So my endocrinologist is going to say no to me tomorrow...

messtafarian

I made an appointment with my endocrinologist to ask for thyroid meds. Dr. Peat seems to favor armour thyroid.

She's going to say no. I am going to tell her that I want to be on thyroid medication and she is going to say -- you can't have that because you are hyperthyroid and you will have a heart attack, since you have high blood pressure and you are clinically hyperthyroid.

I would rather do this through an endocrinologist than go renegade, really because it seems she would know more about the dosages and so forth than I would; but I'm not feeling too hopeful about this.

Has anyone ever had a successful argument with their endocrinologist when you already know they're going to say no to you?

jyb

Re: So my endocrinologist is going to say no to me tomorrow.

Tell how your mother had the symptoms, but recovered amazingly when put on thyroid?

Say you just want to check it out for a few days (limited amount of meds), then at the follow up appointment say how much healthier you are (even if a few days is not enough) so you should be given more?

OP
M

messtafarian

Thanks. I guess I can try it. No matter where I go, no matter what I read -- it's always the same. There are only two treatments on offer for toxic multinodular goiter -- radiation or surgery. It's really likely I'll go on record as refusing treatment and I'll have to go renegade.

You know the thing that bothers me about this is that eventually, with all the politicizing of the medical community, there is just not going to be a way to get thyroid supplementation outside of the system. That really really really worries me. It worries me whether or not I have a thyroid.

J

j.

Your doctor might agree to your wishes just because if she says no, there's the risk that you would do what you want on your own anyway.

OP
M

messtafarian

You might be right. I hope you're right.

4peatssake

Peat no longer recommends armour. Not since they changed the formula. He now uses cynoplus (combination t3/4) and cynomel (straight t3).

I think going in "knowing" your doctor is going to turn you down will work against you. Rather go in "knowing" she is going to say yes.

Take research with you, showing the benefits of taking thyroid for your condition. I think you have a reply from Ray Peat? Let her know you are doing your research and this is how you wish to treat the problem. That you wish to avoid radiation and surgery at all costs and believe very strongly that thyroid supplementation will help you.

A good doctor just might support you in your decisions if they can see you know what you are talking about. It is your body after all.

Good luck.

J

j.

I think some people on this forum use armour. Would it be better than synthroid?

OP
M

messtafarian

Do any of you guys have papers or access to papers re the treatment of multinodular goiter using thyroid hormone?

I believe it could work simply because in my rudimentary brain I have hypothyroid symptoms and have for years, so it just seems to me that correcting it, goiter or no, will have health benefits. The issue is a problem with a thing called "thyroid storm" where the thyroid goes bananas one day due to overstimulation.

But I'm not finding any published research that talks about the "dangers" of treating this with supplementation. Or actually *anything* about treatment except a paper about blowing it up with radioactive iodine. Anybody got a stash of research about this somewhere?

OP
M

messtafarian

Well the update is -- the doctor did in fact say no to me. I told her I thought I was hypothyroid -- she said she thought there was absolutely no evidence of that and that my thyroid was perfectly fine. I asked her why I had nodules and she said she really didn't know.

She said I had two options: watch and wait, or surgery. She said to get my levels checked in six months and another ultrasound in one year. End of story, thanks for stopping by.

If anyone has any info on legal sources for thyroid hormone, could you please PM me?

J

j.

I think farmacia del nino, mexican drug store, etc., are somehow technically legal, but you might want to get a confirmation on that.

OP
M

messtafarian

No, that's not true. I mean the pharmacies are not breaking the law by being pharmacies, but synthroid, cytomel, cynoplus, etc; are illegal to buy or have in your possession unless you have a prescription for them in the United States. The only "legal" thyroid is a place called nutrimeds --

http://www.nutri-meds.com/

They sell natural porcine and bovine dessicated thyroid supplements that somehow cleared the FDA. However this has all the thyroid hormones -- I really only want or need T3. I just don't think there's any way to get it without breaking the law.

J

j.

If so, it seems the law isn't enforced anyway. What would be the penalty for the T3 pirates, theoretically?

OP
M

messtafarian

Arrest.

Theoretically.

J

j.

Quickly googling gave me different information

Penalties
The penalties for the illegal sale of prescription drugs vary, depending on where the case was prosecuted (federal charges carry the same penalties, no matter where in the country the prosecution occurs, but each state has its own sentencing provisions). A conviction for an illegal sale of prescription drugs carries rather heavy penalties. Selling illegally is treated much more seriously than simply possessing a drug illegally. As a result, while a possession conviction could result in a fine or a misdemeanor record, an illegal sale conviction generally results in a felony record along with a prison term

Link

J

j.

Also, is nutri-meds bad? I think RP often advises to take T3 and T4 in their natural ratio.

OP
M

messtafarian

Oh, cool. Good link, thanks! I should look up the statutes for my state.

Nutrimeds isn't bad at all, I think it's awesome there's a national legal alternative. It contains genuine thyroid, too, so it's real.

Thing is I don't really need t3 and t4. I'm making enough T4 ( not a lot, but enough) and t3 only could bypass a hot nodule...meaning I would just be tweaking up circulating T3 just a little. But there is no option like that in the states without a prescription.

OP
M

messtafarian

:). I've never had a chicken neck before, but I've had coffee and aspirin. I think I've heard they act like T3...but I sure wish I could *try* T3 and find out, you know?

J

j.

So RP isn't advising you to take both T3 and T4? I heard him warn about T3 alone.