So we don't have to eat carbs and fats toghether?

Trullo

Metabolic Inflexibility: When Mitochondrial Indecision Leads to Metabolic Gridlock​

Abstract​

Normal energy metabolism is characterized by periodic shifts in glucose and fat oxidation, as the mitochondrial machinery responsible for carbon combustion switches freely between alternative fuels according to physiological and nutritional circumstances. These transitions in fuel choice are orchestrated by an intricate network of metabolic and cell signaling events that enable exquisite crosstalk and cooperation between competing substrates to maintain energy and glucose homeostasis. By contrast, obesity-related cardiometabolic diseases are increasingly recognized as disorders of metabolic inflexibility, in which nutrient overload and heightened substrate competition result in mitochondrial indecision, impaired fuel switching, and energy dysregulation. This Perspective offers a speculative view on the molecular origins and pathophysiological consequences of metabolic inflexibility.

@Hans

Summer

Makes sense to me. Carbs and fats aren’t mixed in significant amounts in nature outside of milk. This has been a principle in Ayurveda for a looooong time. I find it hard to eat this way, though. I’m left feeling unsatisfied. Probably just too used to unnatural food combinations.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Not sure I understand the heading. You don't have to if you don't do good with it. Find what works for you. The body is quite capable to use glucose and fat at the same of time or on its own.

OP
T

Trullo

Not sure I understand the heading. You don't have to if you don't do good with it. Find what works for you. The body is quite capable to use glucose and fat at the same of time or on its own.
This is a mainstream reply...

Hans

Forum Supporter
This is a mainstream reply...
How is it mainstream? For some people, they mix well for others they don't. People like to micro-focus on one thing and lose focus of what really matters. Plus, there are many different scenarios. For example, the way the body uses fats and glucose is different during a caloric deficit, maintenance and surplus. Plus, it further can be manipulated with sleep, exercise, sun exposure, nutritional deficiencies, etc.
I'm just trying to bring awareness not to miss the forest for the trees.

Back
Top Bottom