Some Thoughts On Avocadoes

Is Fat The New Fit? Josh Rubin Interview With The RawBrahs

Josh Rubin Says Too Much Ice Cream Will Make You Fat

Josh Rubin is the founder of EastWest Healing and Performance in San Diego. It is he and his wife Jeanne's business. They started off with the typical 2009-2010 popular Weston Price stuff, and recommended taking 5-HTP supplements because they were following people like Julia Ross, author of "The Mood Cure," who called Ray Peat's views on hormones "sexist" in a 2013 interview, and she says that you need to boost your serotonin levels, and only in late 2010 did Josh switch gears and started interviewing Peat on his podcast. There are YT videos on his channel from that time with pompous certitude about things opposite of Peat, and only a few months later he helped to initiate what would become #raypeat. Now they try to separate themselves from being "Peat" though.

"For one, we don't eat, live and breathe according to a book, a person etc. like others do. Do we study Rays work, for sure we do but we also use it and mix it with others work, human physiology and the the person in front of us, which most ignore."

Not criticizing him just letting people know who the person in the video is.

milk_lover

avocados taste horrible anyways, I don't know how people enjoy them. Maybe because they hear it's supposed to be healthy, they force their taste buds to enjoy them like millions of women whose diets consist of 90% salads. No trying to judge but that doesn't sound delicious to me. Ray Peat doesn't think mono-saturated that healthy BUT still better than PUFA so he thinks it's ok to have occasionally like his advice on olive oil.

aquaman

Josh is also one of the guys that really helped to spread the Peat message in 2010/11. And for sure working with 100s of clients over a Jim we of years he knows way more than 99.9% of forum visitors here on what works in the real world.

In one of the Herb Doctor interviews a woman talks about eating avocado and salmon sushi on rice.

Ray says something like "that has a good balance of protein, fat and carbs" ie saying it's a good meal.

Note he did not say "OMG the starch and PUFAs are gonna mess you up, you shouldn't eat that!" But that's probably what majority of posts on here would say.

I don't see anyone on here (ok maybe 1 or 2) who have had success on an OJ and milk diet. And yet many still do it, not actually eating proper meals. I truly think this forum is blind leading the blind at times.

OP
M

Mufasa

Josh is also one of the guys that really helped to spread the Peat message in 2010/11. And for sure working with 100s of clients over a Jim we of years he knows way more than 99.9% of forum visitors here on what works in the real world.

In one of the Herb Doctor interviews a woman talks about eating avocado and salmon sushi on rice.

Ray says something like "that has a good balance of protein, fat and carbs" ie saying it's a good meal.

Note he did not say "OMG the starch and PUFAs are gonna mess you up, you shouldn't eat that!" But that's probably what majority of posts on here would say.

I don't see anyone on here (ok maybe 1 or 2) who have had success on an OJ and milk diet. And yet many still do it, not actually eating proper meals. I truly think this forum is blind leading the blind at times.

Ehm... ? You serious? I have HUGH success with OJ and milk diet. I think people with problems are more likely to post their experiences, then people that have success.

I'm experiencing great health success with milk and OJ and fruits.

At first, no. But I had to get things worked out from years of high PUFA and high fat lowish carbs. It takes months for a metabolism to change direction even in a good way.

Avocado -- I ate 1 - 2 of them a day for a long time, maybe several years. And I ate a bag or two of pistachio nuts most days.

No wonder it takes some time to fix all this.

Agent207

avocados taste horrible anyways, I don't know how people enjoy them.

You gotta be kidding; fresh organic ripe avocados is one of the tastiest pleasures for me. I think they're a healthy and nutritious fat source, high oleic, very little pufa.

Maybe because they hear it's supposed to be healthy, they force their taste buds to enjoy them...
Now try to replace liver for avocado in that sentence...
According to your rationale liver must be bad when most people are doing every imaginable cooking trick to mask its flavour.

... and here is when blind following interpretation of Peat's quotes enters in strongly biased area.

Hass Avocado Composition and Potential Health Effects

The avocado oil consists of 71% monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), 13% polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA), and 16% saturated fatty acids (SFA)

---

In hypercholesterolemic subjects, avocado enriched diets improved blood lipid profiles by lowering LDL-cholesterol and triglycerides and increasing HDL-cholesterol compared to high carbohydrate diets or other diets without avocado. In normolipidemic subjects, avocado enriched diets improved lipid profiles by lowering LDL-cholesterol without raising triglycerides or lowering HDL-cholesterol. These studies suggest that avocado enriched diets have a positive effect on blood lipids compared to low-fat, high carbohydrate diets or the typical American diet. However, since all these trials were of a small number of subjects (13–37 subjects) and limited duration (1–4 weeks), larger and longer term trials are needed to confirm avocado blood lipid lowering and beyond cholesterol health effects.

---

Avocado fruit carbohydrates are composed of about 80% dietary fiber, consisting of 70% insoluble and 30% soluble fiber (Marlett and Cheung, 1997). Avocados contain 2.0 g and 4.6 g of dietary fiber per 30 g and one-half fruit, respectively

---

milk_lover

You gotta be kidding; fresh organic ripe avocados is one of the tastiest pleasures for me. I think they're a healthy and nutritious fat source, high oleic, very little pufa.

Now try to replace liver for avocado in that sentence...
According to your rationale liver must be bad when most people are doing every imaginable cooking trick to mask its flavour.

... and here is when blind following interpretation of Peat's quotes enters in strongly biased area.
No need to accuse me especially for liver :) I don't think eating too much liver is good either. Do I eat a lot of liver? No. It's rather eaten occasionally. Ok you like avocado. I am not preventing you from having them. Did I say they are they are very bad for health?

lindsay

I love avocados. But I only eat them occasionally - occasional guacamole, sushi, etc. I think the biggest confusion I get around fats is, where was the product grown and was it grown in a warm environment? Olive oil, for instance, tends to come from the Mediterranean regions of the world - probably from the Middle East as well. Those are quite warm environments. Avocados in the US usually come from Mexico. I don't know what region in Mexico, but I would imagine the warmer climate in Mexico is what gives them a more MUFA profile. RP says that the climate has a lot to do with the fat profile.

Again, if you only eat them occasionally and are not overweight in general, it's probably not a big deal to eat them. In general, I think that if you are going to consume a fat which is not saturated, the actual fruit is better than the oil. Olives versus lots of olive oil. Avocado versus avocado oil, etc.

Ukall

egg yolks and oysters have so much value that avocadoes don't. So I don't agree.
But "if you are trying to deplete PUFAs"...
So, there are nuts and fatty fishes that have good nutritional values. In those terms, maybe they should be "allowed".

Last edited:
But "if you are trying to deplete PUFAs"...
So, there are nuts and fatty fishes that have good nutritional values. In that terms, maybe they should be allowed.

yes, but why not stick to foods that are low in PUFAs with a few exceptions where those foods are irreplaceable.

For instance I try to keep my iron down, but I eat liver for the enormous benefits I can't get from any other food.

For PUFAs, for me, eggs and oysters are an exception. I can avoid fatty fish and nuts because they are easily replaced by foods that provide high nutrition and don't have PUFAs.

Agent207

No need to accuse me especially for liver :) I don't think eating too much liver is good either. Do I eat a lot of liver? No. It's rather eaten occasionally. Ok you like avocado. I am not preventing you from having them. Did I say they are they are very bad for health?

Not accusing intended :) its just you seemed too straigth with that afirmation on people forcing themselves to eat them without enjoying them, when I think that scenario matches more well with liver generally. I like both avocados and liver, obviously I think liver is far more important in nutritious terms, but I too agree both are best when eaten with moderation.

SarahBeara

I love avocados but they hate me. High in FODMAPs so a killer for a weak stomach.

I interesting fact regarding avocados, they co-evolved with the sloth as their primary food.

I don't think sloths could be accused of having a high metabolic rate. :tearsofjoy:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Apparently Ray considers avocados hepatotoxic.
Babies
ETA: and carcinogenic.

narouz

Apparently Ray considers avocados hepatotoxic.
Babies
ETA: and carcinogenic.

Yes, Blossom, I was just going to say
that even though I love avocados,
I've avoided them because I heard in an interview I think
Peat saying that they are "practically hepatotoxic."
But looking at the fat analysis above...that intense warning wouldn't seem to be warranted, would it?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals