sparkling Juice?

new2peat

I have a few questions about juice-

What about sparkling juice? Is that a good choice?

Also, what about other fruits, like pear, cranberry, ligonberry, or Apple?

OP
N

new2peat

organic apple juice from concentrate (90% of apple juice), water, carbon
dioxide, natural apple flavor, citric acid.

Ben

I would say it's alright. If this were available, I would drink it sometimes considering I like carbonated drinks. Don't make it a major component of your diet though, since RP recommended against synthetic citric acid.

BingDing

The sparkle is carbonated water, ie CO2, which is good. There is a thread on safe fruits, most of them aren't available in temperate climes. Pear is said to be OK peeled and cooked. I've been using Ceres guava/pear juice and loving it, but I'm not overly sensitive to most foods. Ceres has other juices that might be on the list but you have to read the label to see what else is in it.

Jenn is a fan of making your own sparkling juice, which I agree with. But buying soda water is not economical. Sodastream Crystal has a glass carafe, and the old style glass soda siphons are available again. That's what I am going to get; I bought a five pound tank of CO2 last year but the stainless carboys you use them with won't fit in my fridge. Grrr.

Hope this helps.

Ben

It looks like they have a lot of varieties of CO2. So which do you choose? And can ordering be done like from amazon or other shopping sites, or do you have to provide a reason for purchase or something?

BingDing

I think most towns have a similar store, if not Airgas. I just went in and told them I wanted to make my own soda water and he know all about it. They sell to restaurants, etc for their soda machines. I guess I got the industrial gas but it's what everyone uses. Don't know if those tanks can be shipped, I suspect it would be a problem.

I've been using mine instead of bag breathing and it works pretty well. I will try and get the medical grade when I refill it just 'cause, but I don't think there's anything to worry about with the industrial.

Ben

I bet medical grade will be a lot more expensive though. I'll look forward to carbonating my orange juice once I find out where to obtain all the materials. Thanks!

Poppyseed13

OJ with carbonated water is my favorite drink evey day---in fact, I rarely drink OJ without it. My drink is half and half plus some salt and potassium (No Salt). It is very refreshing.

I bought a Mr. Fizz soda siphon, and a case of CO2 cartridges (300) from Amazon. Really great system---never flat like the bottles I originally used.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

mvlittle

What if you carbonated with baking soda? I listened to RP's video and he mentioned a woman who gave her mom baking soda in water and then he said that essentially it was the same thing. I tried it last night with plain water. It tasted very similar to Pelegrino water. I also want to check on the purity of the Arm and Hammer baking soda.

Ben

mvlittle said:
What if you carbonated with baking soda? I listened to RP's video and he mentioned a woman who gave her mom baking soda in water and then he said that essentially it was the same thing. I tried it last night with plain water. It tasted very similar to Pelegrino water. I also want to check on the purity of the Arm and Hammer baking soda.
I put 1.5 tsp baking soda per a 2 quart carton of OJ. My primary reason for doing it is reducing the acid content, so it doesn't harm my already-sensitive teeth. In my opinion it tastes better, and the slight carbonation is probably responsible. Baking soda makes the blood more alkaline and helps it to retain CO2, as well as providing sodium. OJ has little sodium, and if it's drank in excess it can deplete it, but if you add baking soda it prevents depletion, and is in balance with the potassium in the OJ.