Some of My Best Friends Are Germs

Peata

This might need moved, but...

Article: "Some of My Best Friends Are Germs" by Michael Pollan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/19/magaz ... d=all&_r=0

I found it interesting and wondered how the Peat perspective falls in with this?

I have some thoughts on the info as it pertains to my own experience, but will have to come back to it later.

Also I have a question and I'll post it elsewhere too, but since it kinda pertains to the article above.... I'm finishing up a course of antibiotics tomorrow (prescribed to ward off possible infection from a dermatological surgery last Tues.) and am pondering what to do to help replenish my gut? I am just this morning starting to feel the effect of yeast overpopulation (ladies will know what I'm talking about). I may have a bottle of probiotics around, or should I eat some pickled things, or even roll around in the dirt a bit?

OP
Peata

Peata

I just had this moment of reminiscence about how as a kid (I grew up on farm) I was out playing or working in the dirt *all the time*, handling animals, etc. There was no such thing as antibacterial gel that I know of, at least we didn't use it, just soap and water before eating. About half the time it was plain soap like Ivory, but we did have antibacterial soap around, which my father bought to use as "deodorant soap" I think, but we also used as hand soap if it was there.

Maybe I'm getting a little off topic here, but to be honest, I wouldn't be as germ obsessed as I sometimes am these days, but I have had this fear of flesh-eating bacteria ever since the stories broke back in the mid 90s and that you hear about today now and then. If it wasn't for that, I'd do a lot less hand-washing and stop using rubbing alcohol, gels, etc.

Gabriel

I certainly agree with the message of that articles. Certain bacteria are without a doubt beneficial. Killing these bacteria may cause harm because bad bacteria may take their place.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals