"Some Fruits, Including Bananas, Pineapples, And Tomatoes. "

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ray Peat said:
"Some fruits, including bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes, contain enough serotonin to produce
physiological effects in susceptible people."

Source: Serotonin Newsletter March 2011

kiran

Re: "Some fruits, including bananas, pineapples, and tomatoe

Tomatoes, damnit.

MrMoose63

Charlie said:
Ray Peat said:
"Some fruits, including bananas, pineapples, and tomatoes, contain enough serotonin to produce
physiological effects in susceptible people."

Serotonin Newsletter

So how do cultures like Italian and Mexican get by?

Italian - Bread & Pasta = Endotoxin, Tomatoes = Serotonin
Mexican - Beans = Endotoxin, Avocado= PUFA, Tomatoes = Serotonin

Is there something in there diet (possibly cheese) that would help to reduce these issues?

Attachments

• pimpomemail.png
    pimpomemail.png
    1 KB · Views: 60

kiran

I wonder if cooking reduces serotonin.

Birdie

Well, I remember Peat said he hadn't had a good tomato since the 50s. These factory creations cultivated to hold up in transport and storage don't have much taste he continues.

But all that has nothing to do with me. I'm nightshade sensitive and have been off tomatoes for 15 years. However, I've felt bad for my husband since whatever we cook has to suit both. I used to buy him tomatoes. But he told me to stop because they always tasted bland.

Sooo, I've been doing him a favour after all. :lol:

Birdie

kiran said:
I wonder if cooking reduces serotonin.
No... it doesn't.

kiran

Ideally speaking, I believe the gut has the Monoamine oxidase A (MAO-A) enzyme which *should* deactivate serotonin. So there's a lot of variability there I imagine. Which is why Peat mentioned "...in susceptible people"

Birdie

kiran said:
Ideally speaking, I believe the gut has the Monoamine oxidase A (MAO-A) enzyme which *should* deactivate serotonin. So there's a lot of variability there I imagine. Which is why Peat mentioned "...in susceptible people"

So, you're saying that although cooking doesn't effect serotonin, an enzyme in the gut might deactivate it.

Birdie

What was the date on the Serotonin Newsletter? My subscription just started in January. I don't think I got that NL.

Birdie

Rachel said:
I guess this puts the kibosh on the '30 Bananas + 30 Pineapples + 30 Tomatoes a Day!' diet. :neener
Oh, Rachel, I was going to start that tomorrow!!

kiran

Birdie said:
kiran said:

So, you're saying that although cooking doesn't effect serotonin, an enzyme in the gut might deactivate it.

I imagine so, yes. But perhaps eating raw tomato can somehow protect the serotonin from your enzymes. Which is why i have an odd reaction to eating raw tomato, but minimal reaction to the cooked stuff.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Birdie said:
What was the date on the Serotonin Newsletter? My subscription just started in January. I don't think I got that NL.

March 2011

Birdie

Charlie said:
Birdie said:

March 2011
Thanks, I don't have it, then.

Birdie

Very interesting subject for thought.

My question is. "Who are the susceptible people?" Anybody with gut problems = a susceptible person? So, if you show signs of high serotonin, this would indicate a gut problem... I'd list the symptoms but that info isn't available in my brain. :shock:

I've not heard him warning about tomatoes before... Even heard him say since they are a fruit, they are okay to eat raw from the garden.

He talks about the problems with bananas and pineapples a lot in interviews. Industrialization and monoculture leading to stress on the fruits which makes them produce chemicals to ward off the stress. But that's only a related problem to our subject here.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Birdie said:
My question is. "Who are the susceptible people?"

Hypothyroid people I would assume.

Birdie

Charlie said:
Birdie said:
My question is. "Who are the susceptible people?"

Hypothyroid people I would assume.

From Serotonin, Depression and Aggression:
Serotonin tends to cause hypoglycemia, and hypoglycemia inhibits the conversion of thyroxine into the active T3 hormone.

Autistic children and their relatives have high concentrations of serotonin in their serum and platelets.

Birdie

Who is susceptible?

Ray Peat
Serotonin and estrogen have many systematically interrelated functions, and women are much more likely to suffer from depression than men are. Serotonin and histamine are increased by estrogen, and their activation mimics the effects of estrogen. Serotonin is closely involved in mood disorders, but also in a great variety of other problems that affect women much more frequently than men. These are probably primarily energy disorders, relating to cellular respiration and thyroid function. Liver disease and brain disease, e.g., Alzheimer’s disease, are both much more common in women than in men, and serotonin and estrogen strongly affect the energetic processes in these organs.

narouz

kiran said:
Tomatoes, damnit.

Yeah. :cry:

And, then some say,
that Peat says,
they are fine without the seeds.

How in the world do you eat around the seeds in a tomato...? :?