Source Of Ingredients

pete

I will post here some of the responses from companies selling supplements/food.

Several promote the right of consumers to know what's in the products they consume, but sadly it's just marketing.

OP
pete

pete

Stonyfield Farm

Know Your Food
IWillKnowMyFood.com
- Be a... Food SuperHero - Know Your Food
- When You Know Your Food You Protect Your Health...And The Whole Planet
- One Act Can Make You A Food Superhero

Reality:

Thanks so much for your question. We're sorry to tell you that we can't
share the information you're looking for. We work closely with our
suppliers to ensure that they are providing us with ingredients that meet
our values. However, unless there is a specific allergy question, we're not
able to share the exact components of many of our ingredients because they
are proprietary to our suppliers.

We hope you understand. Thanks again for reaching out.
Sincerely,
The folks at Stonyfield

OP
pete

pete

Nature's Way

Thank you for contacting Nature's Way a Schwabe North America Company. It is good to know you are interested in living a healthy lifestyle and want to use one of our products. I am happy to respond to your question regarding the Cascara Sagrada Aged Bark product. You would like to know where we source our Cascara Sagrada.

I apologize but we are unable to provide this information. We regard sourcing information as proprietary. Most of Nature's Way products are manufactured in the United States. We use raw materials from all over the world and require our suppliers to use the same quality standards as Nature's Way. Please see the attachment for more information on our quality standards.

Best Wishes for Good Health,

Customer Service
Schwabe North America

crX

This is very interesting. It's not only the ingredients that are important but also how and where they are produced. I remember reading recently (can't remember the source now, unfortunately) about the concern of "nanoparticles" of ingredients created by some processes that are showing up in vitamins, supplements, and lotions--with unknown and potentially dangerous repercussions for the human body. For me, just another reason not to supplement unless absolutely necessary....

nwo2012

Yes exactly. When you see the likes silicon dioxide listed, this is not just sand. It is most often nano-particles, a danger to us. Never buy supplements that do not list all other ingredients.

OP
pete

pete

Nanoparticles In Dietary Supplements Cause Health Concerns
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090209075633.htm

ScienceDaily (Feb. 10, 2009) — An increase in the number of dietary supplements made with nanoparticles — so called "nanoceuticals" — is raising growing concerns about their potential for toxicity in the wake of little government oversight, according to an article scheduled for the Feb. 9 online issue of Chemical & Engineering News.

In the article, C&EN Associate Editor Britt Erickson notes that manufacturers of dietary supplements are increasingly using nano-sized particles (about 1/5000th the width of a single human hair) to boost nutrient absorption, enhance mental focus and creativity, and other health-promoting functions. One nonprofit organization that tracks nanotechnology estimates at least 44 "nanoceuticals" are currently on the market, quadruple the number that existed three years ago.

But consumers have no way of knowing whether a "nanoceutical" is safe or whether it does what it claims to do, the article notes. Unlike drugs, dietary supplements do not need to be reviewed by the Food and Drug Administration for safety and effectiveness before marketing. This lack of government oversight, coupled with growing concerns about the potential toxicity of nanoparticles, has led consumer groups to urge regulators to do more to ensure that nanoceuticals are safe and effective.

nwo2012

:lol:
pete said:
Nanoparticles In Dietary Supplements Cause Health Concerns
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/02/090209075633.htm

ScienceDaily (Feb. 10, 2009) — An increase in the number of dietary supplements made with nanoparticles — so called "nanoceuticals" — is raising growing concerns about their potential for toxicity in the wake of little government oversight, according to an article scheduled for the Feb. 9 online issue of Chemical & Engineering News.

In the article, C&EN Associate Editor Britt Erickson notes that manufacturers of dietary supplements are increasingly using nano-sized particles (about 1/5000th the width of a single human hair) to boost nutrient absorption, enhance mental focus and creativity, and other health-promoting functions. One nonprofit organization that tracks nanotechnology estimates at least 44 "nanoceuticals" are currently on the market, quadruple the number that existed three years ago.

But consumers have no way of knowing whether a "nanoceutical" is safe or whether it does what it claims to do, the article notes. Unlike drugs, dietary supplements do not need to be reviewed by the Food and Drug Administration for safety and effectiveness before marketing. This lack of government oversight, coupled with growing concerns about the potential toxicity of nanoparticles, has led consumer groups to urge regulators to do more to ensure that nanoceuticals are safe and effective.

It's funny though. As if the FDA approves only safe pharmaceuticals. :lol:
But, that comment aside, completely true. The same goes for cosmetics. The number of household items, including Johnson and Johnson 'No More Tears' baby shampoo, that contain significant amounts of 1,4-dioxane (a carcinogen)is nothing short of frightening.

crX

I've also been aware of this issue as it regards the titanium dioxide and zinc oxide in sunscreens. While generally considered safe, as nanoparticles they can enter the human tissues that larger particles can't, and the effects are unknown. I believe that the Environmental Working Group (EWG) addresses this, and I believe I have seen some disclaimers on health food store sunscreens that state that they do not use nanoparticles, or at least state the size of the particles that they use.

After reading Peat I realized that while I was worried about these particles being rubbed into my skin, I was swallowing these particles internally with the supplements I was taking! When I looked at what I was taking, nearly everything contained silica or silicon dioxide, magnesium stearate, sometimes titanium dioxide, and other mystery ingredients. I just generally feel like we've all gotten a snow job on how these products like lotions and supplements work and are so beneficial to our health, when they're really just a corruption of some research on one or two key ingredients which are of dubious quality in their product, and a bunch of other potentially harmful stuff. I just hope I haven't done too much harm to myself.

As pointed out in this thread, it seems that companies are determined to keep the source of their ingredients secret and proprietary, so you'd never even be able to track down the source or discover how things are produced. It's just like Peat pointed out of the medical community, once you become the "market" then profit making is the goal over all else. I'd like to see more consumers get educated on the topic and demand better.