Soy Lecithin

J

j.

Effects of a commercial soy lecithin preparation on development of sensorimotor behavior and brain biochemistry in the rat

Pregnant rat dams and offspring were exposed to a 5 or 2% soy lecithin preparation or a control diet. Enrichment was either lifelong beginning at gestation, limited to the time preceding, or the time following weaning, or absent (constituting a “pure” control group). The most marked early sensorimotor deficits (reflex righting and swimming development) were seen in the 5% soy lecithin preparation group, although all soy lecithin preparation-exposed offspring had elevated brain/body weight ratios and choline acetyltransferase levels. Later, animals exposed to lifelong 5 or 2% soy lecithin preparations were hypoactive, had poor postural reflexes, and showed attenuated morphine analgesia. The results indicate that dietary soy lecithin preparation enrichment during development leads to behavioral and neurochemical abnormalities in the exposed offspring.

Link

4peatssake

j. said:
Effects of a commercial soy lecithin preparation on development of sensorimotor behavior and brain biochemistry in the rat

Pregnant rat dams and offspring were exposed to a 5 or 2% soy lecithin preparation or a control diet. Enrichment was either lifelong beginning at gestation, limited to the time preceding, or the time following weaning, or absent (constituting a “pure” control group). The most marked early sensorimotor deficits (reflex righting and swimming development) were seen in the 5% soy lecithin preparation group, although all soy lecithin preparation-exposed offspring had elevated brain/body weight ratios and choline acetyltransferase levels. Later, animals exposed to lifelong 5 or 2% soy lecithin preparations were hypoactive, had poor postural reflexes, and showed attenuated morphine analgesia. The results indicate that dietary soy lecithin preparation enrichment during development leads to behavioral and neurochemical abnormalities in the exposed offspring.

Link

:eek I wonder too about the effects of using this crap topically. I've used it as an emulsifier for skin lotions. Funny thing is I never felt good about it, couldn't tell you why, just a very bad feeling and so I began making my skin lotion using only coconut and Vit E oils.

RP recommended sulfur soap for itch so other than that, coconut oil, Vit E oil, baking soda and epsom salt, I'm not putting anything else on my skin!

I certainly won't be ingesting any soy lecithin either!

Thanks j.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:banghead

4peatssake

Charlie said:

:rolling Oh geez Charlie, you make me laugh!

I know it's not really funny - but laughing sometimes makes everything much more bearable!

I am still stunned to learn that all that I focused on healing for the last 20 years was nothing even close to the actual cause. What I thought were core issues and actual causes were merely symptoms!

Talk about banging one's head against the wall! :lol:

juanitacarlos

4peatssake said:
Charlie said:

:rolling Oh geez Charlie, you make me laugh!

I know it's not really funny - but laughing sometimes makes everything much more bearable!

I am still stunned to learn that all that I focused on healing for the last 20 years was nothing even close to the actual cause. What I thought were core issues and actual causes were merely symptoms!

Talk about banging one's head against the wall! :lol:

I'm the same. And I pretty much have done the complete opposite of what is required. If I needed sat fats, I ate poly. I needed more sugar, I ate less!b :crazy:

Beebop

4peatssake said:
Oh geez Charlie, you make me laugh!

Yeah me too :D in a good way! Headbanger ftw

Two soya-lecithin-free choc brands if anyone's interested (UK brands):
Montezuma, Vivani.

4peatssake

ttramone said:
*sigh* There's soy lecithin in the cheapo chocolate I've been eating. Gone! thanks j...

Yeah, mine too. I ditched it about a week ago cuz I knew it was making me feel really baaaaaaaaaaaaaad. :cry:

Sticking to the HD for sweet treats but I'm off that too for the most part. At least I know that's good and for a chocolate fix I can make my own syrup. I've never acquired a taste for dark chocolate - much prefer it milky and sweet.

OP
J

j.

ttramone said:
*sigh* There's soy lecithin in the cheapo chocolate I've been eating. Gone! thanks j...

I'm not sure I would worry. Isn't the amount tiny? In this experiment I got the impression that it was 5% of the rats diet.

OP
J

j.

ttramone said:

The very expensive chocolate tends to have it as well. If you really want to avoid it, the best strategy might be chocolate powder in hot milk.

Beebop

j. said:
ttramone said:

I'm not sure I would worry. Isn't the amount tiny? In this experiment I got the impression that it was 5% of the rats diet.

Depends on how much chocolate you want to eat! :lol:

4peatssake

Beebop said:
j. said:
ttramone said:

Depends on how much chocolate you want to eat! :lol:

:lol: yeah. I'm pretty sure I reacted to it quite badly when I started eating some cheapo milk chocolate for a short while, maybe a week. Felt so much better when I stopped and I do think it was that soy lecithin crapola.

I use cliff's chocolate syrup to make my own and if I go easy with it I am ok. I do think chocolate is iffy for me - at least for now, so I've backed right off.

juanitacarlos

j. said:
ttramone said:

I just have a fair bit of it at the moment. I won like 3kgs in a comp recently, so I've been munching on it nearly every day!

Looks like I will have to palm off some more of my toxic foods to my friends and workmates.... :twisted:

4peatssake

ttramone said:
Looks like I will have to palm off some more of my toxic foods to my friends and workmates.... :twisted:

Laughing-2.gif

Dan W

Beebop said:
Two soya-lecithin-free choc brands if anyone's interested (UK brands):
Montezuma, Vivani.

For the US, the 85% or higher dark chocolate Lindt bars are free of soy lecithin, and are easy to find. I'm eating one right now :)

OP
J

j.

Dan Wich said:
For the US, the 85% or higher dark chocolate Lindt bars are free of soy lecithin, and are easy to find. I'm eating one right now :)

Hmmm. Maybe my memory is failing me but I thought I thought a 85% Lindt with soy lechitin.

juanitacarlos

j. said:
Dan Wich said:

Hmmm. Maybe my memory is failing me but I thought I thought a 85% Lindt with soy lechitin.

I checked the packet for a block I had and it does not contain soy lecithin.

pboy

Yea I'll have to be careful with chocolate selection now, I always thought there was something not quite right about lecithin. I'd taken it in isolation before and with some foods containing it you can detect the mouthfeel of it, it basically never emulsifies no matter how long you chew it...its greasier than grease, almost like melted fiber or something. I'm sure your body absorbs it but probably has a hard time and doesn't appreciate your consuming it

4peatssake

Well, this article nails the coffin on it for me. Bold parts are by me.

What Are the Dangers of Soy Lecithin Ingestion?
By Gord Kerr
http://www.livestrong.com/article/524606-what-are-the-dangers-of-soy-lecithin-ingestion/

Soy lecithin is a common ingredient in hundreds of processed foods, including cereals, pasta, breads, soy milk and many meats. Lecithin is also available as a health supplement; proponents claim that it can benefit the heart, brain, liver and athletic performance. However, there are potential dangers of soy lecithin that could outweigh the possible benefits.

Origin
To solve the problem of disposing of the gummy waste residual generated from the soy oil refining process, German companies patented a process of vacuum drying the sludge to make soybean lecithin. Although lecithin originally had many uses, today soy lecithin is used as an emulsifier in foods and infant formulas and also as a health supplement.

Genetic Modification
In 2007, the GMO Compass reported that soy lecithin, like many food products in American supermarkets, contained genetically modified soy. Genetically modified, or GM, foods are biotechnically changed to increase yields and resistance to herbicides and insects. Some health-food advocates and scientists have concerns with the potential long-term impact from eating genetically modified food. For example, a study published in the "Journal of Applied Toxicology" discovered that mice fed GM soybean developed a decrease in pancreatic function. Although the nutrition of the soy was not altered, the study showed that as few as five days of feeding GM food caused pancreatic cellular changes, which were reversed after 30 days of non-GM foods.

Cancer
A compound of soy lecithin, phytoestrogen, can produce effects on the body similar to the hormone estrogen. Soy phytoestrogens may promote an increased risk of breast cancer in adult women by altering or decreasing natural estrogen, although the direct link to cancer is inconclusive. One study reported by Cornell University examined 28 women receiving soy supplements for six months. The women were found to have an increased growth of milk ducts in their breasts, which is a leading forerunner of cancer, according to the Program on Breast Cancer and Environmental Risk Factors in New York State. Conclusions suggest that premenopausal women may be at greatest risk, but further research is needed.

Reproduction
Soy and soy lecithin contain a compound called fenistein that may have a negative effect on fertility and reproduction. According to a study at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, rats that were fed soybeans containing genistein produced offspring with abnormal reproductive organs, including smaller testes, larger prostate glands and lower testosterone levels. Conclusions suggested that exposure to soy during reproductive development could have long-term detrimental effects in males, ultimately leading to reproductive abnormalities and sexual dysfunction.

Brain Development
Soy lecithin may affect immature brain cells leading to impeded brain development. "Developmental Psychobiology" published the results of a study on brain function in rats fed soy lecithin. Groups were divided into pregnant rats, rats in fetal development and weaned offspring. In the earliest stages, deficits in sensory motor skills, including righting and swimming abilities, were observed in the soy lecithin group. Long-term consumption of soy lecithin produced rats that were inactive physically and mentally with poor reflexes. The study concluded that soy lecithin supplementation in early stages of life may lead to behavioral and cerebral abnormalities.

Dosage
Because lecithin and other dietary supplements do not need FDA approval, there is no defined recommended daily amount. In addition, different brands of supplements may vary in content, purity and strength, which makes safe and effective dosing inconsistent. Talk to your doctor about the amount of lecithin required for your condition. If you are concerned about the amount of lecithin from food you are ingesting, read labels carefully. Lecithin must be listed on labels containing soy in accordance with The Federal Food and Drug Act. However, many processed foods, including fast foods, baked goods and delicatessen and meat products, are not labeled.

4peatssake

Further evidence of soy lecithin being estrogenic.

Estrogens in the daily diet: in vitro analysis indicates that estrogenic activity is omnipresent in foodstuff and infant formula.

Behr M, Oehlmann J, Wagner M.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21801783

Abstract

Food is a main source of exposure to endocrine active compounds, many of which have been linked to adverse health effects. Phytoestrogens, especially from soy, are the major dietary source of estrogenicity. However, foodstuff contains a variety of estrogen-like compounds that might not be detected analytically. To assess the total estrogenic activity of foodstuff, we employed the Yeast Estrogen Screen (YES). We analyzed 18 food samples and five milk-based infant formulas. Soy-based products contained potent estrogenicity of 100-1500ng estradiol equivalents per kilogram (EEQ/kg). The estrogenicity in soy-free products was far lower (10-40ng EEQ/kg). We also detected significant estrogenic activity in three infant formulas (14-22ng EEQ/kg). Furthermore, we found soy lecithin to be strongly estrogenic. It might, therefore, be a major contributor to total estrogenicity. We conclude that dietary estrogens are omnipresent and not limited to soy-based food. In an exposure assessment we calculated a total dietary intake of 27.5 and 34.0ng EEQ/d for adults and 1.46ng EEQ/d for infants. While the dietary exposure to estrogenic activity is lower than previously estimated, our results demonstrate that many food types are a source of unidentified estrogen-like compounds still awaiting toxicological evaluation.

Copyright © 2011 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.