Spaying Cats

LucyL

My 2 meezers are scheduled to get fixed soon. They are over a year old, weigh about 5-6 pounds each, and are cycling pretty regularly. I wonder if anyone has thoughts or recommendations about how to ease the trauma of the hormonal shift (at least one will most likely be in heat at the time of surgery), or the stress of the surgery? I've been giving them a tiny drop of progest-e each day leading up to the surgery, and plan to continue the progest-e regularly afterward. It's hard to find any data about using progesterone in ovariohysterectomized animals, and cats especially, are quite a bit different from humans and dogs in many regards - which is why they are not studied as much.

For the record, I'm not a huge fan of neutering at all, but I am a fan of living peacefully with my pets :D and sometimes it has to be done.

boris

How did it go @LucyL ? My cat runs away from progesterone. She really hates it (or just the fact that I‘m rubbing something sticky on her ears or mouth). I gave her 3-4 drops but didn‘t notice a clear effect. She got aggressive with the male cat an hour later and was cuddly another few hours later...... nothing out of the ordinary :D.

The male cat doesn‘t have a problem with it and even licked it on his own. When I rubbed it onto my male cats ear the female cat bit into his ear.

Last edited:
D

danishispsychic

i had two dogs ( American Eskimos ) and did not spay or neuter them. my female ended up with life threatening fluid build up in her uterus and almost died. she was in the hosptial for weeks and 5k later ... she was fine. if i got new pets, i would spay and neuter , or at least spay the female. it was horrible.

boris

@danishispsychic what do you think about this thread? I think it makes a lot of sense:

Devastating Effects Of Spaying/Neutering Pets
Dr. Karen Becker details the scientific facts that point to consequences of desexing pets. For Peaty Pets, but also, very relevant parallels can be drawn from this regarding the lack of hormones and disease states that arise as a result.

Do you think it's possible what you experienced with your pets could be caused by something else than the spaying/neutering?

yerrag

i had two dogs ( American Eskimos ) and did not spay or neuter them. my female ended up with life threatening fluid build up in her uterus and almost died. she was in the hosptial for weeks and 5k later ... she was fine. if i got new pets, i would spay and neuter , or at least spay the female. it was horrible.
I think the lack of sex causes that problem. Not being facetious. I had a cat die because she was in heat and I kept her locked at home and she was wailing all that time. Then she developed a bloat which I thought was from pregnancy. Hmmm, I thought. She managed to sneak out! It wasn't until she got really sick and I had to learn from the vet that it was inflammation from a infected uterus. She did not survive.

It's better to spay a cat than not to when you don't plan on allowing your pets to have sex.

OP
LucyL

LucyL

How did it go @LucyL ? My cat runs away from progesterone. She really hates it (or just the fact that I‘m rubbing something sticky on her ears or mouth). I gave her 3-4 drops but didn‘t notice a clear effect. She got aggressive with the male cat an hour later and was cuddly another few hours later...... nothing out of the ordinary :D.

The male cat doesn‘t have a problem with it and even licked it on his own. When I rubbed it onto my male cats ear the female cat bit into his ear.
Lol, that was so long ago I forgot I even did that! But, both cats are alive and doing pretty well :): My current dog really like progesterone, and always likes to lick my fingers after I've applied some progest-e.

OP
LucyL

LucyL

I think the lack of sex causes that problem. Not being facetious. I had a cat die because she was in heat and I kept her locked at home and she was wailing all that time. Then she developed a bloat which I thought was from pregnancy. Hmmm, I thought. She managed to sneak out! It wasn't until she got really sick and I had to learn from the vet that it was inflammation from a infected uterus. She did not survive.

It's better to spay a cat than not to when you don't plan on allowing your pets to have sex.
For cats, the lack of pregnancy can cause a pyometra. I had a cat with it once, treated her seemingly successfully, but when she got pregnant, the pregnancy reabsorbed. We spayed her after that.

Connor888

For cats, the lack of pregnancy can cause a pyometra. I had a cat with it once, treated her seemingly successfully, but when she got pregnant, the pregnancy reabsorbed. We spayed her after that.

so can giving a female cat progesterone make up for being spayed? how would you dose it?

yerrag

Yes, it's the pregnancy.

Seems they're made to procreate or die.

OP
LucyL

LucyL

so can giving a female cat progesterone make up for being spayed? how would you dose it?
First, I don't know. Second, there is a lot of talk about spaying/castrating dogs and cats, pros and cons, but it is a fact that many pets live long, healthy lives after being neutered, with zero interventions. I say this because it is important to keep the big picture in mind, it helps to inform the details. You will find most websites blame progesterone for pyometras in cats, and they do this (I think) because an RU486 analog can treat and prevent pyos. And RU486 is seen in the medical world as a anti-progesterone substance. See Ray's article RU486, cancer, estrogen and progesterone for that discussion. In Ray Peat world of course, progesterone is a positive substance with almost no side effects except for drowsiness. So the context i'm trying to get across in my long windedness is that you can experiment with doses without much concern of problems, or you can do nothing and probably be ok too. I would be (am) tempted to use IdeaLabs CortiNon, I think a little DHEA might be beneficial, maybe something like 2 or 3 milligrams of DHEA rubbed on the gums. Haidut's studies (My first scientific study: Anti-cancer effects of CortiNon+ – To Extract Knowledge from Matter) are very interesting.

Connor888

First, I don't know. Second, there is a lot of talk about spaying/castrating dogs and cats, pros and cons, but it is a fact that many pets live long, healthy lives after being neutered, with zero interventions. I say this because it is important to keep the big picture in mind, it helps to inform the details. You will find most websites blame progesterone for pyometras in cats, and they do this (I think) because an RU486 analog can treat and prevent pyos. And RU486 is seen in the medical world as a anti-progesterone substance. See Ray's article RU486, cancer, estrogen and progesterone for that discussion. In Ray Peat world of course, progesterone is a positive substance with almost no side effects except for drowsiness. So the context i'm trying to get across in my long windedness is that you can experiment with doses without much concern of problems, or you can do nothing and probably be ok too. I would be (am) tempted to use IdeaLabs CortiNon, I think a little DHEA might be beneficial, maybe something like 2 or 3 milligrams of DHEA rubbed on the gums. Haidut's studies (My first scientific study: Anti-cancer effects of CortiNon+ – To Extract Knowledge from Matter) are very interesting.

thank you very much for the info. yeah, i am thinking about starting her off on 3mg a day and ill see how she goes. im using this
Molecular Progesterone Complex

OP
LucyL

LucyL

thank you very much for the info. yeah, i am thinking about starting her off on 3mg a day and ill see how she goes. im using this
Molecular Progesterone Complex
FWIW, I rubbed one drop of CortiNon+ on my cat's gums the other day, and she proceeded to drool like a rabid bat for the next 10 -15 minutes. Next time I will just rub it on the ears.

Connor888

FWIW, I rubbed one drop of CortiNon+ on my cat's gums the other day, and she proceeded to drool like a rabid bat for the next 10 -15 minutes. Next time I will just rub it on the ears.

Lol
will do ears next time myself , this is one stubborn cat and its close to impossible to get it in the mouth or on gums