Some effects of various dietary carbohydrates on thyroid act

jb4566

Re: Some effects of various dietary carbohydrates on thyroid

I wouldn't take anything carbsane has to say too seriously, all she does is attack people.

jaa

She definitely does a lot of that, but when she's not attacking people her posts are pretty informative.

Swandattur

What I wonder is, why did I get more allergic and in worse health on a ketogenic diet if it is supposed to take the place of thyroid? I suppose the traditional Eskimo diet is ketogenic despite the fact that it does contain lots of cranberries, blueberries, salmon berries and others berries, and they did very well on that diet. They also eat lots of slimy stuff that grows on fermenting things like fish heads.
Another question is, doesn't breast milk contain quite a bit of sugar as well as fats, like a nice milkshake? Wouldn't that counteract the ketogenic affect of the fats?
A third question is about starches and sugars. With my disordered metabolism, I can't eat any starch without having my blood sugar and mood get totally out of whack. Most traditional food cultures contain some, if not, a lot of starch, and this doesn't happen to them. Is there something about the combination of too much starch with too much sugar? Or maybe it's the stress levels in the modern world.
I think I had another question, but can't remember what it was. If I think of it, I will throw it out there.

Mittir

Swandattur said:
What I wonder is, why did I get more allergic and in worse health on a ketogenic diet if it is supposed to take the place of thyroid?
Charlie posted this as " Quote of the week" few weeks ago. This explains increased allergy on low carb diet.
Allergy and blood sugar
“Hypoglycemia (which can result from any respiratory defect) can produce malfunction of any tissue, but brain dysfunction and immune dysfunction are very common effects. Adamkiewics has shown that allergic reactions to a given substance will decrease from 100 percent to zero, when the blood glucose increases from, for example, 50 mg % to 150 mg% or more. Progesterone (and thyroid) will help in most allergic diseases, including the autoimmune and ‘collagen diseases,’ because it helps to maintain blood sugar (promoting respiration and improving use of fat, sparing glucose) and also because it stabilizes lysosomes."
-Ray Peat, PhD. Nutrition for Women page 19.
Another question is, doesn't breast milk contain quite a bit of sugar as well as fats, like a nice milkshake? Wouldn't that counteract the ketogenic affect of the fats?
RP mentioned in an interview that you mostly burn fat at rest and we rely on
glucose with increased physical activity. A baby really does not have an active life,
they sleep most of the time. Their need for sugar is not as high as active people.
According to nutritiondata.com 100 grams of human milk has
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dai ... ducts/95/2
7 grams of sugar
1 grams pf protein
4 grams of fat
Breakdown : Carb : 39 % Fat : 55 % and Protein : 6 %
RP recommends 33 to 50 percent carb and he also mentioned that
one can use upto 50 percent fat as energy source.
Only protein intake does not fit RP's recommendation for adults.
Also babies get most of their thyroid hormone from mother's milk.
In an KMUD interview, Sarah was talking about diet of Eskimos or some other
group of people, who ate a lot of saturated fat.
They had problem with fertility and their fertility increased
during a part of the year when certain animal were available.
Thyroid of that animal helped them with increasing fertility.

SAFarmer

I find that findings of Adamkiewics fascinating and was wondering if anyone know of more studies highligting the benefits of relative high blood sugar vs low . All the low carb groups always pound the supposed benefits of LOW Blood Sugar and that cells are supposed to die in higher BG levels. I am not so sure and would like to see any more research available on that.

Swandattur

Just in my own experience, lower blood sugars seem to correlate with better mood, but I think it seems like an after effect. Actually, if I stay carefully off starches (and maybe a few other things like gums) my blood sugar seems to stay pretty level no matter how much sugar and fruit I eat. I think it might be LPS causing the trouble. http://www.microbialinfluence.com/Emotions.html

Thanks, Mittir for that information. I wonder if having plenty of berries to eat in he fall might have some effect, too. My mother told me one time that when she was a kid, babies were not strong like they are now. She said they just were not as active and could not move around as much as modern babies. I assumed, at the time, this was due to less nutrition, but now I wonder if it wasn't that.

Swandattur

I don't feel so good either when I wait too long to eat. So, too low, too long is certainly not good!

michael94

Edward said:
post 30734 Thyroid hormone being catabolic: I think there is some confusion as to what anabolic and catabolic means, a catabolic hormone can appear to be anabolic and vice versa.

To simplify, when mitochondrial respiration is low due to insufficient thyroid, anabolic hormones cannot act, anabolism requires energy (and catabolism releases energy), when you increase respiration (for instance taking T3) anabolic hormones can then act giving the appearance that thyroid is anabolic.

When we are talking about anabolic and catabolic processes this does not mean perception, we are talking on the molecular level, what is actually physically going on, not how thinks look.

As far as sugar. I think there are some things being over simplified. Fructose is not always fructose as in fruit sugar. It becomes important to know the different types of fructose because they behave differently (and the molecular structure is different), especially in papers, and this is the case for other sugars as well. For example: β-D-fructopyranose, α-D-fructopyranose, β-D-fructofuranose, α-D-fructofuranose, keto-D-Fructose, fructose 1,6-bisphosphate, fructose 2,6-diphosphate, and also the isomers of fructose were appropriate.

Details like this are not always in the abstract and require you to have access to the paper. I can't give out every full paper I don't have the time but usually if you are not at a school, a public library has extensive access to full text databases.

As far as my reputation and/or competence: there is much too much talk about that and not enough talk about the actual subject. As always, if you want to know my background you can view it from the relevant part of the forum: http://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1573

I'm still looking through this thread and will get some responses out if I missed anything or where appropriate.

Looking at your profile you seem to no longer be active here, but your posts are a gold mine. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals