Sodium Butyrate leads to weight loss and less inflammation/endotoxin

Perry Staltic

Anyhow I agree with your logic about having a healthy gut and needing butyrate. But not specificaly eating fermentable fibers to increase it.
I hope you are not trying to justify eating resistant starch bc that is unnecessary.
Butyrate or other SCFA are made from protein, carbs and fibers in the colon, it is very hard to avoid those from forming.
Wheatbran and oatbran are also supportive for SCFA and wheat bran decrease transit time.

edit oops correction

I'm not trying to justify it because it doesn't even occur to me that it's unhealthy. Tempered with knowledge, I eat what's convenient and what my body tells me to eat. If my body and mind don't complain, I eat it.

Grapelander

article: Butyrate
  • acts as a histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitor
  • activates a group of proteins called “G-protein-coupled receptors” (GPCRs)
  • serves as a source of energy for your cells (especially your colon cells)

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Butyrate supplementation does increase butyrate producing bacteria in mice . So I hope after some time this will become a self sustaining process...

" In the current study, we demonstrated a significant increase in the proportion of Firmicutes and a decrease in the proportion of Bacteroidetes in the HFD-fed mice, which were in accordance with the results of previous studies (14, 44). Intriguingly, sodium butyrate administration led to a dramatic shift in the ratio of the two phyla by increasing the proportion of Bacteroidetes and decreasing the proportion of Firmicutes. Sodium butyrate administration also reduced the abundance of LPS-producing Proteobacteria, which have been proposed to promote chronic inflammatory diseases (45) and increase the levels of Coprococcus and Bifidobacteriaceae. Lower abundances of Coprococcus and Bifidobacteriaceae have been found in many inflammatory diseases (46, 47), and Bifidobacteriaceae have been used as probiotics to treat such diseases (48)."

"The main butyrate producing-bacteria in the human gut belong to the phylum Firmicutes, in particular Faecalibacterium prausnitzii and Clostridium leptum of the family Ruminococcaceae, and Eubacterium rectale and Roseburia spp. of the family Lachnospiraceae (33, 34). "

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Resistant starch supplementation to increase butyrate, doesn't work for everybody. It depends on the existing microbiome.

I had no luck increasing butyric acid taking sodium butyrate(did nothing at all for me actually), but using Apple Pectin before meals once a day did the trick to increase it. I've tried every resistant starch under the sun and green finger banana starch was what i found i tolerated best, and inulin and potato starch joint worst(felt like i was dying for the first couple of weeks and the gas was unreal)

Perry Staltic

Resistant starch supplementation to increase butyrate, doesn't work for everybody. It depends on the existing microbiome.

That's why we have to listen to our bodies. Everyone's gut microbiome is unique and will impact what we can and cannot eat; at least temporarily in the latter case because the gut microbiome is adaptable.

PeskyPeater

I'm not trying to justify it because it doesn't even occur to me that it's unhealthy. Tempered with knowledge, I eat what's convenient and what my body tells me to eat. If my body and mind don't complain, I eat it.
okay. Fair enough.
I'm practically the opposite, I try to think everything through before eating a meal. Don't have to invite me to a random restaurant lol I'm a pesky little Peatarian.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Based on what I've read so far , I thought peat was rather opposed to butyrate.
I found some interesting quotes from him on butyrate (from "Progesterone in orthomolecular medicine" and old newsletters)

"Butyric acid is known to facilitate the entry of T3 into the mitochondrion."

"GABA-related metabolites, such as
CHB, butyric acid, succinic acid, and the
butyrobetaines, have multiple protective
functions, including promotion of
respiration and pregnenolone synthesis,
regulating gene expression, and reducing
damage from glucocorticoids."

"Coconut oil serves several purposes. Its butyric acid is known to
increase T3 uptake by glial cells."

"Succinic acid and butyric
acid seem to be involved in both the
energy sparing and the energy
producing processes."

"The saturated latty acids. especIally Ihe highly soluble smaller molecules found in coconut oil, probably tend to simply dilute and weak6fl the inhibition that IS chronically exerted by the potyunsaturated fatty acids, but butyric acid seems to have some specific effects, such as facilitating the uptake of T3 by nerve cells and shifting cells away Irom the expression the stress-related proteins."

Screenshot_20220821-222456_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

He also cites this review in one if his newsletters. I intrested it like this: while butyarye has many anti-cancer studies ,I'd be careful when there is or you suspect already existing cancer in the gut.

"...while butyrate appears to be antineoplas-
tic in vitro. Evidence suggests that if dietary fibers stimulate cell proliferation during the stage of initiation, then this may lead to tumor enhancement".

Although this newer review reaches a different conclusion:

"Nonetheless, there appears to be some evidence that delivery of an adequate amount of butyrate to the appropriate site protects against early tumorigenic events."

Here's another one on butyrate and cancer:
"These results suggest a causal relationship between Porphyromonas species overgrowth and colorectal tumourigenesis which may be due to butyrate-induced senescence."

Last edited:

Rasaari

Inflammation destroys the ability of colonocytes to use butyrate. Increasing the concentration of butyrate up to 8 times didn't fix the issue, suggesting that increasing butyrate isn't the solution.

RESULTS Butyrate oxidation (μmol/h per mg protein; mean (SEM)) was significantly reduced in DSS colitis, values on day 7 of DSS administration being 0.177 (0.007) compared with 0.406 (0.035) for control animals (p<0.001). Glucose oxidation (μmol/h per mg protein; mean (SEM)) on day 7 of DSS administration was significantly higher than in controls (0.06 (0.006) v 0.027 (0.004), p<0.001). Production of β-hydroxybutyrate was decreased and production of lactate increased in DSS colitis compared with controls. Increasing butyrate concentration from 10 to 80 mM enhanced oxidation in DSS colitis (0.036 (0.002) to 0.285 (0.040), p<0.001), although it continued to remain lower than in controls. Surface and crypt epithelial cells showed similar ratios of butyrate to glucose oxidation. When 1 mM DSS was added to normal colonocytes in vitro, it did not alter butyrate oxidation. The initial histological lesion of DSS administration was very patchy and involved crypt cells. Abnormal butyrate oxidation became apparent only after six days of DSS administration, at which time histological abnormalities were more widespread.

Rasaari

Inability to beta-oxidize butyrate leads to dysbiosis and to lower butyrate production.

"During homeostasis, colonocyte metabolism is directed towards oxidative phosphorylation, resulting in high epithelial oxygen consumption. The consequent epithelial hypoxia helps maintain a microbial community dominated by obligate anaerobic bacteria, which provide benefit by converting fiber into fermentation products absorbed by the host. Conditions that alter the metabolism of the colonic epithelium increase epithelial oxygenation, thereby driving an expansion of facultative anaerobic bacteria, a hallmark of dysbiosis in the colon. Enteric pathogens subvert colonocyte metabolism to escape niche protection conferred by the gut microbiota. The reverse strategy, a metabolic reprogramming to restore colonocyte hypoxia, represents a promising new therapeutic approach for rebalancing the colonic microbiota in a broad spectrum of human diseases."

1661136000106.png

DrJ

Butyrate supplementation does increase butyrate producing bacteria in mice . So I hope after some time this will become a self sustaining process...

" In the current study, we demonstrated a significant increase in the proportion of Firmicutes and a decrease in the proportion of Bacteroidetes in the HFD-fed mice, which were in accordance with the results of previous studies (14, 44). Intriguingly, sodium butyrate administration led to a dramatic shift in the ratio of the two phyla by increasing the proportion of Bacteroidetes and decreasing the proportion of Firmicutes. Sodium butyrate administration also reduced the abundance of LPS-producing Proteobacteria, which have been proposed to promote chronic inflammatory diseases (45) and increase the levels of Coprococcus and Bifidobacteriaceae. Lower abundances of Coprococcus and Bifidobacteriaceae have been found in many inflammatory diseases (46, 47), and Bifidobacteriaceae have been used as probiotics to treat such diseases (48)."

"The main butyrate producing-bacteria in the human gut belong to the phylum Firmicutes, in particular Faecalibacterium prausnitzii and Clostridium leptum of the family Ruminococcaceae, and Eubacterium rectale and Roseburia spp. of the family Lachnospiraceae (33, 34). "

Thanks I've been looking for something like this

miquelangeles

In line with our previous study that found similar faecal bacterial strains to be altered upon oral butyrate treatment in humans [30], we observed that several species of Lachnospiraceae, a family containing many important butyrate-producing genera, were more abundant after butyrate use (L. pectinoschiza, D. formicigenerans), while Lachnospiraceae Blautia, Lachnospiraceae Marvinbryantia, Lachnospiraceae NK4A136 group and Faecalibacterium prausnitzii were less abundant. However, it should be noted that the small intestinal microbiota may be more important in type 1 diabetes pathogenesis than the faecal microbiota [44]. Thus, it is conceivable that oral butyrate supplementation downregulates the intestinal abundance of butyrate producers, or downregulates microbial gene expression involved in the production of butyrate, as butyrate is a waste product of these microbes. This corresponds to our finding of lower faecal total SCFA and butyrate levels upon oral butyrate supplementation. It is therefore possible that oral butyrate supplementation is counterproductive, whereas supplementation of dietary fibres would increase the abundance of intestinal butyrate-producing species and associated benefits.

@Mauritio tributyrin seems to have good reviews as well, in sibo/candida/ibs forums.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

@Mauritio tributyrin seems to have good reviews as well, in sibo/candida/ibs forums.
Interesting, thanks for sharing.

But:

... "we observed that several species of Lachnospiraceae, a family containing many important butyrate-producing genera, were more abundant after butyrate use..."

"... that oral butyrate supplementation downregulates the intestinal abundance of butyrate producers... "

What kind of conclusion is that ?

Last edited:

miquelangeles

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

But:

... "we observed that several species of Lachnospiraceae, a family containing many important butyrate-producing genera, were more abundant after butyrate use..."

"... that oral butyrate supplementation downregulates the intestinal abundance of butyrate producers... "

What kind of conclusion is that ?
I don't know :): but worth noting that they used 4 grams of sodium butyrate per day - and most butyrate supplements are in the range of 300-500mg /dose, except for butycaps which is 900mg.

Vinny

Inflammation destroys the ability of colonocytes to use butyrate. Increasing the concentration of butyrate up to 8 times didn't fix the issue, suggesting that increasing butyrate isn't the solution.
10x

Osukhan

I really enjoyed reading the Immunity Code - by Joel Greene
he talks alot about bifidobacteria and akkermansia and the way they work together
he also recommends resistant starch, like a cold baked potatoe, to feed the microbiome to produce butyrate and apple pectin to help feed akkermansia
He recently also recommended C3Galactoside found in Chokeberries/aronia, im looking forward to giving it a try

Perry Staltic

he also recommends resistant starch, like a cold baked potatoe, to feed the microbiome to produce butyrate and apple pectin to help feed akkermansia

huh, never heard of it. I eat an apple a day