Someone Use A Milk Cream Separator?

Hgreen56

Hello
I've wanted to try raw milk for a long time but the high fat content has always stood in my way.
Now i discovered by chance that there is a milk cream separator exists. i never heard of that.
This strains the fat from the milk? and how much? all of it so you get 0% skim milk?
Someone experience with this?

Last edited:

Jennifer

With raw cow’s milk, it naturally separates so you don’t need a cream separator—I use a turkey baster to remove the cream—but with raw goat’s milk, because it’s naturally homogenized, a separator is pretty much needed if you want to consume it within 24 hours. I bought the cream separator below before discovering that raw goat’s milk will separate if left to sit in my fridge for 5–7 days:

https://www.amazon.com/Minneer-Elec...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

OP
Hgreen56

Hgreen56

With raw cow’s milk, it naturally separates so you don’t need a cream separator—I use a turkey baster to remove the cream—but with raw goat’s milk, because it’s naturally homogenized, a separator is pretty much needed if you want to consume it within 24 hours. I bought the cream separator below before discovering that raw goat’s milk will separate if left to sit in my fridge for 5–7 days:

https://www.amazon.com/Minneer-Elec...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

interesting.
so can you tell me how your process looks like?
For example: this lady filter the milk through a cloth and let it then cool down for 24 hours in the refrigerator, do you also this?
I saw also this video, she don't scoop the fat out of the jar but has a tap at the bottom.
Saves a lot of work i think.

Jennifer

interesting.
so can you tell me how your process looks like?
For example: this lady filter the milk through a cloth and let it then cool down for 24 hours in the refrigerator, do you also this?
I saw also this video, she don't scoop the fat out of the jar but has a tap at the bottom.
Saves a lot of work i think.
Raw milk is legal to sell in my State, even in retail stores, so I get my milk from both a local farm and the store, and they always come bottled in jars and are pre-filtered by the farmers. When I get home, I put it directly in the fridge like you would any store-bought milk. The cow’s milk comes in 2 liter jars and I let it separate for a couple hours and then skim off the fat with a baster, but a jar with a tap is probably easier. The goat’s milk comes in 1 liter jars and before putting it in the fridge, I stick a straw in it and after 5–7 days, the cream has risen to the top and I just drink from the bottom until I hit cream, similar to a jar with a tap. :)

Jennifer

You’re welcome! I hope raw milk works out well for you. :)

Rafe

Just started a month ago getting fresh raw Jersey milk from a small farm. I like it so much better than pasteurized & homogenized.

I’ve been pouring off the cream into mason jars & putting that in coffee. But it’s still too much fat since I don’t get all of it off. And it wastes some of the milk.

I looked into the spigot jar & they have those at Walm Art. But I like the idea of just using a turkey baster.

Thank you for that!

Jennifer

My pleasure, @Rafe. :) I’m glad you have access to raw milk. It really is so much better than pasteurized and homogenized, for sure. Bonus is supporting small farms.

Rafe

Greetings @Jennifer
Question: My milk is in the standard glass half gallon jar. I’ve gotten the hang of using a turkey baster after a few tries.

If I’m getting the fat down from about a 3-inch layer to around a 1/4 inch layer on top eyeballing it, then can you guesstimate what fat% milk I have?

I just have no experience with that. It’s some kind of Jersey hybrid breed.
:rockout

Jennifer

@Rafe, I’m not sure how good my math skills are, but I’ll take a stab at it.

I used to get pasteurized milk from a farm that breeds Jerseys and their whole milk has 10 grams of fat per cup:

Amazon product ASIN B07D7BYQ61View: https://www.amazon.com/HIGH-LAWN-Whole-Milk-64/dp/B07D7BYQ61/ref=sr_1_2_0o_wf?dchild=1&keywords=High+lawn+farms+whole+milk&qid=1634233319&sr=8-2

This site says that Jersey milk has 8 grams of fat per cup:

There are twelve 1/4 inches in 3 inches and there are 8 cups in a half a gallon so using both figures above:

8 g of fat x 8 cups = 64 grams of fat per half gallon and 64 ÷ 12 = 5.33 g of fat per half gallon or .44 grams of fat per cup

10 g of fat x 8 cups = 80 grams of fat per half gallon and 80 ÷ 12 = 6.67 g of fat per half gallon or .83 grams of fat per cup

So with a 1/4” of cream, there is under a gram of fat per cup. How’d I do?

Rafe

When you eat a lot of sugar & your focus gets so good you do all the math. You’re beautiful!

I was just expecting, “Erm, I no know, 4%??”

It looks good to me. But just between you & me I had to read it 3 times. :0

Jennifer

Haha! Thank you very much. I accept your offer. I should warn you, though. I have the appetite of a sumo wrestler. :happy: