Sodium Bicarbonate Improves Oxygen Consumption, Glucose Uptake, And Mitochondrial Respiration

zarrin77

Sodium bicarbonate increases glucose uptake and mitochondrial biogenesis in C2C12 myotubes potentially via the transcriptional co-activator PGC-1α - The Physiological Society

Bicarbonate is one of the most effective sports supplements for athletes out right now, and works better than beta-leaning for pH regulation and performance.

Soluble adenylyl cyclase (sAC) is a *cytoplasmic* enzyme that is activated by bicarbonate to increase cAMP production. This is a novel way to stimulate cAMP outside of the froskolin-induced mechanism affecting the “transmembrane” AC. (BTW, caffeine is a PDE inhibitor, which stops the breakdown of cAMP, possible synergism?)

Anyway....

“NaHCO3 (sodium bicarbonate) treatment increased the expression of PGC-1α (302%), GLUT4 (266%) and cytochrome-c (291%) whilst increasing the protein content of GLUT4 (37%), MCT1 and the respiratory chain subunits COX-2 (63%) and COX-4 (42%). Both basal and insulin stimulated glucose uptake were increased following NaHCO3 treatment (68% and 73% respectively) as was basal cell oxygen consumption (10%). Finally NaHCO3 increased the abundance of membrane bound GLUT4 (68%) and MCT1 (73%). Taken together, these findings suggest that NaHCO3 induced chronic alkalosis promotes up-regulation of PGC-1α and its downstream targets COX-2, COX-4, Cytochrome-c and MCT1. Further, NaHCO3 also increases basal and insulin stimulated glucose uptake via increased GLUT4 expression, content and membrane localisation.(sic)”

This study helps show the molecular mechanism by which bicarbonate helps not only improve performance, but also muscle adaptations from exercise.

This is specific to bicarbonate (or CO2) most likely, as sAC is activated specifically by bicarbonate, not pH.

More references:
- pH sensing via bicarbonate-regulated “soluble” adenylyl cyclase (sAC)
- Role of the bicarbonate-responsive soluble adenylyl cyclase in pH sensing and metabolic regulation
- Sodium bicarbonate ingestion augments the increase in PGC-1α mRNA expression during recovery from intense interval exercise in human skeletal muscle
- The PGC-1α-related Coactivator Promotes Mitochondrial and Myogenic Adaptations in C2C12 Myotubes - PubMed

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter
Sadly, combining caffeine with SB doesn't have additive benefits.

Vinny

Sodium bicarbonate increases glucose uptake and mitochondrial biogenesis in C2C12 myotubes potentially via the transcriptional co-activator PGC-1α - The Physiological Society

Bicarbonate is one of the most effective sports supplements for athletes out right now, and works better than beta-leaning for pH regulation and performance.

Soluble adenylyl cyclase (sAC) is a *cytoplasmic* enzyme that is activated by bicarbonate to increase cAMP production. This is a novel way to stimulate cAMP outside of the froskolin-induced mechanism affecting the “transmembrane” AC. (BTW, caffeine is a PDE inhibitor, which stops the breakdown of cAMP, possible synergism?)

Anyway....

“NaHCO3 (sodium bicarbonate) treatment increased the expression of PGC-1α (302%), GLUT4 (266%) and cytochrome-c (291%) whilst increasing the protein content of GLUT4 (37%), MCT1 and the respiratory chain subunits COX-2 (63%) and COX-4 (42%). Both basal and insulin stimulated glucose uptake were increased following NaHCO3 treatment (68% and 73% respectively) as was basal cell oxygen consumption (10%). Finally NaHCO3 increased the abundance of membrane bound GLUT4 (68%) and MCT1 (73%). Taken together, these findings suggest that NaHCO3 induced chronic alkalosis promotes up-regulation of PGC-1α and its downstream targets COX-2, COX-4, Cytochrome-c and MCT1. Further, NaHCO3 also increases basal and insulin stimulated glucose uptake via increased GLUT4 expression, content and membrane localisation.(sic)”

This study helps show the molecular mechanism by which bicarbonate helps not only improve performance, but also muscle adaptations from exercise.

This is specific to bicarbonate (or CO2) most likely, as sAC is activated specifically by bicarbonate, not pH.

More references:
- pH sensing via bicarbonate-regulated “soluble” adenylyl cyclase (sAC)
- Role of the bicarbonate-responsive soluble adenylyl cyclase in pH sensing and metabolic regulation
- Sodium bicarbonate ingestion augments the increase in PGC-1α mRNA expression during recovery from intense interval exercise in human skeletal muscle
- The PGC-1α-related Coactivator Promotes Mitochondrial and Myogenic Adaptations in C2C12 Myotubes - PubMed
So, how much SB we take, to get these benefits?

Astolfo

I tried sodium bicarbonate. Half a teaspoon was the recommended dosage for creating sodium acetate. It didn’t have an effect on me. I think it’s not as easy as it looks on studies.

Vinny

I tried sodium bicarbonate. Half a teaspoon was the recommended dosage for creating sodium acetate. It didn’t have an effect on me. I think it’s not as easy as it looks on studies.
Yes, I completely agree, that in studies things might look pretty awesome, but reality is a different story.
I,d like to try it regardless... Are you sure about the dosage? I read somewhere, that they take something like 20 grams, but I could be wrong...

Opioidus

Bicarbonate whther is sodium or potassium form gives me severe stomach issues. But yeah it's the best energy supplement in the world.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

So, how much SB we take, to get these benefits?

If you are going to take the dosage used on athletes, which gets very beneficial effects, that’s at least 20 g 0.5-1.0 hour before exercise. Some studies used almost 30 g.

This dose will surely give you diarrhea if you aren’t used to it or don’t drink enough water with it.

One or two studies have hinted that chronic dosing would be just as effective as acute right before training.
Still would need to get up to that dose, just more spread out away from food. Some of it can be postassium bicarb too.

Vinny

If you are going to take the dosage used on athletes, which gets very beneficial effects, that’s at least 20 g 0.5-1.0 hour before exercise. Some studies used almost 30 g.

This dose will surely give you diarrhea if you aren’t used to it or don’t drink enough water with it.

One or two studies have hinted that chronic dosing would be just as effective as acute right before training.
Still would need to get up to that dose, just more spread out away from food. Some of it can be postassium bicarb too.
Thank you!

Waynish

Bicarbonate whther is sodium or potassium form gives me severe stomach issues. But yeah it's the best energy supplement in the world.

We need some better tested protocols for raising stomach acid when using it - and other pH imbalances throughout the digestive tract from using a lot of it.

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajplegacy.1943.139.3.356?journalCode=ajplegacy

B04B2E3F-B8D5-4675-8260-228D5F5F10C8.jpeg

If I remember correctly, there was a more recent study that confirmed this as well.

In any case, as long as you have baking soda at least 30 min before the meal, you should be fine as far as stomach acid goes.

Opioidus

It lowers the stomach acid which creates a rebound effect which in turn results in severe GERD and heartburn. Method and time of consumption makes no difference, empty stomach, sipped slowly, dissolving in cold water..

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

It lowers the stomach acid which creates a rebound effect which in turn results in severe GERD and heartburn. Method and time of consumption makes no difference, empty stomach, sipped slowly, dissolving in cold water..

I, and many people I have suggested baking soda to, do not get acid reflux from it. (I do get acid reflux from bananas for some reason lol)

If you happen to get acid reflux from it, then don’t use it. If you don’t, then you’re fine.

By the way, stomach acid is a signal for the lower esophageal sphincter to stay slightly closed. This is why people with low stomach acid can have acid reflux, and why Betaine HCl pills work well to decrease acid reflux for some people. (Not all though, for example if your acid reflux is coming from a hiatal hernia.)

OP
zarrin77

zarrin77

For you specifically, I would try this:

Drink baking soda water relatively quickly. Then note the time that you start to get this “rebound” acid reflux. Let’s say its 1hr later.

Then, next time you try baking soda water, drink it 50 or so min before your next meal. This way, the acid rebound will beneficially help digest your food, and you may not get reflux symptoms (Active digestion also helps to keep that sphincter closed). Just try it out.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals