Someone please help me with my dry mouth. I always have it and it gives me really bad breath. I've tried everything!

redpanda

I think you might be right. What are some safe ways to raise cortisol?

Ashwagandha and Rhodiola modulate cortisol. I like 2 caps of ashwagandha before bed, it reduces dry mouth during the night and helps me sleep. Some of the B vitamins (B5/12).

Peachy

How would you do with juices or tea/honey, in place of some of your water intake? Electrolyte balance stands out to me. I’m also curious about your calorie intake and rough macro breakdown.

PeskyPeater

Of course, liquorice! Can’t believe that one slipped through my mind. Do you think it would be better as a capsule or as a tea?
licorice is not rehmannia though. licorice works by the mineralcorticoid system. but rehmannia works at the brain feedback system on cortisol I believe. licorice may be anti-androgenic at higher dosages and mimics the renin-aldosterone system resulting in sodium and water retention, hypokalemia and hypertension

OP
J
Update: I've been taking Thorne Basic B complex on and off for 2 months now and it's helping my dry mouth and white tongue a lot! The only problem is that it comes back a day or 2 after I stop taking it. I don't know why and I don't know if I should continue taking the complex.

youngsinatra

Probably helps because it‘s supporting cholinergic tone.

I would bet it‘s either B1 or B5.

webbt

@Jason_Stewartes betaine and choline are very close to each other. It's interesting that betaine didn't seem to help but choline does.

Higher intake of choline is associated with negative outcomes, but I'm highly skeptical that there is any causative role. I wouldn't worry about long-term supplementation it should be safe.

some information on choline I've found
Interaction with Choline and Pantothenic Acid with Carnitine in
Humans and Rodents
, 1994.
20mg/kg choline supplementation for 5 days reduced urinary carnitine by 60% and reduced plasma carnitine slightly.

This doesn't necessarily mean anything bad. And doesn't mean that supplementing carnitine is the answer. Could be something to try though.

other info
Functionally choline in its oxidised form (the metabolite glycine betaine) contributes to S-adenosylmethionine synthesis – a chief methyl donor involved in DNA and histone methylation which play a central role in regulating gene expression and potentially modulating brain function.9 10 Choline also influences liver function, with shortfalls linked to defective lipoprotein metabolism, abnormal phospholipid synthesis and oxidative damage.11

Low oestrogen status (oestrogen catalyses phosphatidylcholine conversion to choline via the phosphatidylethanolamine-N-methyltransferase; PEMT enzyme) and genotype (eg, polymorphisms in the PEMT gene) can both alter choline dietary requirements.12 For the latter, a growing body of evidence exists suggesting that choline requirements may depend on the presence of several genotypes and that individuals with these could well have choline requirements higher than current recommended intakes.13 14

You might want to make sure you don't have a fatty liver. That is what choline treats.
Have you ever gotten a full-body scan? Liver elastography should be able to detect fatty liver. It's ultrasound.

Might want to try fat-soluble b5 called Pantethine. It is related to choline and also treats fatty liver. A gram a day is safe. Effects occur within a few weeks.

AlaskaJono

@Jason_Stewartes
Get Thee to an Acupuncturist! Stat!.... . Seriously, you will not benefit from a silver bullet very much. I am in Tasmania, so no help to you. I am serious. TCM is fantastic for overall balance. I do not know of anyone there, but you can find out with a little searching no doubt. You have a Yin disturbance, and maybe deficient heat. Just a wild guess. Start your journey into TCM now, and yes Ray Peat would not disagree with doing cellular metabolistic rebalancing as well. So tell the Acu Shaman what up. Cheers, and best regards.