Solid High-Carbon Steel For Cooking? What Say You?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Found a family owned business that makes high-carbon steel cookware. They say non toxic but was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the leeching possibilities from high-carbon steel? This is not Cast Iron.

Here is the site:

Btw they come pre-seasoned with coconut oil so at least that part is Peaty. lol

Appreciate any thoughts on this. No affiliation with Lockhart Ironworks.

Waynish

Does basically seem like you get what you pay for. The Le Creuset gear is awesome. I hear those old Pyrex-grade glass pots & pans are great, but they're hard to find and have rare spontaneous self-destruct incidents, if I recall correctly.

akgrrrl

Does basically seem like you get what you pay for. The Le Creuset gear is awesome. I hear those old Pyrex-grade glass pots & pans are great, but they're hard to find and have rare spontaneous self-destruct incidents, if I recall correctly.
Thanks for this mention on old Pyrex. Few know that the chemical composition of vintage is nothing like newer branded Pyrex. People chuckle at my full cabinets all Pyrex bakeware, tableware, cookware, even have the 2qt coffee percolater doubles as water boiling teakettle.

Waynish

Thanks for this mention on old Pyrex. Few know that the chemical composition of vintage is nothing like newer branded Pyrex. People chuckle at my full cabinets all Pyrex bakeware, tableware, cookware, even have the 2qt coffee percolater doubles as water boiling teakettle.

Right it was "Corning Pyrex" branded... I suppose something like that could be made again, but I'd have to be convinced it is worth the effort over the typical high end stuff like Le Creuset.

LA

Found a family owned business that makes high-carbon steel cookware. They say non toxic but was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the leeching possibilities from high-carbon steel? This is not Cast Iron. [snip]
carbon steel cookware made with carbon and iron? hmmm

Dr. Peat's recommendations:
or

Q: Can cooking in an iron frying pan put iron into food?
Yes, especially if the food is acidic, as many sauces are. The added iron will destroy vitamins in the food, besides being potentially toxic in itself.

Q: What about aluminum?
Aluminum and iron react similarly in cells and are suspected causes of Alzheimer's disease.
The aluminum industry started propagandizing more than 50 years ago about the "safety" of aluminum utensils, claiming that practically none of the toxic metal gets into the food. Recent research showed that coffee percolated in an aluminum pot contained a large amount of dissolved aluminum, because of coffee's acidity.

Q: What kind of cooking pots or utensils are safe?
Glass utensils are safe, and certain kinds of stainless steel are safe, because their iron is relatively insoluble. Teflon-coated pans are safe unless they are chipped.

Q: How do I know which stainless steels are safe?
There are two main types of stainless steel, magnetic and nonmagnetic. The nonmagnetic form has a very high nickel content, and nickel is allergenic and carcinogenic. It is much more toxic than iron or aluminum. You can use a little "refrigerator magnet" to test your pans. The magnet will stick firmly to the safer type of pan.

blob69

What is the difference between older and newer versions? Is Visions cookware not good then? I think Peat recommended it once.

akgrrrl

What is the difference between older and newer versions? Is Visions cookware not good then? I think Peat recommended it
New pyrex is thermal resistant tempered glass, much cheaper than making borosilicate orig pyrex.
Vintage pyrex is obviously fun; besides the clear laboratory genre, colors and patterns and hundreds of unusual designs made by Corning after 1915 make it something to truly enjoy. I have functional pieces in 5 rooms, but mostly enjoy the bakeware, tableware, and sturdy nature. Pyrex holds heat so well, I preheat my mugs because I like my coffee to stay hot

yerrag

Charlie wrote:
"Btw they come pre-seasoned with coconut oil so at least that part is Peaty. lol"

[grin]
if they come pre-seasoned - bank on the oil being rancid
Oils that are saturated don't go rancid.

yerrag

Not having touched and used the carbon steel pans, I could be wrong but my impression is they're thinner than the cast iron pans. For that reason, they hold less heat and the thing I like about cast iron pans is they hold a lot of heat. This makes it ideal for cooking food that require a lot of instant heating like fried rice and steak and pork chop where you like some searing. This is useful when the cooker used has low heating capacity. Gas burners in restaurants are powerful and cast iron pots and pans are not. needed although it still helps to have them when a lot of throughput is needed in a busy kitchen.

If you're using induction cookers, which have low heating capacity, or a home gas cook top, which has a puny flame, you need a cast iron pan. If you're using an infrared cook top, you can get away with using the carbon steel pan.

Not that I would recommend using an induction cooker. It gives off electromagnetic radiation, not much different from that of microwave ovens.

yerrag

New pyrex is thermal resistant tempered glass, much cheaper than making borosilicate orig pyrex.
Vintage pyrex is obviously fun; besides the clear laboratory genre, colors and patterns and hundreds of unusual designs made by Corning after 1915 make it something to truly enjoy. I have functional pieces in 5 rooms, but mostly enjoy the bakeware, tableware, and sturdy nature. Pyrex holds heat so well, I preheat my mugs because I like my coffee to stay hot
When did they convert to tempered glass? I had the impression that the corning glassware was handmade. Was that the reason they shifted to tempered glass in that it's use lends easily to automation in making their products?

I went to a factory tour in upstate New York in the early 90s and had the impression a lot of their products were handmade.

RealNeat

I'm not sure how big an issue the leaching of alloys in the SS are. I'd still follow Peat's recommendation for pans with higher steel content but according to this video SS leaching happens mostly when new and stabilizes after about 6 times of use.

So either pseudo cook with your new pan a few times or, as I do, but your SS cookware from the thrift store. Not only can you afford better quality that way but it's pre leached.

akgrrrl

When did they convert to tempered glass? I had the impression that the corning glassware was handmade. Was that the reason they shifted to tempered glass in that it's use lends easily to automation in making their products?

I went to a factory tour in upstate New York in the early 90s and had the impression a lot of their products were handmade.

yerrag

I see. I have a lot of the Vision line of cookware still around. I guess if i were to compare the old and the new visually, I would know one from the other by the level of transparency of the glass. The old ones may be more translucent? And now I recall where in upstate NY the company is located. It's Corning, NY. Nice are near the finger lakes.

akgrrrl

I see. I have a lot of the Vision line of cookware still around. I guess if i were to compare the old and the new visually, I would know one from the other by the level of transparency of the glass. The old ones may be more translucent? And now I recall where in upstate NY the company is located. It's Corning, NY. Nice are near the finger lakes.
I think the old is recognizable by CAPITAL letters.
I like that cooking, serving, and leftover storage can be all in one, plus breads and cakes brown nicely tho I lower the heat with everything except pizza. Crispy deepdish pizza in PYREX piepan made with Einkorn flour is high protein low gluten BIG yummies

akgrrrl

Thanks for clarifying. Is cooking in tempered glass harmful, does it contain any metals?
No, its clean. Its just more delicate, and pouring hot into cold glass go boom. Doesnt freeze like pyrex, isnt crack and break sturdy like pyrex, doesnt hold heat or cold like vintage pyrex

Attachments

• 20210224_185316.jpg
    20210224_185316.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210224_185309.jpg
    20210224_185309.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 39

blob69

No, its clean. Its just more delicate, and pouring hot into cold glass go boom. Doesnt freeze like pyrex, isnt crack and break sturdy like pyrex, doesnt hold heat or cold like vintage pyrex
I see, thanks, good to know! And WOW, looks great on the photos - beautiful colors too :)

LA

Oils that are saturated don't go rancid.
Coconut oil can become rancid, yellowish and stinky. We are good at washing up after cooking and eating so I cant tell you how long you need to have a pan sitting around before it will start stinking.

We have had trouble finding really great Coconut oil since 2017.

When I lived with my parents we used Hain Coconut Oil. It was very enjoyable.

Dr. Peat mentioned the classic Hain brand someplace in his writings.

I am including a link for you about other people who have found that Coconut-oil can go rancid. Although I used my nose on the coconut oils we were purchasing that made us decide to forgettaboutit.

Kindest regards - stay healthy!

Back
Top Bottom