SolBan - Liquid Aspirin/Caffeine/Niacinamide Mix

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have a new supplement (SolBan) for people interested in improving skin health or management of issues like hair loss, wrinkles, aging spots, cellulite, or simply protection from the sun.
It can be ordered from the links below:
www.idealabsdc.com

The supplement is for topical use only and consists of a water/ethanol solution containing niacinamide / nicotinamide, caffeine and aspirin. Each one of these ingredients has been shown in multiple human and animal experiments to be beneficial for skin health using topical administration. In addition, the combination of caffeine and niacinamide has been shown to work literally as a sunscreen so this could be an option for people who do not want to be exposed to the toxic excipients in most commercial products. While I do not claim that the product is effective for any medical condition, for information purposes I have listed a number of references below. These studies have looked at effectiveness and safety of each of the ingredients for specific conditions like UV skin damage, hair loss, photoaging, wrinkles, cellulite, skin cancer, dermatitis, acne, pruritis, eczema, psoriasis, etc.

Perhaps the most remarkable aspect of the product is the succinic acid. In recent human trials, it has been shown that increasing ATP levels in the scalp promotes hair growth in male androgenic alopecia, also known as male pattern baldness (MPB). The trials actually used a saturated fatty acid called pentadecanoic acid topically on the scalp and found that the effectiveness of that fatty acid in restoring hair growth was due to its effects on raising scalp levels of succinic acid, and succinic acid then dramatically increased ATP levels. This is not surprising as succinic acid is a very efficient precursor of ATP. So, we added succinic acid to SolBan to replicate the design of those human clinical trials.

Effect of the glyceride of pentadecanoic acid on energy metabolism in hair follicles
"...The effect of the glyceride of pentadecanoic acid (PDG) in treating male pattern alopecia has already been confirmed in a double blind controlled clinical test. In order to study the mechanism of the hair growing effect of PDG, ATP levels were measured in the hair follicles of rabbits. The ATP levels in telogen hair follicles increased remarkably with the application of PDG. To examine this effect, the metabolic properties of pentadecanoic acid (PDA) were investigated using the mitochondrial fraction prepared from guinea-pig hair follicles. It was shown that PDA could be metabolized in hair follicles, and succinic acid, which was formed in the degradation process of PDA, had a remarkable ATP producing ability. These results suggest that the hair growing effect of PDG depends on the efficient supply of energy to hair follicles, and this mechanism seems to be derived from the metabolic property of the odd numbered carbon fatty acid, PDA."

Based on the above study, pentadecanoic acid (another SFA) is now approved in Japan as topical treatment for hair loss.
Clinical Evaluation of The Product Containing Glyceride of Pentadecanoic Acid on Male Pattern Alopecia in Women

A combination of SolBan + Cardenosine (Cardenosine - Liquid Product For R&D) may be even more beneficial due to the additional antiinflammatory and antifibrotic effects of caffeine, niacinamide, aspirin, inosine, B6, etc.

Here are some comments from Ray on the topic of using aspirin, caffeine and niacinamide topically on the skin.
Cherry Angiomas (red Dots On Skin)
"...The sun-damaged areas in rosacea can be directly provided with some of the protective factors by applying them topically. In the same way that topical lactate can cause vasodilation and disturbed energy metabolism (Rendl, et al., 2001), topical niacinamide, progesterone, vitamin K, and coenzyme Q10 can improve the metabolism and function of the local tissues. Riboflavin can probably be useful when applied topically, but because of its extreme sensitivity to light, it should usually be used only internally, unless the treated skin is covered to prevent exposure to light. Topically applied caffeine, even after sun exposure, can reduce local tissue damage (Koo, et al., 2007). Aspirin and saturated fats can also be protective when applied topically."

Note: This product contains raw material(s) meant for external use only, in cosmetic or other formulations designed for such external use.

SolBan is a liquid mixture of niacinamide, caffeine, and aspirin. These ingredients have been shown in multiple human clinical trials (as well as animal studies) to have a highly protective effect on the skin against a number of harmful agents and processes. The list of harmful agents and processes includes sunlight (UV), metabolic disturbances, aging (wrinkles, cellulite), hormonal imbalance (acne, eczema, melasma), stress, polyunsaturated fats (PUFA), etc.
SolBan is available as a 20 % alcohol (ethanol) solution in a 2oz plastic spray bottle. The product is intended and sanctioned for external use only.

Serving size: 5 sprays (about 1ml)
Servings per container: about 60
Each serving contains:

Niacinamide / Nicotinamide - 40 mg
Caffeine - 10 mg
Salicylic acid - 10 mg
Succinic acid - 10 mg

Other ingredients: add product to shopping cart to see info

The recommended method of administration is spraying the affected skin area until it has a thin layer of the solution and the letting it dry (without rubbing). The product can be used as sunscreen adjuvant (Caffeine and caffeine sodium benzoate have a sunscreen effect, enhance UVB-induced apoptosis, and inhibit UVB-induced skin carcinogenesis in SKH-1 ... - PubMed - NCBI) due to the UV-blocking properties of caffeine and niacinamide / nicotinamide.

1. NIACINAMIDE
Nicotinic acid/niacinamide and the skin. - PubMed - NCBI
Topical niacinamide reduces yellowing, wrinkling, red blotchiness, and hyperpigmented spots in aging facial skin. - PubMed - NCBI
A review of nicotinamide: treatment of skin diseases and potential side effects. - PubMed - NCBI
Nicotinic acid/niacinamide and the skin. - PubMed - NCBI
Nicotinamide and the skin. - PubMed - NCBI
Nicotinamide - biologic actions of an emerging cosmetic ingredient. - PubMed - NCBI

1.1 Hyperpigmentation and Skin Aging (niacinamide)
Topical niacinamide reduces yellowing, wrinkling, red blotchiness, and hyperpigmented spots in aging facial skin. - PubMed - NCBI
A review of nicotinamide: treatment of skin diseases and potential side effects. - PubMed - NCBI
Niacinamide - mechanisms of action and its topical use in dermatology. - PubMed - NCBI
Niacinamide: A B vitamin that improves aging facial skin appearance. - PubMed - NCBI
The clinical anti-aging effects of topical kinetin and niacinamide in Asians: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, split-face comparativ... - PubMed - NCBI
Topical niacinamide 4% and desonide 0.05% for treatment of axillary hyperpigmentation: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. - PubMed - NCBI
Reduction in the appearance of facial hyperpigmentation after use of moisturizers with a combination of topical niacinamide and N-acetyl glucosamin... - PubMed - NCBI
Reduction in facial hyperpigmentation after treatment with a combination of topical niacinamide and tranexamic acid: a randomized, double-blind, ve... - PubMed - NCBI
A Double-Blind, Randomized Clinical Trial of Niacinamide 4% versus Hydroquinone 4% in the Treatment of Melasma. - PubMed - NCBI
The effect of 2% niacinamide on facial sebum production. - PubMed - NCBI
Moisturizing effects of topical nicotinamide on atopic dry skin. - PubMed - NCBI

1.2 UV Damage (niacinamide)
Nicotinamide-containing sunscreens for use in Australasian countries and cancer-provoking conditions. - PubMed - NCBI
Topical nicotinamide modulates cellular energy metabolism and provides broad-spectrum protection against ultraviolet radiation-induced immunosuppre... - PubMed - NCBI
Ultraviolet A radiation: its role in immunosuppression and carcinogenesis. - PubMed - NCBI
Nicotinamide enhances repair of ultraviolet radiation-induced DNA damage in primary melanocytes. - PubMed - NCBI
Nicotinamide reduces photodynamic therapy-induced immunosuppression in humans. - PubMed - NCBI
Nicotinamide enhances repair of ultraviolet radiation-induced DNA damage in human keratinocytes and ex vivo skin. - PubMed - NCBI
Nicotinamide downregulates gene expression of interleukin-6, interleukin-10, monocyte chemoattractant protein-1, and tumour necrosis factor-α gene ... - PubMed - NCBI
Oral and systemic photoprotection. - PubMed - NCBI
Photoprotective effects of nicotinamide. - PubMed - NCBI
Nicotinamide prevents ultraviolet radiation-induced cellular energy loss. - PubMed - NCBI
Oral nicotinamide protects against ultraviolet radiation-induced immunosuppression in humans. - PubMed - NCBI
UV radiation-induced immunosuppression is greater in men and prevented by topical nicotinamide. - PubMed - NCBI
[The intervention of nicotinamide on skin melanocyte's cell proliferation after UVA (365 nm) exposed.]. - PubMed - NCBI
Prevention of photoimmunosuppression and photocarcinogenesis by topical nicotinamide. - PubMed - NCBI
Effects of nicotinamide on mouse skin tumor development and its mode of action. - PubMed - NCBI
Nicotinamide and nicotinamide analogues as antitumor promoters in mouse skin. - PubMed - NCBI

2. CAFFEINE
Follicular penetration of topically applied caffeine via a shampoo formulation. - PubMed - NCBI
The role of hair follicles in the percutaneous absorption of caffeine. - PubMed - NCBI
Topical delivery of caffeine from some commercial formulations. - PubMed - NCBI

2.1 Sunscreen effects (caffeine)
Caffeine and caffeine sodium benzoate have a sunscreen effect, enhance UVB-induced apoptosis, and inhibit UVB-induced skin carcinogenesis in SKH-1 ... - PubMed - NCBI

2.2 Skin cancer (caffeine)
Topical applications of caffeine or (−)-epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) inhibit carcinogenesis and selectively increase apoptosis in UVB-induced skin tumors in mice
A novel topical targeting system of caffeine microemulsion for inhibiting UVB-induced skin tumor: characterization, optimization, and evaluation. - PubMed - NCBI
Caffeine decreases phospho-Chk1 (Ser317) and increases mitotic cells with cyclin B1 and caspase 3 in tumors from UVB-treated mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Caffeine decreases phospho-Chk1 (Ser317) and increases mitotic cells with cyclin B1 and caspase 3 in tumors from UVB treated mice
Effect of caffeine on UVB-induced carcinogenesis, apoptosis, and the elimination of UVB-induced patches of p53 mutant epidermal cells in SKH-1 mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Protection from photodamage by topical application of caffeine after ultraviolet irradiation. - PubMed - NCBI
Inhibitory effects of tea and caffeine on UV-induced carcinogenesis: relationship to enhanced apoptosis and decreased tissue fat. - PubMed - NCBI
Stimulatory effect of topical application of caffeine on UVB-induced apoptosis in mouse skin. - PubMed - NCBI

2.3 Other skin conditions (caffeine)
The effect of topically applied aspirin on localized circumscribed neurodermatitis. - PubMed - NCBI
Topical treatment of cutaneous herpes simplex virus-1 infection in mice with a specially formulated caffeine gel (Cafon). - PubMed - NCBI
Effect of caffeine and testosterone on the proliferation of human hair follicles in vitro. - PubMed - NCBI
Histopathological evaluation of caffeine-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles in efficient treatment of cellulite. - PubMed - NCBI
Role of Caffeine in the Management of Androgenetic Alopecia
Pharmacokinetics for topically applied caffeine in the rat. - PubMed - NCBI
Effectiveness of topical caffeine in cataract prevention: studies with galactose cataract. - PubMed - NCBI
Evaluation of the efficacy of topical caffeine in the treatment of psoriasis vulgaris. - PubMed - NCBI
Caffeine inhibits paresthesia induced by herpes simplex virus through action on primary sensory neurons in rats. - PubMed - NCBI

3. ASPIRIN
Combined patch containing salicylic acid and nicotinamide: role of drug interaction. - PubMed - NCBI
Design of a transdermal delivery system for aspirin as an antithrombotic drug. - PubMed - NCBI
Transdermal modification of platelet function. A dermal aspirin preparation selectively inhibits platelet cyclooxygenase and preserves prostacyclin... - PubMed - NCBI
Topically applied aspirin decreases histamine-induced wheal and flare reactions in normal and SLS-inflamed skin, but does not decrease itch. A rand... - PubMed - NCBI
Topically applied aspirin rapidly decreases histamine-induced itch. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

Dan W

That's really cool, thanks Haidut. That's particularly interesting about the sunscreen effect.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Blossom said:
:claporange Excellent!

Thanks Blossom!

I tried to make it as versatile supplement as possible. Personally, I used it instead of sunscreen and find out I do not burn much with it. When I do burn, the inflammation subsides overnight and the redness disappears. That's probably due to the 3 substances blocking inflammation.

A friend of mine is using it to control skin aging - specifically wrinkles and aging spots. Apparently, it is especially effective when used with EstroBan - SolBan in the morning due to the caffeine and EstroBan at night. She claims that she has ditched her expensive L'Oreal anti-aging creams, which cost her hundreds every month and cause allergic reactions. Not to mention that she has not seen much results.

Another friend is using it to manage his acne outbreaks. He has managed to stop taking Tretinoin by using SolBan in combination with oral vitamin A. He is about to add EstoBan to see if it will reduce outbreaks even more. I will report on that in a month when he has some data / pictures to share.

Yet another friend is using SolBan on a lypoma (benign fatty buildup in skin) since caffeine seems to be able to dissolve such buildups. It's too early to say if it works but in a week the mass has become soft and it felt like a pebble before that. So, maybe it is working but I don't know yet.

Finally, a friend has reduced her cellulite with SolBan to the point of being able to proudly wear shorts again:): I did not think her cellulite was that bad before, but she claims it did help and at least she does not feel insecure any more.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dan Wich said:
That's really cool, thanks Haidut. That's particularly interesting about the sunscreen effect.

Yeah, it also seems that the sunscreen effects is amplified when niacinamide is added to the caffeine. The effects is at the very least chemical blocking of skin damage from sunlight - i.e. block damage in the skin AFTER it absorbs UV light.
However, even more interestingly caffeine and niacinamide may be physical sunscreens as well - i.e. reflect the UV light so it reduces the amount of UV the skin gets exposed to. I don't know of a commercially sold substance that can do both and not have some dire side effects. When I find out more I will post the studies here.

dd99

That's great. Just what I've been nagging you about for ages!

Dan W

Do you have an estimate on how many sunscreen-ish applications (face/neck/arms) a person might get from the 2oz bottle?

I'm asking on behalf of other people, of course. I have dark, rugged good looks that leave me with no fear of the sun.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
haidut said:
Dan Wich said:

Yeah, it also seems that the sunscreen effects is amplified when niacinamide is added to the caffeine. The effects is at the very least chemical blocking of skin damage from sunlight - i.e. block damage in the skin AFTER it absorbs UV light.
However, even more interestingly caffeine and niacinamide may be physical sunscreens as well - i.e. reflect the UV light so it reduces the amount of UV the skin gets exposed to. I don't know of a commercially sold substance that can do both and not have some dire side effects. When I find out more I will post the studies here.

Here is some info that caffeine seems to absorb UV light and thus function as a physical sunscreen in addition to being a chemical one.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3683821/

"...Since caffeine and caffeine sodium benzoate (a related, more potent inhibitor of UVB-induced skin cancer) have appreciable UV absorption between 260 and 300 nm (with a peak at ∼273 nm), we studied the effect of topical application of these compounds prior to UVB irradiation on UVB-induced thymine dimers and sunburn lesions in the epidermis of SKH-1 mice. Topical application of caffeine or caffeine sodium benzoate 0.5 h prior to UVB irradiation inhibited UVB-induced formation of thymine dimers and inhibited UVB-induced sunburn lesions, and caffeine sodium benzoate was more effective than caffeine (Figure ​(Figure1)1) (Lu et al., 2007)."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dan Wich said:
Do you have an estimate on how many sunscreen-ish applications (face/neck/arms) a person might get from the 2oz bottle?

I'm asking on behalf of other people, of course. I have dark, rugged good looks that leave me with no fear of the sun.

It depends on the surface area treated. I use it as a sunscreen on my face and it lasts me a little more than a month. If you use it on smaller area like a single spot or a small cluster/area (i.e. acne, eczema, mole, etc) then it would likely last a while since you'd only need 1-2 sprays per day and the bottle provides several hundred sprays.
Finally, it would also be good method to administer the thyroid surrogate stack I created a thread about some time ago. Some people do not tolerate well oral administration of the caffeine / niacinamide / aspirin combo and topical administration should resolve those issues.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
dd99 said:
That's great. Just what I've been nagging you about for ages!

Sorry for the delay! It took some time to gather all the studies and try several administration methods and solutions to see which one is most effective and produces the least amount of adverse reactions on skin.
What's was that old American pun about the patience?? I think it went something like "Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can. Seldom found in women, never found in men". :):

This seems like a great combination for skin issues. I want to try this for hairloss. There's been a few studies documenting the success of topical thyroid regrowing hair so I'd like to try dissolving a few mcg of T3 into the bottle and applying it to the scalp. Is this OK to do?

Does aspirin get activated in the skin or does it have an effect as it is?

nikotrope

What about blackheads? I tried to apply aspirin on it and it has a little effect, if caffeine and niacinamide have additive effects it may remove my blackheads?

4peatssake

Dan Wich said:
Dan? :P

sunburn_cartoon.jpg

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
cantstoppeating said:
This seems like a great combination for skin issues. I want to try this for hairloss. There's been a few studies documenting the success of topical thyroid regrowing hair so I'd like to try dissolving a few mcg of T3 into the bottle and applying it to the scalp. Is this OK to do?

Yes, I listed hair loss as a possible situation where SolBan may be helpful. One of the studies listed under the caffeine section talks about topical caffeine for hair loss. The study was in vitro and use concetrations of 0.001% and 0.005% for cell cultures. Interestingly, the 0.001% stimulated hair growth more than the 0.005%. Since this was in vitro study I had to find other studies that show how much topical caffeine you need to approximate the 0.001% concentration used for the in vitro study. The consensus is that a 1% solution would do the job.
Finally, yes you can add T3 or whatever else you like to the mixture. This page claims T3 is soluble in ethanol but I don't know how well.
http://www.scbt.com/datasheet-204035-l- ... -acid.html

Give it a go and let us know! Like Peat said, experimentation is the ultimate knowledge source.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
nikotrope said:
What about blackheads? I tried to apply aspirin on it and it has a little effect, if caffeine and niacinamide have additive effects it may remove my blackheads?

The Wikipedia page on blackheads has some info that vitamin B6 or retinoids (vitamin A) may be beneficial but there is no good data on the vitamin B6 effectiveness. So, you may be better off with Energin and/or EstroBan. However, it probably won't hurt to get some some ground coffee and apply it. If it works then you have an answer and can get SolBan or make your own mix.

nikotrope

I tried aspirin and instant coffee as a shampoo a few times and noticed benefits. I will try that on my nose also. Thanks!

answersfound

Would this be good for removing freckles and other pigmentation? Or would estroban be a better option?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
lookingforanswers said:
Would this be good for removing freckles and other pigmentation? Or would estroban be a better option?

Yes, both products should be able to remove these, but SolBan should be particularly good. If you look at the studies I posted on niacinamide, there is a section for "Hyperpigmentation" showing very good effects of a 4% niacinamide solution on hyperpigmentation. For freckles, maybe you can try a combination of both - SolBan in the morning due to the caffeine and EstroBan in the evening.

HDD

I have spent most of my life in the sun and and now have sun damaged skin. A family member that works for a dermatologist told me I should use fluorouracil on my arms and face to take care of anything that could possibly be precancerous. (From RP- " [Topical fluorouracil for skin cancer] About 6% of the fluorouracil is absorbed systemically.") I don't really want to use the Fluorouracil especially since I don't have anything obvious that requires treatment.
I also have a large amount of age spots from early menopause and too much sun.

Do you think SolBan could help with either?