Sort Out Your Life, Not Your Diet

Cirion

That's who I was before. I have taken the first step by stopping the faking and power through and I'm now in the difficult phase of figuring out how to have more energy to be able to do what I want to do deep down.

In the past, I would have set my mind on some project, have initial motivation from the novelty and eventually crash. I never got anything significant done because of this vicious cycle.

I've been focusing on diet because it's difficult to make significant lifestyle changes in the dead of winter, but I will start tweaking my lifestyle as the light increases. More time outside, more outings with my family...

Once you realize it is all about cellular energy it starts to come together.

- Carbs, carbs, carbs... and did I say carbs? Minimize fats (avoid randle cycle interfering with carbs giving you energy), don't over-do proteins. Carbs are the most efficient fuel source for the body period. Fats ARE NOT EFFICIENT FUEL SOURCES. I'm repeating this mostly for my own benefit because I've misled myself thinking (saturated) fats can provide useful energy. Saturated fats aren't too bad, but they still interfere with carb metabolism, and on top of that, they displace calories in your caloric budget that carbs could have been used for instead.
- CO2
- Caffeine (if you can tolerate it)
- Exercise (if you can tolerate it)
- Sunlight
- Taking T 3 (as needed)
- Sleep hygiene (not just enough sleep but also a good sleep routine, keeping it even on weekends, not easy to do! lol). Best to sleep in the pattern of the sun (sleep at sundown, rise at sun-up. This means more sleep in winter and less in summer)
- Foods that energize and not take away energy
- Avoiding anything that takes away energy (toxic people, EMF's...) While you can't control how your thoughts tend to gravitate on a permanent basis you can at least control what outside factors influence you by avoiding them.
... etc...

It's getting to be spring here and I also am taking advantage of the sun. The sun is a huge signal to increase cellular energy that's for sure. Very under-appreciated aspect of gaining energy.

Avoiding the fats is a factor I've only recently come to appreciate as well. Fats would make me feel good so I thought I needed them. I couldn't have been more wrong. To clarify they would give me kind of a temporary boost only to make me feel bad in the long run. Like taking meds in a way.

Last edited:

Gadsie

Once you realize it is all about cellular energy it starts to come together.

- Carbs, carbs, carbs... and did I say carbs? Minimize fats (avoid randle cycle interfering with carbs giving you energy), don't over-do proteins. Carbs are the most efficient fuel source for the body period. Fats ARE NOT EFFICIENT FUEL SOURCES. I'm repeating this mostly for my own benefit because I've misled myself thinking (saturated) fats can provide useful energy. Saturated fats aren't too bad, but they still interfere with carb metabolism, and on top of that, they displace calories in your caloric budget that carbs could have been used for instead.
- CO2
- Caffeine (if you can tolerate it)
- Exercise (if you can tolerate it)
- Sunlight
- Taking T 3 (as needed)
- Sleep hygiene (not just enough sleep but also a good sleep routine, keeping it even on weekends, not easy to do! lol). Best to sleep in the pattern of the sun (sleep at sundown, rise at sun-up. This means more sleep in winter and less in summer)
- Foods that energize and not take away energy
- Avoiding anything that takes away energy (toxic people, EMF's...) While you can't control how your thoughts tend to gravitate on a permanent basis you can at least control what outside factors influence you by avoiding them.
... etc...

It's getting to be spring here and I also am taking advantage of the sun. The sun is a huge signal to increase cellular energy that's for sure. Very under-appreciated aspect of gaining energy.

Avoiding the fats is a factor I've only recently come to appreciate as well. Fats would make me feel good so I thought I needed them. I couldn't have been more wrong. To clarify they would give me kind of a temporary boost only to make me feel bad in the long run. Like taking meds in a way.
I agree. Avoiding fats is extremely difficult in a social context in my experience though. PUFA is mostly avoidable, but having to avoid even things like cheese and cream is hard. Visiting my girlfriend’s parents comes to mind lol, you can’t really refuse food.

I feel amazing when eating a lot of calories, but minimizing total fat to like 10 grams or less a day.

Waynish

So many people who hate their lives look to dieting! Yes, diet is a short term way to have some control over your physiological state, which affects your perception of how good your life is... Going back to a certain diet when your life starts sucking (I hear from a few low carb/paleo/all-meat people who are like this) is like going back to your ex-gf, a stuffed animal, or a drug when you're feeling down!

lexis

What supplement can make a person humble?

This should answer a lot of issues related to mental health.