1. 10% Discount At RedLightMan.com For Ray Peat Forum Members!
    Click Here For More Information
    Dismiss Notice

SolBan - Custom, Liquid Dietary Supplement For Skin Health

Discussion in 'IdeaLabs' started by haidut, Feb 6, 2015.

1. patchpreset

patchpreset Member

Is there some secret to getting the ingredients to dissolve? And stay dissolved. I've tried making a solution with similar concentration, but crystals seem to precipitate out of it. Aspirin seems to be the one that really doesn't stay put.

2. churchmouth

churchmouth Member

Haidut did mention he had a special technique for the solubility.

3. Waynish

Waynish Member

Haven't tested it yet, but I'm pretty sure we've reduced it to the niacinamide. How would you fix metabolism on the skin such that reactions to niacinamide stop occurring? :) Add sugar?

4. churchmouth

churchmouth Member

Is there a decomposition of the aspirin to salicylate over time (hydrolysis)?

5. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Not to our knowledge, and we tested several batches that were 6+ months old.

6. churchmouth

churchmouth Member

The other concern I have is how do we know magnesium acetylsalicylate has the same benefits on the skin as the plain aspirin used in these studies?

7. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Because all the salicylic acid salts rapidly break down into salicylic acid and whatever the other compound is and it is salicylic acid that is the active ingredient. So, magnesium salicylate breaks down into salicylic acid and magensium and aspirin breaks down into acetic acid and salicylic acid. If anything, the magnesium salt would have even more benefit given magnesium's role in ATP synthesis. I have not seen anything showing acetic acid having benefits on the skin.

8. stressucks

stressucks Member

Does heat during shipping affect this product at all?

9. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

It should not as long as the temps are below 150 degrees F.

10. Amazoniac

Amazoniac Member

haidut, what is your deal with @Sol?

11. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Well, he refuses to shine all day and keeps changing his magnetic activity. So, at some point I had enough and this is the result :)

12. EIRE24

EIRE24 Member

@haidut Would this supplement be affective for seb derm to kill off the fungus? I have used sulfur soap with some good results but the fungus continues to grow back.

13. Warrior_

Warrior_ Member

Works fine as a sunscreen, and reduces redness / inflammation from too much / strong sun exposure in very short time. I also use it as a sunscreen on my face without any problems.

Also it works for small injuries (trauma) / inflammation on joints and muscles, as it speeds up metabolism and so the recovery process.

14. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Niacinamide and aspirin have proven anti-fungal properties so I don't see why not. Have you tried rubbing some coconut oil or MCT on your scalp? That also has antifungal effects.

15. Ras

Ras Member

Have you tried sodium salicylate?

16. churchmouth

churchmouth Member

I am having trouble understanding why aspirin or the salts have benefit on the skin? Or is the only benefit here in the time release of aspirin into the blood stream. Can our skin cells metabolise aspirin in salicylic acid and use it locally to a certain degree (or can the cells benefit from the aspirin molecule as it is?)? How do we know the molecule with the magnesium variant can be metabolised as easily by the skin cells. The magnesium seems great for solubility and not undergoing hydrolysis in solution. I don't think regular aspirin in ethanol/water would last, but would degrade into salicylic acid

There seems a lot of anecdotal evidence that aspirin on the skin is good for acne.

17. patchpreset

patchpreset Member

I figured out the trick. It dissolves pretty readily in warm alcohol. Then you can easily dilute further with water.

18. OP
    haidut

haidut Member

Did you look at the studies in the original thread? The studies with aspirin explain how it helps the skin. Usually opposing PUFA oxidation, improving glucose metabolism and reducing inflammation, histamine, serotonin and NO are among the top reasons given.