Solanine Destroyed At 243 Degrees Celcius?

postman

According to some websites solanine starts to break down at 243 degrees celcius. The source of this claim is "Toxicological Survey of African Medicinal Plants" a book that has the El Sevier name on the front so it should be legit. The source in that book is another book written by a university professor in Texas named Delena Tull, and her book "Edible and Useful Plants of Texas and the Southwest: A Practical Guide". I don't have that book (and I couldn't find a free copy online) so I have not read about how she found this out.

I'm wondering if someone who is sensitive to solanine would like to test this claim? I don't have an oven where I live currently, otherwise I would do it. I'm talking about baking potatoes at something like 250 degrees celcius, or maybe even higher. A food thermometer would be needed, to make sure that the internal temperature of the potato reached above 243 degrees celcius, and it should probably be cooked at that temperature for 30-60 minutes. It would probably be easier if the potatoes were cut up in slices rather than cooked whole. It would probably burn easily.

OP
postman

postman

Ok I found the book in question and I didnt see anything in it about solanine breakdown temperature. Strange. Maybe it's a misprint or maybe I can't read. However I did find another book that makes the 243 C claim "Roots, Tubers, Plantains and Bananas in Human Nutrition". It state, on page 101:
Potato
Potato contains the glycoalkaloids alpha-solanine and alpha-chaconine (Maga, 1980), concentrated mainly in the flowers and sprouts (200 to 500 mg/100g). In healhty potato tubers the concentration of the glycoalkaloids is usually less than 10mg/100g and this can normally be reduced by peeling (Wood and Young, 1974; Bushway et al., 1983). In bitter varieties the alkaloid concentration can go up to 80 mg/100 g in the tuber as a whole and up to 150-220mg/100 g in the peel. The presence of these glycoalkaloids is not perceptible to the taste buds until they reach a concentration of 20 mg/100 g when they taste bitter. At higher concentrations they cause a burning and persistent irritation similar to a hot pepper. At these concentrations solanine and aother glycoalkaloids are toxic. They are not destroyed during normal cooking because the decomposition temperature of solanine is about 243°C. ...

What if we make 250°C our normal cooking temperature? Are there any obstacles to this? I don't have much experience with high temperature cooking. I guess it would be easy to burn and quick to lose its moisture? 250°C is about 482°F by the way.

OP
postman

postman

I read a comment online saying that if you cook all the moisture out of a potato only 20% of the mass will be left. Maybe this was all a retarded idea lol.

michael94

I read a comment online saying that if you cook all the moisture out of a potato only 20% of the mass will be left. Maybe this was all a retarded idea lol.

You might have to use a microwave or something to achieve this -

I make coconut oil French fries in the microwave sometimes and I’m wondering now if they reached 250 C

Because the way the cook is like from the inside out and they get really dehydrated but it’s very easy to over cook them also

Always assumed solanine was destroyed with common cooking methods

OP
postman

postman

You might have to use a microwave or something to achieve this -

I make coconut oil French fries in the microwave sometimes and I’m wondering now if they reached 250 C

Because the way the cook is like from the inside out and they get really dehydrated but it’s very easy to over cook them also

Always assumed solanine was destroyed with common cooking methods
Out of the common cooking methods only frying seems to be really effective. I don't know why though. From what I've read microwaving potatoes reduces the solanine content by about 15% so at least it's better than boiling. But maybe you can increase percentage more than that with more radation/heat. If you have a food thermometer please test your potatoes and see the internal temperature.

I read a comment in which someone claimed that potatoes wont go above 210 F or 100 C until all the moisture has been "boiled" out of it. Makes sense I guess, but I don't know ***t about cooking really, or chemistry/physics for that matter.

michael94

Out of the common cooking methods only frying seems to be really effective. I don't know why though. From what I've read microwaving potatoes reduces the solanine content by about 15% so at least it's better than boiling. But maybe you can increase percentage more than that with more radation/heat. If you have a food thermometer please test your potatoes and see the internal temperature.

I read a comment in which someone claimed that potatoes wont go above 210 F or 100 C until all the moisture has been "boiled" out of it. Makes sense I guess, but I don't know ***t about cooking really, or chemistry/physics for that matter.

Intressing

Potato quality matters a lot then

rei

You will have a burned crisp if you are going to reach 243 c. It does not matter if you have the oven at 500 degrees, the potato won't be at that temperature before it burns.