Solved? - IBS, SIBO, GERD, LPR, Colitis, Constipation, Celiac, Brain Fog

Dosing with 500mg once or twice a day with thiamine HCl or mononitrate is probably fine and much cheaper.

CLASH

@charlie
I think targeted anti-microbials may be helpful in the overall picture. A protocol could look as such:

1) Diet:
•meat
•seafood
•butter, tallow, coconut oil
•root veg
•fruit/ 100% juice
•introduce eggs, safe starches and dairy once digestion heals a bit

2) Nutritional support:
•vit C (acerola/ fruit)
•vit E (topical)
•vit D3 (sun/ lamp)
•vit A (liver)
•B vits (supp)
•taurine (supp)
•zinc (supp)

3) Digestive aids
•betaine HCL w/ pepsin
•ox bile
•digestive enzymes

3) Herbal antimicrobials:
•ceylon cinnamon oil
•oregano oil
•coconut oil
•pau D’ arco
•cats claw (uncaria tomentosa)

4) Biofilm Disruptors:
•bromelain (pineapple)

5) Bacteriophages:
•phage “x” depending on bacteria (if they can be sourced [eastern europe])

6) Pharma GI only antimicrobials:
•nystatin
•rifaximin

*none of the anti-microbials on here are really hardcore, nor do they come with high risks like some of the other options available. The pharma stuff works only in the gi tract here, nothing is systemic. The herbs, as long as they arent overdosed and arent taken for too long periods of time are relatively safe.

Due to necessity, I had to figure out what in the world is causing the SIBO, GERD and LPR epidemic happening here on this very forum and around the world. So I started digging and putting pieces of the puzzle together. And what started to become very clear was the gut issues were related to the brain, and I was starting to see that vitamin deficiencies was the likely cause. These deficiencies are B vitamins along with their cofactors, more specifically vitamin B1 and B3. However, as the saying goes, B vitamins run in a constellation so they all need to be in check.

The diseases of Pellagra(B3 deficiency) and Beriberi(B1 deficiency) are said to have been wiped out via fortification of foods. I disagree. Instead, what I think is that we have widespread Beriberi and Pellagra, or simply put, vitamin deficiencies that is causing the gut issues along with all the many other issues that come along with it.

So as I put my hypothesis together, I start finding others who had the same conclusion as I did, we are basically suffering from high calorie malnutrition. One said person who I found is Dr. Derrick Lonsdale who is a pretty smart fella. He is well up on the research behind Thiamine, how it works etc. He has found a lot of the same things that @haidut has found out about Thiamine. In his practice he was finding that many people were indeed deficient of Thiamine and also that Thiamine could be used as a drug per say, to help many things. He himself figured out that disease and illness is from an energy breakdown, all the same things we are saying here on the forum. He is a pretty smart dude, and has a lot of good info. Of course he does not have it all right, as do neither you nor I, but I am pretty impressed with his knowledge nonetheless.

Some key take aways from Dr. Lonsdale I have gotten so far:
-Thiamine blood tests are not reliable, it does not show how much Thiamine in the cell. Bam! Hello!
-For some people the transport mechanism is broken that moves Thiamine into the cell, for these people Thiamine HCL is not gonna work so well. For these people Allithiamine and Lipothiamine will work better due to them not needing the transport mechanism. So it would not matter how much Thiamine you are taking in via diet, if your transport mechanism is broken.
-It is possible to feel worse if you start taking Thiamine and are very deficient of it. This is known as a "refeeding effect".
-He always insists of taking magnesium with Thiamine.
-It can take a while for the systems to come back online, the enzymes and what have nots. It can take time to overcome this deficiency.
-B1 deficiency very easily messes with the nervous system and brain via Dysautonomia. Boom! There is your gut issues starting to come online.

Here is the blog he writes at:
Derrick Lonsdale, MD

So basically this all comes down to an energy issue. And it does not matter how high your thyroid is if you are not meeting the nutrient requirements or how little PUFA you got, if you do not have the basic elements to generate and utilize ATP. Things are not gonna work well, you brain is not gonna fire off right, your gut is not gonna communicate with the brain as it should so things are gonna get #rekt down there, energy for life is gonna start waxing and waning, hair is gonna start falling out and greying, your gonna get old real fast!

Could all the gut issues, constipation, pale poo, ulcerative colitis where you poop blood and your intestines are ripping apart be a simple vitamin deficiency? I think so...

Check out this thread on where I put the pieces together of constipation:
SIBO, Gut Motility, Constipation. What Is Really Going On? I Will Tell You

Look what @Scenes said in the thread about constipation and B1:

ATP brother, ATP. Bam!

Check out this thread where I nailed down vitamin B3 deficiency as the potential cause of many digestive issues:
SIBO, GERD, LPR, IBS, & Colitis Could Be Vitamin B3 Deficiency - "Niacin Treats Digestive Problems"

And this one where B3 aka Niacin wipes out Ulcerative Colitis! On this very forum @Gorrilahead puts his Ulcerative Colitis in "remission" with Niacin.
Niacin Ameliorates Ulcerative Colitis

Or this one where the long forgotten Pellagra is now being called Celiac Disease and due to this reclassification has people chasing unicorns:
The Case Of Mistaken Identity: How Pellagra Now Thought To Be Rare Became Known As Celiac Disease

And what do a lot of the people who have these gut issues complain of, brain fog! Aka, dementia! Well looky what we have here:
Dementia Or Pellagra? Niacin Deficiency In The 21st Century

So, why do a lot of Peaters Peater out on a Peat diet? Try saying that fast while deficient of B3. :D I am thinking it's due to B deficiencies. Things start off good, start seeing great results. However, the weight starts piling on, its not fat, its mostly water weight aka Edema! Guess what is connected to obesity and edema, boom, you got it, Thiamine. The skin issues(Pellegra B3) start to raise their ugly head when pushing up hard on the metabolism. And what else? Sugar. Empty calories like Dr. Lonsdale likes to say(the Dr. is all about the fruit so don't think he is not understanding about needing carbs, good try though! :D ). Sugar(emtpy calorie table sugar) is scientifically proven to worsen B1 deficiency. And guess what else possibly interferes with the B vitamins, coffee. Plus, we start eating "clean" and move away from the unfortified foods. So, then we start pushing our metabolism up hard, calling for even more nutrients, on top of modern day stressors which burn up even more of the B's and what do you got? The perfect storm for Beriberi and Pellagra hell. Or as I would rather say, a simple vitamin deficiency.

good post man... have you tried using brewers yeast? i dont trust most supplements, but thanks for the reminder, gonna hit that brewers

the hardest part is getting out the "allergic" foods... for ex if are allergic to milk, and you take B vitamins, that is not going to help you, but you still need calcium so you opt for cheese.... and then multiply that times every food group... and if you are really bad you need to figure out exactly what is causing the issue lol, ive had it before where i took B vitamins and just started slamming on the weight... good times

Last edited:

Cirion

good post man... have you tried using brewers yeast? i dont trust most supplements, but thanks for the reminder, gonna hit that brewers

the hardest part is getting out the "allergic" foods... for ex if are allergic to milk, and you take B vitamins, that is not going to help you, but you still need calcium so you opt for cheese.... and then multiply that times every food group... and if you are really bad you need to figure out exactly what is causing the issue lol, ive had it before where i took B vitamins and just started slamming on the weight... good times

Most calcium foods are over rated btw. It's the one place I disagree with peat on. Don't get me wrong, I do think close to 1 gram is recommended to intake, but other than that, I'm afraid Peat has had a little too much of a love affair with it. I've been tracking data since march of this year and it's clear from my data that peak benefits are reached in the 1-1.5 gram range and too much can actually be detrimental interestingly enough. So, I base my disagreement by actual experimental data, not just a gut feeling, so I feel like I have fairly strong standing to base my disagreement on.

With that said, I actually get most of my calcium from maple syrup now, which is a zero phosphorus ratio food too btw so its calcium:phosphorus ratio is infinity --edit, just looked it up, its actually 50:1 but for all intents and purposes, infinity..., a nearly perfect food if you ask me. And my data has shown similar trends for muscle meats / phosphorus being extremely negative, and the lower the better so peat is absolutely correct about that.

Most calcium foods are over rated btw. It's the one place I disagree with peat on. Don't get me wrong, I do think close to 1 gram is recommended to intake, but other than that, I'm afraid Peat has had a little too much of a love affair with it. I've been tracking data since march of this year and it's clear from my data that peak benefits are reached in the 1-1.5 gram range and too much can actually be detrimental interestingly enough. So, I base my disagreement by actual experimental data, not just a gut feeling, so I feel like I have fairly strong standing to base my disagreement on.

With that said, I actually get most of my calcium from maple syrup now, which is a zero phosphorus ratio food too btw so its calcium:phosphorus ratio is infinity --edit, just looked it up, its actually 50:1 but for all intents and purposes, infinity..., a nearly perfect food if you ask me. And my data has shown similar trends for muscle meats / phosphorus being extremely negative, and the lower the better so peat is absolutely correct about that.

well you definitely need some or RIP your prolactin.. but yeah the amount is debateable, i agree as long as you are hitting the "daily requirement" 1000mg... but damn thats a lot of maple syrup, i saw 1 cup = 320mg of calcium, are you just drinking it straight?

Cirion

well you definitely need some or RIP your prolactin.. but yeah the amount is debateable, i agree as long as you are hitting the "daily requirement" 1000mg... but damn thats a lot of maple syrup, i saw 1 cup = 320mg of calcium, are you just drinking it straight?

Oh yeah you need it like all the minerals not saying don't have it. I'm mostly referring to a few members I've seen here going to extremes like 3,4,5, even 6 gram of calcium lol.

I sometimes drink it straight, sometimes in coffee, sometimes diluted in water, sometimes in jello, just depends how the mood strikes me at the moment mostly.

T

TheBeard

Thanks for that conclusion, I always wondered why antibiotics seems to help some and others not, and in some cases worsen symptoms. My gut instinct (pun partially intended) was not to try antibiotics because I felt like it wasn't the answer myself also.

I've found btw that some fasting may be required until the gut/digestion is properly fixed and B vitamins restored. Throwing more food at it while things aren't digesting is not the answer. It sucks and is unpleasant at times, but I think I may finally be starting to slowly lower inflammation now. I still have lots of carbs, to prevent from going hypo doing this, but I am starting to go on 10-16 hr "solid food" fasts now to keep things moving in the right direction. Yesterday had to do a 16 hr intermittent "solid food fast" in particular since the day before I added bloat/inflammation and now I'm lower wt and in a better position than I was even the day prior.

What are all the cofactors?

Fasting, even for up to 4 days, never did anything for me in the long run.

Yes it provoked temporary relief, but only because the bacteria wasn't being fed as Haidut mentioned, so endotoxins production was lowered.

The bacteria just remained dormant, and came back in full force after eating resumed.

Cirion

Fasting, even for up to 4 days, never did anything for me in the long run.

Yes it provoked temporary relief, but only because the bacteria wasn't being fed as Haidut mentioned, so endotoxins production was lowered.

The bacteria just remained dormant, and came back in full force after eating resumed.

Well I don't think fasting that long is wise. I don't fast longer than 12-16 hrs, and I don't fast entirely from calories, only from protein and fats, the two macronutrients that seem to really aggravate bloating for me. You might be right, but the fact is I am heavily overweight and can't afford to gain more weight, so whether or not this is temporary while I try to fix the root cause doesn't worry me, if it helps me lose some weight then I have to do it. Just being as overweight as I am causes bacteria to proliferate anyways. All I am saying is one should not be eating offensive foods if they aren't helping. Yes fix the problem, but it is foolish to continue to feed the bacteria while they are still alive. This is a sustainable, if not annoying, solution for now as I don't have to completely fast and not every day either.

accelerator

These (b1 and b3) are two of the most commonly supplemented things on the forum; so I'm surprised you'd think it's down to that @charlie

Are you just saying people likely need higher doses, or for longer periods of time?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
While surfing the metabolic seas of the Ray Peat Forum and searching under the tag for "Thiamine" I ran across this thread by @haidut where you will see the red highlighted words in his first post call attention to the issue at hand. This issue being rampant Pellegra and Beriberi running wild while the medical establishment has us chasing boogeymen and unicorns, when it was simple vitamin deficiencies.

haidut said:
The deficiency of energy experienced by them is the result of the inadequate intake of micronutrients such as iron, thiamine and niacin
Source:
More Than One Third Of Men And Almost Half Of Women Are Energy Deficient

So just as @haidut figured out long ago, Dr. Lonsdale figured out decades ago, and well, I just figured out recently how important this is. B1 and B3 are crucial to energy metabolism and without adequate supply your metabolic firehouse aint gonna burn even if you have everything else right. Your autonomic system is not gonna be automatic. Your gut is not going to be as it should. You are going to have energy breakdown.

We have also learned from Dr. Lonsdale that the protein transport system of B1 can be wrecked so that you will not get the B1 as you should into the cells. He suggest Allithiamine or Lipothiamine which does not need the protein transport system. Or maybe, like @ecstatichamster has suggested very high doses of regular Thiamine HCL might also overcome this protein transport system breakdown.

We are also learning the Niacin works better for some people then Niacinamide. @Amazoniac thinks Niacin is safe at 40mgs-50mgs several times a day like Gerson recommended. Ray Peat has documented the issues with Niacin so they should definitely be taken under consideration. @Amazoniac feels some of the same issues are present even with Niacinamide and that doing the small doses frequently should hopefully bypass a lot of those.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
So niacinamide and thiamine HCL is accepted combo?
Dr. Lonsdale says to always take Magnesium with Thiamine due to the enzyme systems they both are needed for.

aquaman

My take on the topic:

Years and years of medications taken by our grandmothers and mothers made us born with less than ideal microbiomes.

To balance this biome, we need to leverage more drugs: antibiotics.

In an unnatural world, it’s foolish to want to thrive on natural solutions.

There are probably 50+ possible reasons for the things we call IBD/SIBO

This may be one of them

aquaman

Brewers yeast gave me the most brutal belly bloating I’ve ever experienced. Felt like Violet from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Felt like I was going to pop, must have flared-up by IBS/SIBO badly. Think my stomach became like a beer factory.

I’m taking 500mg a day of each — niacinAMIDE, lol, and thiamine mononitrate.

I will try it for a few months and see what happens.

Thanks @charlie

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I’m taking 500mg a day of each — niacinAMIDE, lol, and thiamine mononitrate.

I will try it for a few months and see what happens.
Dr. Lonsdale feels magnesium is very important to take with thiamine.

Also some of the other cofactors off the top of my head that have been discussed on this forum: potassium and manganase. If anyone remembers the others please chime in. I am doing OJ and AJ for potassium and sometimes a bit of potassium bicarb. And for manganase I do shots of maple syrup at the bar with @Cirion who drinks it by the mug full. :D

And like Dr. Lonsdale and @Amazoniac et all says, these B vitamins run in a constellation, so best to get them all in. I have included nutritional yeast non fortified, and also liver pills to help with that. Also looking into possibly Liverwurst but dang its expensive.

Cirion

Sounds good, that's pretty much my strategy also. I got lazy with the nutritional yeast. Time to bring that back...

Dr. Lonsdale feels magnesium is very important to take with thiamine.

Also some of the other cofactors off the top of my head that have been discussed on this forum: potassium and manganase. If anyone remembers the others please chime in. I am doing OJ and AJ for potassium and sometimes a bit of potassium bicarb. And for manganase I do shots of maple syrup at the bar with @Cirion who drinks it by the mug full. :D

And like Dr. Lonsdale and @Amazoniac et all says, these B vitamins run in a constellation, so best to get them all in. I have included nutritional yeast non fortified, and also liver pills to help with that. Also looking into possibly Liverwurst but dang its expensive.

Liverwurst is loaded with pufa laden pig fat.

Cirion

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals