Soda Between Meals (20g Sucrose)

nomoreketones

Is there any harm drinking a cup (240 ml) of soda every hour or so between meals while adjusting to a Ray Peat inspired diet? (Assume 3 square meals a day that follow all the Ray Peat Principles and provide all required nutrition).

The purpose is to help reduce the stress response and hunger that is hitting in between meals.

OP
N

nomoreketones

Ray Peat's article Glucose and sucrose for diabetes. tells a story of a guy named William Brown who ate the following diet:
  • 2500 Calories
  • Sugar syrup at hourly intervals
  • Protein from a 4 quarts of fat free skim milk
  • juice from half an orange
  • Potato starch biscuit
  • Vitamin D and carotene supplements
The guy lost weight and got much healthier.

So this tells me that you can have soda every hour between meals as long as your diet is very low in fat. Maybe I'll use lactose free milk and add sucrose Danny Roddy style. I'll drink 1/2 gallon of milk with added sucrose. Then I'll switch to soda when the milk runs out. That should be enough calcium to keep my metabolism high and properly use the sugar.

Tenacity

Assuming the rest of the diet is in order and the ingredients in the soda aren't too offensive (sugar, carbon dioxide and water aren't to be feared here), I don't see why it'd do you any harm.

tara

May be OK for a while, if the rest of your diet is providing plenty of minerals, and you are not having particular difficulty with sugar oxidation to begin with. Is there a reason not to have juice instead of soda, at least some of the time? The potassium etc that come along with it help with metabolising the sugars. I wouldn't recommend making soda or other refined sucrose/HFCS a major portion of calories for an extended period.

ETA: Some people seem to have trouble with that much fluid (240ml/waking hr), but this varies a lot depending on size, personal health, activity, and environmental conditions. If you are peeing clear and frequent, I'd take that as a sign of possibly too much fluid, and reduce the quantity a bit. Drinking every hour seems good to me.

Last edited:
OP
N

nomoreketones

Is there a reason not to have juice instead of soda, at least some of the time? The potassium etc that come along with it help with metabolising the sugars. I wouldn't recommend making soda or other refined sucrose/HFCS a major portion of calories for an extended period.

I'm having a half gallon of orange juice and a quart of milk daily now and that is not enough to satisfy my appetite even with 1200 calories of pasta every day. The reason I want to add soda (Sierra Mist - sucrose based) is because it is less expensive and more calorie dense.

I hope to eventually ditch the pasta and replace it with something calorie dense. Right now soda is the only thing I could think of that is not overly expensive.

Extreme hunger is why I need the soda.

tara

I'm having a half gallon of orange juice and a quart of milk daily now and that is not enough to satisfy my appetite even with 1200 calories of pasta every day. The reason I want to add soda (Sierra Mist - sucrose based) is because it is less expensive and more calorie dense.

Further up you were saying 1/2 gallon milk? 1/2 gallon milk + 1/2 gallon OJ would be quite a lot of liquid, even without adding further soda - but if you can handle all that water, then probably it's OK. Potatoes can sometimes work as a cheap and nutritious food, if you don't have particular difficulty with starch or nightshades.

I understand cost as a reason to choose cheap calories. I'm certainly in favour of responding to hunger. If you need some soda to do that, I'd go for it. Maybe you can come up with some more nutritious/calorie-dense options to add to your menu. Maybe consider denser snacks too, eg dried fruit, cheese, chocolate, fudge, candy, smoothies, condensed milk, jellies, cheesecake. If you are dealing with extreme hunger, you might find it better to have more than 3 solid meals a day?

If you want to tell, what are you aiming to do, and what and how much are you eating for meals?

M

marikay

Ray has said he sometimes drinks up to ten cokes a day, at least half of them by themselves with no other food. As long as the soda doesn't replace the other food and nutrients you should get, you'll be fine.

Nighteyes

Ray has said he sometimes drinks up to ten cokes a day, at least half of them by themselves with no other food. As long as the soda doesn't replace the other food and nutrients you should get, you'll be fine.

Wow, what. Any Source for this? :) e-mail exchanges?

M

marikay

@Nighteyes It's in an interview (print) somewhere. I'll try to find it and post it here. I seem to remember he does this when he can't get fresh oranges. More soon.

milk_lover

I drink full-fat milk in copious amounts without running into the too much liquid problem. It has sugars, fat, protein just like a complete meal. Dairy fat is superior to the pasta you're eating if you want the calories. I don't understand the hate dairy fat is getting on this forum. If people are worried about PUFA in dairy fat, the saturated fat should be protective against it like CO.

OP
N

nomoreketones

If you want to tell, what are you aiming to do, and what and how much are you eating for meals?

I have many goals but the goal I am focusing on fist is preventing adrenaline from being released between meals. When my body releases adrenaline I get very sweaty hands so I have a real good biofeedback indicator to work with. I will be at my computer working and all of a sudden I will notice that my hands are drenched and I feel hungry.

I just switched to Ray Peat in the last week. I need to get my food intake dialed in. I'll start a log in the log section.

tara

I have many goals but the goal I am focusing on fist is preventing adrenaline from being released between meals. When my body releases adrenaline I get very sweaty hands so I have a real good biofeedback indicator to work with. I will be at my computer working and all of a sudden I will notice that my hands are drenched and I feel hungry.
That makes sense and looks like you've got an easy way to notice progress. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals