Sodium Butyrate leads to weight loss and less inflammation/endotoxin

PeskyPeater

Why is everyone talking about potatoes for butyrate production? Wouldn't pasta be easier for this? Also more delicious. Or less butyrate from pasta?
out of the question if you ask me. one does not simply take resistant starch to just get butyrate, you get all the side effects and increase in endotoxin load with it of course.

PeskyPeater

I get the same metabolic boost from inulin, which ferments into butyrate and acetate.
I found myself opening the windows last winter in sub zero temperatures. I rarely supplement it though, because it has been linked to liver cancer in animal studies.
Inulin seems to be one the best ways to increase butyrate cheap and effective

PeskyPeater

About a year ago I wanted to try it (a sodium butyrate supplement called Butifar) but then I read a local review that said “My husband and I took a few capsules of Butifar (butyric acid, sodium butyrate) 4 months ago. We got both very constipated and still haven't recovered. What should we do to recover?” and that discouraged me from trying it.
Dr Peat has indicated not to use serotonergic laxatives or drawing in more water.
If these persons were having bad low thyroid function and were relying on serotonin for motility, taking that away with butyrate shall then result in constipation.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Sodium butyrate seems to have a testosterone boosting effect + good for sperm health:

"The results showed that SB improved the semen volume and sperm motility at 30 and 35 weeks of age (P < 0.05), increased the sperm concentration and decreased the abnormal sperm percentage during the whole experimental period (P < 0.05). These improvements were accompanied by increased testosterone levels at 30 and 35 weeks of age (P < 0.05)."

PeskyPeater

Oat bran but not a beta-glucan-enriched oat fraction enhances butyrate production in the large intestine of pigs​

Abstract​

Digestibility of polysaccharides and other macronutrients and the metabolic response of the microflora in the large intestine to a low dietary fiber wheat flour diet and three enriched diets with equal amounts of added dietary fiber (oat bran, a beta-glucan-enriched oat fraction and insoluble oat residues) were studied in ileal-cannulated pigs. The digestibility of starch was high in the small intestine (98-100%). At this site of the gastrointestinal tract there was also a significant degradation of mixed linked beta (1 --> 3; 1 --> 4)-D-glucan (beta-glucan) (45-54%), whereas arabinoxylan was quantitatively recovered in ileal effluent. Type and amount of polysaccharides passing the ileal-cecal junction had little effect of the density of microorganism in the large intestine (approximately 10(10) viable counts/g digesta) but did have a high impact on the activity of the flora in colon as measured by the concentration of ATP in digesta. The relative proportion of butyrate in the short-chain fatty acids in the luminal contents of the large intestine was 6.6-8.4% when the low dietary fiber wheat flour diet was fed. However, when either oat bran or insoluble residues were included in the diet, the level was raised to 9.3-11.2%. No effect was seen after the addition of the beta-glucan-enriched fraction. This study showed that arabinoxylan and not beta-glucan in the cell walls of oat bran was responsible for the enhanced butyrate production of oat bran.

Oat bran but not a beta-glucan-enriched oat fraction enhances butyrate production in the large intestine of pigs - PubMed

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Sodium butyrate decreases ammonia and glutamate.

"The results showed that sodium butyrate supplement decreased the production of ammonia by 26.22% as compared with the non-sodium butyrate supplementation (CK) group."

"Our results indicate that sodium butyrate can affect glutamate metabolism through regulating the expression of glutamate dehydrogenase in cecal microorganisms, thereby reducing ammonia production."

PeskyPeater

Inulin seems to be one the best ways to increase butyrate cheap and effective
This got me looking up some more studies.
unfortunately inulin is highly fermentable and the most gas forming, increases lactobacillus, increasing lactic acid .

ORIGINAL RESEARCH article​

Front. Nutr., 02 July 2021
Sec. Nutrition and Microbes
Comparative Effect of 22 Dietary Sources of Fiber on Gut Microbiota of Healthy Humans in vitro

Within the entire group of test products, there was a high intragroup variability. F2 (inulin) is distant from other groups and control condition, indicating it is strongly fermentable, inducing significant lactate accumulation, BCFA inhibition, propionate production, and stimulatory potential on bifidobacteria and lactobacilli. F1 (kiwi fiber), F4 (konjac flour), and F5 (apple fiber) clustered more centrally within these extremes.
The highest gas production and pH decrease were observed for F2 (inulin), while the lowest effect on pH and gas production was observed for S2 (hemp, −0.16 ± 0.01) and C2 (rice fiber, 31.4 ± 3.9 kPa), respectively.

Bamboo F3 and rice fiber are more resistant to bacterial degradation, outperforming oats that is similar to whole grains like wheat.

The products with the lowest fermentability were rice fiber, bamboo fiber, and algal beta glucan isolate.
1661020286706.png

PeskyPeater

Regarding butyrate, it was a trend to increase levels by the supplementation of fibers (5.8 ± 3.7 mM) compared to control (3.1 ± 2.1 mM); however, the changes were not always significant due to a high interindividual variability on butyrate production at basal levels. In fact, the microbiota from one of the donors included in the study had low butyrogenic potential, with levels of butyrate of 1.9 ± 0.8 mM (average for all the treatments), compared with the other donors (5.9–8.8 mM) (Supplementary Table 6). When excluding this donor from the analysis, the group of whole grains induced an increase in butyrate (6.4 ± 1.1 mM) vs. the control condition (2.6 ± 0.7 mM), and concretely WG1 (whole grain millet, 6.6 ± 0.9 mM, p = 0.04), WG2 (whole grain oat, 7.3 ± 1 mM, p = 0.03), and WG3 (medium grain whole brown rice, 6.8 ± 0.1 mM, p = 0.04) showed a significant butyrogenic potential. Within the non-whole grain cereal group, C1 (oat beta glucan, 8.1 ± 0.6 mM, p = 0.014) also induced butyrate production, while the other groups or individual products did not significantly affect butyrate levels. Branched fatty acids were not significantly affected by the different fibers or groups of fibers, with the only exception of F2 (inulin) that reduced the BCFA levels (0.2 ± 0.2 mM) compared to the control (1.9 ± 0.2 mM).
1661022143739.png

FIGURE 4. Effect of dietary fibers on microbial activity. Bars represent the net values of pH (A), gas pressure (B), lactate (C), acetate (D), propionate (E), butyrate (F), branched-chain fatty acids (G), and total short-chain fatty acids (H), normalized vs. control levels (average ± SD n = 3 donors; three technical replicates for each donor) after exposure in vitro of fecal samples from three healthy individuals to dietary fibers. Stacked bars indicate the metabolite production at different time points. Heat map of Pearson's correlation between different metabolic markers and treatments (I). PCA of metabolic markers (J). WG1, whole grain millet; WG2, whole grain oat; WG3, medium grain whole brown rice; WG4, whole grain soft white wheat; WG5, whole grain barley; WG6, whole grain corn; WG7, waxy whole grain soft white wheat; WG8, waxy hulless barley; C1, oat beta glucan; C2, rice fiber; S1, whole brown flaxseed; S2, hemp seeds; S3, psyllium fiber; P1, whole brown lentils; P2, soy fiber; P3, pea fiber; F1, kiwi fiber; F2, inulin; F3, bamboo fiber; F4, konjac flour; F5, apple fiber; F6, algal beta glucan isolate.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Another study showing weight loss , uncoupling and adiponectin increase.

I'm.No.One

I just wanted to say, +1 for this whole thread. I've been thoroughly appreciating it.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I just wanted to say, +1 for this whole thread. I've been thoroughly appreciating it.
You're welcome.
There's a huge amount of interesting studies on the metabolic effects of (sodium) butyrate!

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Here's a great study looking at the endotoxin ,TLR4 and inflammation levels after butyrate supplementation in animals.

Some people messaged me beeing confused about these values because there could be an increase of xyz in some in vitro study using irrelevant dosages .

Now this study clearly shows butyrate-supplementation:

- Decreases Endotoxin
- Decreases endotoxin-producing bacteria
- Decreases inflammation through lowering inflammatory cytokines and modulating the gut microbiome in a beneficial way
- Decreases TLR4 in adipose tissue and liver
- Increases SCFA producing bacteria

TLR4 levels in the liver actually were a lot lower than in the high-fat-mice and even lower than in the control group!
If there's one thing that's damaging to the liver it's endotoxin/TLR4, so this is very good.
Screenshot_20220821-125805_Chrome.jpg

Or in text form:

"Gut microbial analysis exhibited that butyrate intervention increased short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs)-producing bacteria and decreased pathogenic bacteria, such as endotoxin-secreting bacteria. Our result also demonstrated that butyrate intervention enhanced fecal SCFAs concentrations, and inhibited endotoxin levels in feces and serum. Correlation analysis indicated positive relation between endotoxin level and Desulfovibrionaceae abundance. Furthermore, butyrate intervention inhibited expressions of IL-1β, IL-6 and MCP1/CCL2 in liver, as well as TLR4 in adipose tissue. Apart from inhibiting expressions of proinflammatory cytokines, butyrate exerted anti-inflammation effect through selectively modulating gut microbiota, such as increasing SCFAs-producing bacteria and decreasing endotoxin-secreting bacteria, as well as via regulating levels of microbiota-dependent metabolites and components, such as SCFAs and endotoxin."

"Furthermore, Schachter et al. (2018) showed that endotoxin secreted by gut microbiota might trigger chronic inflammation in obese individuals. When gut barrier integrity decreased by high-fat diet, endotoxin could transport into circulation via transcellular pathway (Schachter et al. 2017), and it further combined with TLR4 on the surface of immune cells, through MyD88 and TRIF pathway signal transmission, stimulated the expression of a variety of inflammatory factors (Xiao et al. 2014), which was consistent with our results. Taken together, our results suggested that butyrate intervention might suppress inflammation through decreasing endotoxin level."

Last edited:

Perry Staltic

out of the question if you ask me. one does not simply take resistant starch to just get butyrate, you get all the side effects and increase in endotoxin load with it of course.

One does not have a healthy gut without butyrate, and fermentation of resistant starch and fiber are the primary sources of butyrate. If you have a healthy gut you don't have to worry about unhealthy crap getting absorbed into the blood where it does it's havoc. It gets excreted out of the body without doing harm. If you have a leaky gut, then you have to worry

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

One does not have a healthy gut without butyrate, and fermentation of resistant starch and fiber are the primary sources of butyrate. If you have a healthy gut you don't have to worry about unhealthy crap getting absorbed into the blood where it does it's havoc. It gets excreted out of the body without doing harm. If you have a leaky gut, then you have to worry
I agree.
I have read that colonocytes get up to 90% of their energy from butyrate
I read it was 70%,but seems about right. The good thing is the oxidation of butyrate increases CO2 levels in the gut, which has its own benefits for leaky gut etc.

View: https://twitter.com/Metabolicmonstr/status/1544424280695390208?t=-gAccgRXkESRiFIup3Qhlw&s=19

Perry Staltic

I read it was 70%,but seems about right. The good thing is the oxidation of butyrate increases CO2 levels in the gut, which has its own benefits for leaky gut etc.

70% may be typical or normal, but up to 90% if conditions are optimal, I guess. I wonder if it's a matter of preference, ie, is butyrate colonocytes preferred fuel? I had no idea that CO2 decreases gut permeability. Amazingly complex things going on down there. But it says LPS increases gut permeability. Is that true, or does it take advantage of same?

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

70% may be typical or normal, but up to 90% if conditions are optimal, I guess. I wonder if it's a matter of preference, ie, is butyrate colonocytes preferred fuel?
It sounds like they evolutionarily adapted to the use of butyrate:
"Several in vitro studies have shown that intestinal epithelial cells, especially colonocytes, have adapted to the use of butyrate as their primary source of energy, accounting for ∼70% of ATP produced (109, 110). Through FA oxidation, colonic cells exhibit a great capacity to rapidly oxidize butyrate into carbon dioxide (111). "
But it says LPS increases gut permeability. Is that true, or does it take advantage of same?
I was under the impression it does both. There's certainly are correlation, but not sure of the causality here.

PeskyPeater

Anyhow I agree with your logic about having a healthy gut and needing butyrate. But not specificaly eating fermentable fibers to increase it.
I hope you are not trying to justify eating resistant starch bc that is unnecessary.
Butyrate or other SCFA are made from protein, carbs and fibers in the colon, it is very hard to avoid those from forming.
Wheatbran and oatbran are also supportive for SCFA and wheat bran decrease transit time.

edit oops correction

Last edited:
OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Update:
Still notice bigger muscles (a lot) , increased metabolism , better brain function, less procrastination.
Sleep might be slightly worse and I have more dark circles under my eyes since taking it.
I skipped one day and noticed muscles deflated significantly.

What I'd be interested in is the effect of butyrate supplementation on butyrate producing bacteria in humans or if there's any correlation. It has systemic effects but if it even gets into the colon , I dont know.

PeskyPeater

Anyhow I agree with your logic about having a healthy gut and needing butyrate. But not specificaly eating fermentable fibers to increase it.
I hope you are not trying to justify eating resistant starch bc that is unnecessary.
Butyrate or other SCFA are made from protein, carbs and fibers in the colon, it is very hard to avoid those from forming.
Wheatbran and oatbran are also supportive for SCFA and wheat bran decrease transit time.

edit oops correction
"A second possible protective mechanism for WB [wheat bran] is that if it were incompletely fermented, the unfermented WB-derived residue would increase colonic lumenal contents and increase rate of transit of material through the colon, thereby reducing the exposure of the mucosa to carcinogens (Bugaut and Bentejac 1993, Klurfeld 1997). The slow and incomplete fermentation of WB, but not of oat bran (OB) (Chen et al. 1998, Nyman et al. 1986, Stephen and Cummings 1980), supports the role for WB of diluting carcinogenic agents in the intestinal lumen. Lupton (1995) proposed after a careful comparison of results from in vitro and in vivo studies that WB is protective against colon cancer because it is incompletely fermented and not because fermentation of WB yields a higher proportion of butyrate. " thread link