Some things I've learned

mariange

Just posting a few things I've learned that have helped me adjust to this lifestyle. These are specific to me, so your experiences might be different.

I thought I couldn't handle milk. I told myself just to "deal with it" for a few weeks as a test. I was stuffed up, phlegmy, sinuses ached, belching. And then the heavens parted and suddenly I was a milk drinker - with only a few symptoms left. I then moved to heavily sugared milk and drank it at room temp (not cold) and that got even better. Now I just pour a glass straight out of the carton - though I still prefer it room temp given a choice.

I stopped stressing over orange juice. I get the cheapest brand that is pulp-free, not from concentrate and that I can see separates into layers. Works well. I use Jenn's tip to add Cream of Tartar (when I remember - but I did buy a big bulk bag off Amazon) and also add salt.

Carrot salad - grating is a pain, but using a julienne shredder hand tool is quick and easy. I shred in the morning before work, mix up with coconut oil, salt, white vinegar, dash of honey and let it sit out on the counter all day which seems to infuse the flavor. Then eat for dinner (I get home after dark, so it also good for the 'avoid heavy protein after dark' suggestion).

Cascara is amazing - I hope to incorporate it for the rest of my life. Thanks to the person who posted the tip about emptying the capsule into water and drinking like a (cold) tea. I also add my easy-to-dissolve aspirin to this mixture and drink it up, leaving whatever floats to the bottom of the glass.

I go back and forth on gelatin (green can) - sometimes it digests well, sometimes not. I had some little worm-y things emerge from one of my cans, which turned my stomach a bit and will probably take awhile to get over before I'm ready to retry.

I love my coffee. But my digestion is much happier with what I brew at home vs. what I get "out in the world." I make one large really great cup in the morning with lots of milk and sugar, and then swear off the rest of the day. Not sure if this is an endotoxin issue or something else.

Too much white sugar drives my appetite. If I keep it moderate, I'm not hungry and it's easier to just stick to milk and juice as my main calorie sources.

Just wanted to share!

Mariange

J

j.

mariange said:
Carrot salad - grating is a pain, but using a julienne shredder hand tool is quick and easy.

Consuming the carrot without grating it still has great effects on me.

OP
M

mariange

j. said:
Consuming the carrot without grating it still has great effects on me.

That was how I started too - just chewing it up well. But I think the pre-cut really works better for me and takes almost no time.

caroline

Mariange,

Does leaving the carrot salad out all day keep it from going solid? when I melted the coconut oil and then mixed it in with the cold carrot, it got all clumpy and congealed, basically turning back into a solid, and it made the carrot salad gross. Wondering if leaving it out like you do, keeps it from getting thick like that so it stays mixed without separating...

jyb

caroline said:
it got all clumpy and congealed

Saturated fats are solid at room temperature, and even more so at fridge temperature. I usually don't mind about the texture whatsoever, since a carrot salad can be swallowed in a few seconds (better than chewing so that fiber go through undigested).

caroline

Thanks, JYB, but that was the issue I was having. I know there is nothing wrong with it, but I don't like it this way, so I was curious about Mariange's method, if this allowed one to have the carrot salad at room temp without it congealing. I am highly un-picky about aesthetics, but in this case, I do not like thickened coconut oil on the carrot.

Peata

In my experience, it's the cold from the carrots -straight from fridge that cause the coconut oil to harden. If I could remember to have the carrots at room temp, that would help. As it is, I don't even grate the carrot and make the salad anymore - I eat a spoon of pickle juice (for the vinegar), eat some coconut oil, and eat my carrots.

caroline

Thanks, Peata. Great suggestion; makes sense about the temp. Your way sounds easiest. I saw that about the pickle juice, and it was much more appealing than vinegar to me, but I don't do well with garlic, which is usually in pickles.