Spiced apple deliciousness

PeatFeat

Just made this randomly the other day:
1. Peel/slice up some apples.
2. Cook in a covered pan over medium-high heat with some butter.
3. Add some cinnamon and a small amount of clove powder while cooking.
4. Cook for about 5 min stirring occasionally..
5. Put into bowl and top with a few spoonfuls of plain yogurt, some honey, and a dash of salt.

Tastes just like apple pie with melted ice-cream on it! You could also use ice-cream instead of yoghurt I suppose...

Birdie

The spices are not Peat recommended though. And no more than a tablespoon of yogurt a day. I think he says it must be Greek ( strained) to reduce the lactic acid.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Wonder if we should make a non Peat recipe section and the non Peat section for instances like this. :?:

Birdie

Charlie said:
Wonder if we should make a non Peat recipe section and the non Peat section for instances like this. :?:
I think the problem is that we all tend to do little toxic things without completely noticing it. So, somebody thinks a recipe is safe and good but then somebody else notices a problem spot.
I don't usually look at recipes, so wouldn't usually notice an error. Why would we want a non-Peat approved recipe section? How would this help anybody?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Agreed. Good point.

I do think this needs to be handled in some way to keep the quality control issue in check.

Birdie

Charlie said:
Agreed. Good point.

I do think this needs to be handled in some way to keep the quality control issue in check.
Maybe a list of safe foods at the beginning of the recipe section. Maybe a list of toxic foods to avoid. Another of foods okay just for flavoring in small amounts.
Then, people could say, "I add a little black pepper here although it's a fermented food.". You would already have fermented foods under toxic foods to avoid.
:2cents

OP
P

PeatFeat

What's not peat-approved in the recipe? I know he warns about cinnamon, but you can use as much as you feel safe with. Does he say anything about cloves? I know he says yoghurt is fine as a condiment, I just used it in place of ice-cream.

Birdie

PeatFeat said:
What's not peat-approved in the recipe? I know he warns about cinnamon, but you can use as much as you feel safe with. Does he say anything about cloves? I know he says yoghurt is fine as a condiment, I just used it in place of ice-cream.

Yes, I also remember that RP says a teaspoon, or is it a tablespoon, of yogurt is fine as a condiment once in a while.

I've been using a cinnamon stick in my applesauce but it is more trouble. It seems safer in that you aren't eating the cinnamon. The same idea as it's being better to cook kale, throw out the leaves and drink the broth. Well, except that cinnamon isn't as nutritious as kale.

Looking them up, I see that cloves are aromatic dried flower buds of a tree... Above ground then. Maybe tiny amounts are okay though? I wouldn't say they are safe though as that implies more than, "maybe okay."

I just gave my opinion based on what I've read and heard of Peat.

I've heard Ray say he stopped using pepper years ago when he found out it was fermented. Some people may want to use it anyway. I use green peppercorns in my broth. They are not fermented. But that's just me and others may not want to use green ones. ;)

Vita3

Why throw out kale leaves?If you are fine with leaves, you can eat them. Ray Peat recommends kale leaves also for protein.

burtlancast

What does Ray say about cinnamon ?

Lin

Yeah, what does Ray say about cinnamon? There was a discussion of it on another thread, and I thought the conclusion was that Ceylon cinnamon is good.

loess

I just made this recipe, substituting coconut oil for butter and cooked the apples for a lot longer (about 15 mins, adding a bit more coconut oil every few minutes). I put them in a bowl and folded in some farmers cheese + salt and it was super tasty. Now I am pretty psyched about this big box of ripe apples that my friend sold me from her orchard!

chris

burtlancast said:
What does Ray say about cinnamon ?

Anyone know Ray's opinions on cinnamon? Not been able to find anything.

Birdie

I don't remember the exact reasoning but I do remember what Ray presented was negative enough to reduce my use of cinnamon. Probably something about anti-nutrients and natural pesticides present. It's been several years since I read his evaluation on it. I still use it but less. I think the sticks are safer since you just use the extraction...