Sodium Beyond Taste?

kateb

Has anyone increased sodium dramatically with good results such as increased energy, desired weight loss, improved edema?

I consume normally less than 1000 mg per day. I have low blood pressure. I don't desire more salt nor salty foods in general, restaurant food tastes overly salted to me.

I am experimenting with adding more like 3-4 more teaspoons to help with edema and low energy starting today.

I haven't done so yet because salt to taste makes sense to me but maybe years of high water and low salt confused my desire for salt?

theLaw

Couple of ideas:

1. Sodium, Calcium, and Magnesium have a similar effect, so you might try adding more of the last two if salt is unappetizing

2. Thyroid helps regulate the retention of all three listed above, so more Thyroid might be needed (I had this same issue when I started Peating)

Personally, I tried increasing my salt intake alone using gelatin capsules and adding salt to foods, but found that without strong digestion, it would always lead to some discomfort.

I think that healing digestive issues, and adding Thyroid would probably be a good first step in being able to tolerate more sodium.

Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

tara

Maybe try just a slight increase, rather than a massive one? eg from ~ 1000 to 1200 or 1500mg? Personally, I'm not sure that it's wise to override taste on this. Your body may have its reasons.

OP
K

kateb

Thanks Tara I definitely over did it and ballooned. Not sure how long it would take to adjust but wasn't feeling brave enough to see. Back to usual now and feel well maybe I just don't need a lot of salt especially since I'm not drinking as much water anymore. I think if I don't crave it in lieu of evidence to the contrary I probably am getting enough. Haven't had dizziness since eating Peat foods so maybe my electrolyte balance is superior now.