Solving Histamine Intolerance With Peppermint Oil? DO Or DON'T

Julian

I have been dealing with histamine issues that have quite intensified when I switched over to eating more 'peaty' and adding more carbs and sugar into my diet.

I now can't eat or drink any fruit anymore, because I get instant red itchy rashes in random places when I do so.

In my quest to find a cure I found someone on Reddit who had cured their Histamine Intolerance using high doses of peppermint oil. See link below:

I cured my Histamine intolerance (again) this time with Enteric coated Peppermint oil : HistamineIntolerance

However, when I started researching Peppermint Oil and looked here on the forum, I saw that Peppermint Oil seems to lower DHT because it blocks 5a-reductase. This is why people seem to also use it for hair loss recovery.

I'm kind of scared to use it now, because I don't want to lower my DHT. However, I'm debating on whether I should still try the peppermint oil for 2 weeks, to see if it removes my histamine issues.

I was wondering if someone can give me some good perspectives on this. Will it ruin my DHT/hormones when I use the peppermint oil for 2 weeks? And/or could I recover from that fast?

Any insights would be appreciated :)

Wilfrid

Can you have access to a glucometer ? It can become your most useful tool here.
If anything, strong histamine reactions find its root cause in blood sugar dysfunction.
And from this state, and if you are not able to greatly improve it, your condition won't durably improve. So yes, you can probably try the herbs route, it might work up to a point but without spotting the cause you will be back to square one sooner or latter. And you will probably throw some confounding factors in your search for better recovery by including supplements/herbs, ect....that can induce hormonal change or sollicitation from your own hormonal system. So it's better to start with foods even if you have to consider that those same foods can have hormonal activities as well.
Solving it can be difficult but, really, you should start from the blood sugar thing.

OP
Julian

Julian

If anything, strong histamine reactions find its root cause in blood sugar dysfunction.
And from this state, and if you are not able to greatly improve it, your condition won't durably improve. So yes, you can probably try the herbs route, it might work up to a point but without spotting the cause you will be back to square one sooner or latter. And you will probably throw some confounding factors in your search for better recovery by including supplements/herbs, ect....that can induce hormonal change or sollicitation from your own hormonal system. So it's better to start with foods even if you have to consider that those same foods can have hormonal activities as well.
Solving it can be difficult but, really, you should start from the blood sugar thing.

I've never heard that theory. Where do you get this from that histamine and blood sugar dysfunction are related?

I personally think the problem lies more with my gut microbiome and possibly estrogen because estrogen and histamine tend to part of a vicious cycle.

OP
Julian

Julian

Does anyone have an answer to my original questions?

HUF

Have you done mushrooms daily for a decent amount of time. They naturally lower histamine, are anti estrogen and lower seretonin. It's a staple of Ray's to use the carrot salad, white button mushrooms and bamboo shoots rotated to clean and heal the gut.

OP
Julian

Julian

Have you done mushrooms daily for a decent amount of time. They naturally lower histamine, are anti estrogen and lower seretonin. It's a staple of Ray's to use the carrot salad, white button mushrooms and bamboo shoots rotated to clean and heal the gut.

Yup, I do both and it hasn't worked for that purpose.

SQu

Wilfrid were you thinking of this? :

Slight damage to the immune system, such as can be produced by hypoglycemia or other energy deficit--creates an exaggerated inflammatory response, and the release of the mediators of inflammation, including histamine, serotonin, and prostaglandins, activates the stress hormone system, leading to further biological damage.

Found it here but he's mentioned it a few times:

Immunodeficiency, Dioxins, Stress, And The Hormones

Gustav3Y

For that is worth, definitely if not eating and under slight stress for many hours often I will start itching, but even without stress this can happen after lot of time not eating.
My gut health is not good which would be fair to mention.

As for mushrooms, pretty much all lower DHT also more or less, can be gut inflammatory, give gas, etc. so those aren't bulletproof either.

Sergey

Histamine is actively produced by gut flora during protein fermentation. Peppermint oil is strong antimicrobial, though other options are available too. Have you tried addressing potential issues with too much gut flora in the upper GI?
Your symptoms worsened after increasing carbs intake which can stimulate bacterial growth, so maybe there is an underlying issue which needs to be fixed - low thyroid, low stomach acid, some source of infection which antibiotics/mushrooms can't address?

Nemo

I have been dealing with histamine issues that have quite intensified when I switched over to eating more 'peaty' and adding more carbs and sugar into my diet.

I now can't eat or drink any fruit anymore, because I get instant red itchy rashes in random places when I do so.

In my quest to find a cure I found someone on Reddit who had cured their Histamine Intolerance using high doses of peppermint oil. See link below:

I cured my Histamine intolerance (again) this time with Enteric coated Peppermint oil : HistamineIntolerance

However, when I started researching Peppermint Oil and looked here on the forum, I saw that Peppermint Oil seems to lower DHT because it blocks 5a-reductase. This is why people seem to also use it for hair loss recovery.

Peppermint oil is my favorite go-to drug, so this is based on 20 years of actual use for me and my family members.

It's anti brain fog. It's anti muscle spasm. It's great for all digestive problems. It enhances exercise performance. It seems anti inflammatory. It's anti stuffy nose. It cures headaches. It seems to help weight loss.

I've seen the info you mention about it inhibiting 5a-reductase, but it's not something you have to use everyday forever, so I wouldn't hesitate to use it to clear up your symptoms. Then stop.

My husband uses it a few times a year, typically for a few weeks each time. He's been doing this for 20 years. He's taking it right now for a late-winter flare-up of gallstones. At 73, he's the only one of four brothers with a full head of hair. He has the testosterone level of a 30-year-old.

Even for severe problems, I haven't found that a high dose is needed for long. You can generally fix anything with a high dose for 2-3 days, then taper quickly to a low dose for a little while. You'll have to feel out the dose for your rashes, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a few weeks.

OP
Julian

Julian

Peppermint oil is my favorite go-to drug, so this is based on 20 years of actual use for me and my family members.

It's anti brain fog. It's anti muscle spasm. It's great for all digestive problems. It enhances exercise performance. It seems anti inflammatory. It's anti stuffy nose. It cures headaches. It seems to help weight loss.

I've seen the info you mention about it inhibiting 5a-reductase, but it's not something you have to use everyday forever, so I wouldn't hesitate to use it to clear up your symptoms. Then stop.

My husband uses it a few times a year, typically for a few weeks each time. He's been doing this for 20 years. He's taking it right now for a late-winter flare-up of gallstones. At 73, he's the only one of four brothers with a full head of hair. He has the testosterone level of a 30-year-old.

Even for severe problems, I haven't found that a high dose is needed for long. You can generally fix anything with a high dose for 2-3 days, then taper quickly to a low dose for a little while. You'll have to feel out the dose for your rashes, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a few weeks.

Thanks, I'll consider just using it briefly :)

Grischbal

ingestion or topically?

Motif

I'm kind of scared to use it now, because I don't want to lower my DHT. However, I'm debating on whether I should still try the peppermint oil for 2 weeks, to see if it removes my histamine issues.

I was wondering if someone can give me some good perspectives on this. Will it ruin my DHT/hormones when I use the peppermint oil for 2 weeks? And/or could I recover from that fast?

Any insights would be appreciated :)
Any improvement of your histamine intolerance meanwhile?