like chemotherapy) properties.

Do you use liquid vanilla or vanilla extract (powder)? Vanilla beans are a bit to pricey for me.

kiran

gummybear said:
Not safe:

Mustard seeds.

So where was cayenne pepper mentioned. Black pepper is a completely different animal than cayenne pepper/chili powder.
(Black pepper is fermented)

Cinnamon lowers blood sugar.

Mustard seeds have too much PUFA, I think.

OP
G

gummybear

kiran said:
gummybear said:
Not safe:

Mustard seeds.

So where was cayenne pepper mentioned. Black pepper is a completely different animal than cayenne pepper/chili powder.
(Black pepper is fermented)

Cinnamon lowers blood sugar.

Mustard seeds have too much PUFA, I think.

Oh ok, so cayenne pepper is safe? Cinnamon is safe also?

nwo2012

gummybear said:
nwo2012 said:
gummybear said:
So.

Not safe:

Mustard seeds.

Safe:

Salt.

Turmeric.

Do you use liquid vanilla or vanilla extract (powder)? Vanilla beans are a bit to pricey for me.

Organic vanilla powder.
Cinnamon can be very allergenic.
As can cayenne although a small pinch here and there shouldnt be a problem.

pete

Vanilla is not safe, even if extracted in organic alcohol.

Their spicy characteristic acts as an insect repellent.

kiran

pete said:
Vanilla is not safe, even if extracted in organic alcohol.

Their spicy characteristic acts as an insect repellent.

Ohhh. So this is why i've noticed a negative reaction when I put a drop of vanilla into some milk.

pete

How To Make An Insect Repellent With Vanilla Extract
http://www.ehow.com/how_2257484_make-insect-repellent-vanilla-extract.html

- Vanilla extract
- Shallow container
- Water

1) Get a clean, shallow small container and add 1 tbs. of pure, clear, sugarless vanilla extract.
2) Add 1 tbs of water to the container. Stir the mixture so that the vanilla extract and water mix thoroughly.
3) Dip a cotton ball or another absorbent material into the mixture and wipe it on your skin. Make sure to treat all exposed areas.
4) Apply undiluted drops of vanilla extract to your neck, wrists and other pulse points.
5) Reapply the solution and undiluted vanilla extract drops at the first sign of its effectiveness diminishing.

Using vanilla extract as an insect repellent usually works for approximately 30 to 45 minutes.

Tips & Warnings
- Look for pure vanilla in health food stores if you can't find it in your regular grocery store. Regular grocery stores often stock the kind that doesn't help repel insects.
- High concentrations of vanilla may cause skin irritation.
- Vanilla extract applied to the face or other areas that have thin skin may cause irritation. Try using as much water as you need to guard against skin irritation. Some people may need to use up to 1 c. of water when mixing 1 tbs. of vanilla sugar into a mixture.
- Don't use vanilla extract as an insect repellent if you are allergic to vanilla. Rub a bit of vanilla extract on your skin as a test before applying this insect repellent.

nwo2012

We are not insects. Vinegar also repels insects, so are you suggesting we shouldnt consume it also?
RP is ahppy enough with small amounts of vanilla and that's good enough for me.
Also I never said anything about extract, I said organic vanilla. That is a powder btw of vanilla pods grown by organic farming methods, nothing to do with an alcohol extract.

pete

You are tolerant, that's good, but I wasn't replying to your post.

There are varieties of the same spice that are more tolerable, but companies tend to sell you the one that's cheap or more abundant.

Vinegar is problematic, too, but is obtained by fermentation/distillation.

Ray talks about defense mechanisms in plants and how they affect us.

Any information that I post that doesn't apply to a particular individual is meant for someone else.

nwo2012

pete said:
You are tolerant, that's good, but I wasn't replying to your post.

There are varieties of the same spice that are more tolerable, but companies tend to sell you the one that's cheap or more abundant.

Vinegar is problematic, too, but is obtained by fermentation/distillation.

Ray talks about defense mechanisms in plants and how they affect us.

Any information that I post that doesn't apply to a particular individual is meant for someone else.

:D
Ok join me in the bunker.............. :tinfoilhat

Kris

Why mustard seeds are considered unsafe? I just made a big jar of mustard with plenty of honey. Mustard is supposed to increase metabolism and is full of nutrients.

ARK

I heard Ray say in one of his radio interviews that vanilla is anti-inflammatory. I am not sure which one? But, he did say that. Also, mentions that custard is a healing food. Someone help me with the link for the interview??

Beebop

Hi I did a search and couldn't find any reference to Ray Peat and cinnamon that explained why it is 'bad'.
Could someone enlighten me? Cinnamon is a bark - is it it's barkishness that is a problem, and if so, are all barks undesirable?

Thanks

Beebop

I too would like more information on each individual spice. I would be sad to let them all go! So I'd like to understand what's going on chemically.

In mainstream nutrition Cayenne is thought to raise the metabolism. I had been wondering if this fitted into Peat's thinking in any way.

One in particular I love is ginger. Thoughts on ginger root?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ginger root is a root. So it should be OK, I think.

loess

Important to differentiate between Cassia cinnamon and Ceylon cinnamon ("true" cinnamon). Cassia cinnamon contains couramin, a naturally occuring toxin/allergen with potential to damage the liver in high doses. Ceylon cinnamon, on the other hand, is derived from the inner bark of a small evergreen tree (Cinnamomum verum) native to Sri Lanka. It contains undetectable/trace levels of couramin.

I have found that Ceylon cinnamon gives me no trouble in comparison to Cassia cinnamon, and to me the Ceylon cinnamon has a sweeter and more delicate flavor than Cassia cinnamon. Ceylon cinnamon can be a bit harder to find; you can usually find it at Whole Foods (Frontier brand). I wonder what RP would say about Ceylon cinnamon?

jaa

I consume tumeric, cinnamon, garlic, and onion powders quite regularly. Damn you RPF!

Any word on cumin?