Some questions about diet.

emunah

So, I'm fascinated with R. Peat articles, but I must say I still have doubts whether at least part of this fascination stems from the fact that he's endorsing my favorite foods. :) It's so different from anything I've read so far about diet and nutrition that I feel like I don't know anything. (I think it's quite true)

I don't have any major health problems (I had recurring sinusitis but it cleared after I removed wheat and gluten from my diet). However my parents did have health problems, my mother got dementia pretty early in her life, so I'm mostly interested in preserving my brain functions.

I must say that I was kind of afraid to eat sugar again after reading all the articles how bad it is for my health. I also felt very positive difference after I quit sugar over year ago. But it's very possible that the difference was due to fact that I quit gluten/wheat at the same time and most of the food with both, contain also substantial amount of PUFA.

I try to eat more Peat-like, though it's quite hard for me as I don't like to drink milk.
Therefore I have some questions:

1. Is milk powder OK? (provided it's good quality etc.)
2. One of my favorite food not really endorsed by Peat is oatmeal. I eat it now, after cooking gluten-free oats for more than 40min because it's one of the ways for me to drink milk. Do you think it's dangerous in the long run?

J

j.

emunah said:
1. Is milk powder OK? (provided it's good quality etc.)

Look at the ingredients. I often see corn oil and things like that, which is among the most important things to avoid.

Peata

I understand that if the dry milk powder is fat free, it's OK because it won't have oxidized fat.

Mittir

Here is a RP response on powder milk

Ray Peat wrote:
"It's not as good as fresh milk, or cheese, but when they aren't available, 100 grams (or more) would be a good addition to the diet, because of the high ratio of calcium to phosphate, as well as other nutrients."
source :http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=1035&start=120#p31441
In another interview he mentioned that fragile amino acids in whey
powder and milk are oxidized at high temperature processing and should be avoided.
He generally recommends against regular use of dehydrated products
as they can be quite allergenic and toxic due to oxidization problem.
Gelatin powder is possibly an exception because it's free of tryptophan and
cysteine ( these are fragile amino acids).
He recommends dairy mainly for good quality protein and good ratio of
calcium to phosphorus. Most cheese ( cottage cheese, farmer's cheese
don't have much calcium) are high in calcium and protein quality is much
better than milk as tryptophan is removed in cheese making process.
Some cheese ( mozzarella type) have high content of tryptophan.
In a way cheese is better than milk but lactose in milk can help with
constipation. He does warn against industrial enzyme in modern cheese.

CHEESE

[In cheese,] When the label says "enzymes," it is likely that they are using one of the new products; lots of people are having serious intestinal reactions to commercial cheeses. Real animal rennet is still safe, as far as I know. Industrial grade citric acid is a serious allergen for some people, because it contains contaminants that aren't in natural fruit citric acid, but it's probably safer than the industrial "enzymes." The producers of the enzyme products claim they are highly purified, but some people react as though they still contain some antigens from the microorganisms. The traditional cheeses were made with milk that soured with the bacteria that lived in the cows, but now it's common to sterilize the milk, and then add cultures, or enzymes, or citric acid, for standardization---but they often put their faith in a commercial product that seems to work well, but that could have serious allergenic contaminants. The same thing has been happening with aged cheeses, many places are no longer letting the native molds infect the cheese curds. Homogenizing doesn't cause any problems---unless they use solvents/detergents for adding the vitamins A and D that are required in milk with reduced fat. The vitamins aren't normally added to whole milk or cream.

Here is a quote on oats

GRAINS (BEST TO WORST)

Masa harina (best), white rice or oats, and brown rice. The phytic acid in the oats block absorption of much of the calcium; cooking the oats much longer than usual might improve its nutritional value.
Source: http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011/12/ ... tandi.html
This link has almost all the basic info on his recommedations.

Dan W

emunah said:
I try to eat more Peat-like, though it's quite hard for me as I don't like to drink milk.

I'm the same way. Have you tried adding other things to make it palatable? I find sugar syrup, cocoa powder, or blackstrap molasses (although Peat warns it can be allergenic) makes it taste better. Or my favorite (credit to 4peatssake, I think?) is mixing 50% milk and 50% OJ. I add around a teaspoon of baking soda to make it a little more neutral and bubbly. It's a strange flavor, but tastes a lot better than straight milk to me.

J

j.

Among people unable to drink milk, isn't hypothyroidism the main cause?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dan Wich said:
emunah said:

I'm the same way. Have you tried adding other things to make it palatable? I find sugar syrup, cocoa powder, or blackstrap molasses (although Peat warns it can be allergenic) makes it taste better. Or my favorite (credit to 4peatssake, I think?) is mixing 50% milk and 50% OJ. I add around a teaspoon of baking soda to make it a little more neutral and bubbly. It's a strange flavor, but tastes a lot better than straight milk to me.
Or how about milk and honey? Yum!!!

mimi

I was the same, never really enjoyed drinking milk, and I can't quite stomach milk with honey either... I LOVE MILK WITH MAPLE SYRUP, though. oh, yum. I'm going to get some right now, actually.

Infinite Fred

Warming up the milk just a little on the stove, adding a pinch of vanilla, cinnamon and sugar/honey makes a delicious chai like drink and is great before bed :thumbup