So Pufas Free And More Fruit Is The Way To Go

fendertele

About to go grocery shopping at one of the big chains..

I would usually grab meats from the frozen section like breast fillets and diced beef but have been reading they may contain pufas which is bad...

So any tips for shopping pufs free in a supermarket?

I'm looking to optimize my hormones and think I'm eating badly despite thinking I'm eating well.

Let's do this :)

Thanks

Dobbler

Going completely PUFA free is next to imposible and would require a diet of nothing but OJ and skim milk basicly, and you would run to negative effects eventually. Low PUFA means you avoid foods high in PUFAs such as seed oils, nuts etc. Focus on foods with high Saturated fat / low PUFA ratio. You mention beef, which has pretty nice fat ratio and its low in PUFA so its good to eat imo. Other good foods are seafood (no salmon, too high in PUFA), dairy, anything from beef (gelatin, different cuts), almost all fruits, berries, eggs, coconuts. Keep reading the forum and you will learn alot.

OP
F

fendertele

Going completely PUFA free is next to imposible and would require a diet of nothing but OJ and skim milk basicly, and you would run to negative effects eventually. Low PUFA means you avoid foods high in PUFAs such as seed oils, nuts etc. Focus on foods with high Saturated fat / low PUFA ratio. You mention beef, which has pretty nice fat ratio and its low in PUFA so its good to eat imo. Other good foods are seafood (no salmon, too high in PUFA), dairy, anything from beef (gelatin, different cuts), almost all fruits, berries, eggs, coconuts. Keep reading the forum and you will learn alot.

Well my shopping list usually consists of.

Chicken breasts diced frozen
beef/steak etc frozen
brown rice long grain
greek yoghurt
cheese
chocolate ice cream
dark chocolate
smarties ( use for cortisol control when working out)
oj for breakfast
coke zero few cans/bottles
tinned tuna
garlic mayo
mayo
eggs
protein oat pots ( quick and easy add water ones)
semi skimmed milk
sauces for adding to dinner ( usually indian curry jars)
BBQ/Tomato/Brown Ketchups.
Honey ( for greek yoghurt and cups of tea)
apples
bananas
strawberries

Anything stand out as terrible ? I've noticed somethings said about tuna and also my sauces for dinner contain rapeseed oil... is there any good brands that are made with olive oil etc..

cheers.

Last edited:

Lee Simeon

Well my shopping list usually consists of.

Chicken breasts diced frozen
beef/steak etc frozen
brown rice long grain
greek yoghurt
cheese
chocolate ice cream
dark chocolate
smarties ( use for cortisol control when working out)
oj for breakfast
coke zero few cans/bottles
tinned tuna
garlic mayo
mayo
eggs
protein oat pots ( quick and easy add water ones)
semi skimmed milk
sauces for adding to dinner ( usually indian curry jars)
BBQ/Tomato/Brown Ketchups.
Honey ( for greek yoghurt and cups of tea)
apples
bananas
strawberries

Anything stand out as terrible ? I've noticed somethings said about tuna and also my sauces for dinner contain rapeseed oil... is there any good brands that are made with olive oil etc..

cheers.
I think that I can speak for most people when I say mayo is probably not a great option. Lot of other good choices though :)

OP
F

fendertele

I think that I can speak for most people when I say mayo is probably not a great option. Lot of other good choices though :)

god please don't make me drop the mayo lol! its one of the very few things I can use to flavour dry food... well I only really use it for the tuna. and I guess if that's gotta go then the mayo will also... might start making my own using olive oil that should make a difference.

what about the jarred sauces containing rapeseed oil etc... they okay in moderation or should I be seeking an alternative.

Lee Simeon

god please don't make me drop the mayo lol! its one of the very few things I can use to flavour dry food... well I only really use it for the tuna. and I guess if that's gotta go then the mayo will also... might start making my own using olive oil that should make a difference.

what about the jarred sauces containing rapeseed oil etc... they okay in moderation or should I be seeking an alternative.
Hahaha, I understand you concern. I think there is a low PUFA mayo recipe somewhere on this forum if I recall correctly though.

Douglas Ek

Use butter to make dry food creamier and better.

Things you mentioned that I would drop are chicken
White rice instead of brown rice.
Regular coke with sugar bettter than zero
Eat tuna less frequently still quite low in fat so alright fish.
I tout full fat milk but a lot of people go skimmed milk.
Oats i would personally skip from what ive understood its endotoxic and other negative stuff aswell
Well cooked potatoes and sweet potatoes i would add.
Cooked vegetables. Cook spinach in butter is nice. Good source of magnesium and vitamin k1. Salt a bit taste great.
Carrots and the classic carrot salad grated carrots with teaspon olive oil and vinegar + salt.
But keep in mind its your diet and you choose what to eat.
General guide lines are low PUFA food and eating more carbs and cook fibery foods longer

KennethKaniff

Standard commercial mayo is about 95% soybean oil, making it one of the WORST things you can eat.

You can make your own mayo at home instead, or buy Chosen Foods brand Coconut Oil Mayo.

Sour cream also seems to work well as an alternative to mayo for things like tuna salad

Douglas Ek

Standard commercial mayo is about 95% soybean oil, making it one of the WORST things you can eat.

You can make your own mayo at home instead, or buy Chosen Foods brand Coconut Oil Mayo.

Sour cream also seems to work well as an alternative to mayo for things like tuna salad

Think most mayo is canola oil which is just as bad though.
I love mayo and eat it from time to time. Kinda hard to find a oil that works since you need a oil that is liquid even refrigerater so butter or coconut oil doesnt work for that. Olive oil doesnt work either because of the taste ive tried taste werid.

KennethKaniff

Think most mayo is canola oil which is just as bad though.
I love mayo and eat it from time to time. Kinda hard to find a oil that works since you need a oil that is liquid even refrigerater so butter or coconut oil doesnt work for that. Olive oil doesnt work either because of the taste ive tried taste werid.

It probably depends on the country you live in. Here in the states most mayo is still made with soybean oil, although canola oil products seem to be increasing.

The Chosen Foods Coconut Oil Mayo seems to be fine in the refrigerator, contrary to what you said. It keeps the same texture and doesn't solidify.

tara

god please don't make me drop the mayo lol! its one of the very few things I can use to flavour dry food...

No-one's going to make you do anything - it's all your own choice. :)

It's the polyunsaturated fats that Peat and many here try to keep to lowish levels. You decide how far you want to go with that, and whether you can find tasty alternatives to the higher-PUFA habits, or want to reduce the quantities of them.
You can read the ingredients and see what's in them, and hopefully how much PUFA.
Good (that is real) olive oil has ~ 9% PUFA, which is less than many seed oils. Coocnut oil is much less again. If you are up to making your own, that's an option.
There are some nice dressings that can be made with greek yogurt, too, if you like them. Butter, coconut oil, (real) sour cream, a little olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, some herbs and veges - tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, etc can all help with dry food.

Runenight201

For an antidote to dry foods, I’d highly recommend soups as well. They can be made salty and cooked with different veggies, fats, herbs, and spices to produce many different flavors. The boiling in salt water helps digest the starches as well.

When I think back to Paleolithic human, they probably had a big ole pot of water and threw whatever roots and plants they found mixed with whatever bones and meat they had and made a nice daily stew of salty goop to consume.

tara

sunraiser

What is it that you're aiming to do by changing your diet?

Massively and arbitrarily overhauling it based on random people who are not you's recommendation will probably make you less robust. I'm gonna say it because I see it over and over again.

There are a wealths of knowledge and wisdom on here but this is not the way.

Your current shopping list looks quite balanced from a mineral and vitamin intake perspective and I wouldn't change it much.

By saying "semi skimmed" I'm pretty sure you're from the UK. You can get olive oil based mayo from Waitrose and probably other places.

If you have a specific health concern then it's worth discussing but if you're generally just trying to be "healthier" then massive dietary overhaul based on theory will make you less so.

Small changes. Your body is dynamic and intuitive and balanced based on routine intakes and habits.

Last edited:

Mary Lyn

You can make a nice mayo from raw cashews which is fairly low in pufa, at least l think it is? You soak a cupful in water to just cover then high speed blend with tbs acv and clove garlic adding wherever seasonings you want including mustard.

Sugar Bun

When I think back to Paleolithic human, they probably had a big ole pot of water and threw whatever roots and plants they found mixed with whatever bones and meat they had and made a nice daily stew of salty goop to consume.

How? Sounds like Hollywood, unless that bowl was whole roast turtle.

fradon

About to go grocery shopping at one of the big chains..

I would usually grab meats from the frozen section like breast fillets and diced beef but have been reading they may contain pufas which is bad...

So any tips for shopping pufs free in a supermarket?

I'm looking to optimize my hormones and think I'm eating badly despite thinking I'm eating well.

Let's do this :)

Thanks

your body needs about 10% pufa. pufa are your vitamin E, your vitamin F, omega 3 and 6 for skin eyes brain etc. from what i remember from the OMEGA ZONE BOOK dr sears said that human cells are about 45% saturated 45% monounsaturated adn 10%polyunsaturated.

the pufa in meat are unlikely oxidized as the bigg sinners are OILS.

butter lard tallow all have about 10%PUFA AND might make better choices but the best is goose fat.

Xemnoraq

I wouldnt say its that difficult in my opinion, i do fat free/PUFA free everyday with the ocasional small amounts of cheese adding up to 5g of fat per day, but i think of it as almost eating a natural diet,

Just fruits rice with no oil and sauce with some fat free cottage cheese or egg whites, or a fat free fish meat i found recently,

Oj other fruit juices,
Basically just remove added oils from the diet and stick to either fat free cheese or really low fat cheese youll be hitting like 0.1g-0.5g of PUFA per day, and at that point its likely you would burn that small amount off as not as your not biting off more than you can chew persay,

But most natural foods come with vitamin E paired in them so choosing foods with the highest vitamin E to PUFA ratio i think is optimal for example mangos if you eat enough of them have like 0.4g of PUFA, however it has i think like 15mg of vitamin E at that serving level and thats more than enough to saturate or detoxify the miniscule amount of PUFA, i wouldnt say its impossible but id say it takes dicipline, for example try having fries without oil! Its still good but not the same right.

Zigzag

I wouldnt say its that difficult in my opinion, i do fat free/PUFA free everyday with the ocasional small amounts of cheese adding up to 5g of fat per day, but i think of it as almost eating a natural diet,

Just fruits rice with no oil and sauce with some fat free cottage cheese or egg whites, or a fat free fish meat i found recently,

Oj other fruit juices,
Basically just remove added oils from the diet and stick to either fat free cheese or really low fat cheese youll be hitting like 0.1g-0.5g of PUFA per day, and at that point its likely you would burn that small amount off as not as your not biting off more than you can chew persay,

But most natural foods come with vitamin E paired in them so choosing foods with the highest vitamin E to PUFA ratio i think is optimal for example mangos if you eat enough of them have like 0.4g of PUFA, however it has i think like 15mg of vitamin E at that serving level and thats more than enough to saturate or detoxify the miniscule amount of PUFA, i wouldnt say its impossible but id say it takes dicipline, for example try having fries without oil! Its still good but not the same right.

What if you took vitamin E everyday you eat PUFA? Imagine eating exactly the right amount of Vit E, so that there's no deficit/excess. Would it completely negate side ffecets of PUFAs?