Something To Keep In Mind About Peat And His Diet

Gone Peating

Peat takes synthetic thyroid hormone.

So if you're struggling to completely eliminate starches or drink as much liquid from oj and milk as Ray Peat does remember that he is "cheating" so to speak.

Thinking that there's something wrong with you bc of things like this is like people who only can work out 3 times a week thinking they are inferior bc body builders go at it every day, not realizing that body builders are also using some type of steroid or androgen supplementation.

boris

Peat takes thyroid because he is an old man. According to him everyone needs thyroid at a certain age because in the past we got natural thyroid mixed in with ground beef etc.. That source doesn't exist nowadays, that's why stuff like iodine gets added to salt instead. Obviously it doesn't have the same effect.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

boris

Ok, not widespread ;) or at least hard to get. I think in the past it was in basically all ground beef.

lampofred

Peat takes thyroid because he is an old man. According to him everyone needs thyroid at a certain age because in the past we got natural thyroid mixed in with ground beef etc.. That source doesn't exist nowadays, that's why stuff like iodine gets added to salt instead. Obviously it doesn't have the same effect.

Beef used to have thyroid? I thought it was just in fish head, chicken neck, etc. How does muscle meat have thyroid? Do cows store thyroxin there or something?

boris

@lampofred it had small amounts of the thyroid gland from the cow (cow neck, if you will).

By ground beef I mean mince.

meatbag

So if you're struggling to completely eliminate starches or drink as much liquid from oj and milk as Ray Peat does remember that he is "cheating" so to speak.

Thinking that there's something wrong with you bc of things like this is like people who only can work out 3 times a week thinking they are inferior bc body builders go at it every day, not realizing that body builders are also using some type of steroid or androgen supplementation.

I think he's said he only takes it in the winter nowadays. I don't see how t3 would change starch vs fruit juice digestion? I think most of the oj problems are from unripe oranges, at least that's been my experience. Most fruit in the US is very high in starch or soluble fiber or is unripe and has to be cooked (apple sauce, etc.). Potatoes are the best option but a lot of hypothyroid people have digestive issues.

Cheese has a lot of fat or additives, milk just has the best Ca:P ratio and doesn't have to be prepared. If you balanced beef with cooked vegetables (Ca:P) it's a lot more work. Just throwing out the reasoning. Casein protein, cottage cheese (if you can find any with out all the ***t), and some yogurts are good ways to get protein too without lugging around liquids.

I think the oj,milk thing is reasonable from economic/time investment perspective

Good point.

boris

I never heard or read Ray talk about fish head or chicken neck for thyroid. Why is that? Apparently it is very gelatinous too. Fat skimmed, is there anything about it that could be questionable?

https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/consuming-the-whole-fish-and-fish-head.4340/
Fish Head Broth
I use three snapper fish heads and simmer on stovetop. Exactly the same way you might prepare chicken or beef bone broth. The difference is that fish heads only need to cook between two and three hours and you get an incredibly gelatin rich broth. Avoid high fat fish like salmon, as the broth just doesn't taste right in my opinion. With snapper it's a very delicate fish taste.

"Broth and soup made with fishheads are rich in iodine, thyroid-strengthening substances, and fat-soluble vitamins. Although a fish does not have an actual thyroid gland, but rather diffuse thyroid follicles with many located in the head (notably around the eye area and the pharynx), the good news is that these follicles are very similar to mammalian thyroid tissue.” - Sarah Pope

ebs

Yeah I find it quite ironic how he and others here say tsh should be below 1, but then they take syntetics in order to accomplish that.

Basically a tsh below 1 is not natural as it is most often a result of hyperthyrodism.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals