So Much Fun With Saturated Fats Guys! Important Study!

OP
Crazycoco

Crazycoco

Revisiting dietary fat guidelines? (PURE)

Each type of fat was associated with significantly reduced mortality risk: 14% lower for saturated fat, 19% for mono-unsaturated fat, and 20% for polyunsaturated fat. Higher saturated fat intake was also associated with a 21% decrease in stroke risk

I dont understand the decreasing rate by 20% for pufa. May be pufa are not dangerous for cardio events but only for cancers or skin?

Zpol

I dont understand the decreasing rate by 20% for pufa. May be pufa are not dangerous for cardio events but only for cancers or skin?

I don't understand this either. I am sitting with my boyfriend right now, at the hospital, he just had a heart attack, had two stints put in. He's 40yrs. old.
The doctors say to eat Olive oil and not saturated fats.
But he's also got metabolic disorder.
So now what do I cook for him?

J

James IV

Eating more calories from fat is protective for many people, even if the fat sources are poor. For me personally, if my fat dips too low, I cannot maintain my health no matter what other foods I eat.

Nutrition must not be looked at through a reductionist lense. You have to view the big picture. If a person isn't eating enough fat to keep them healthy, then adding any fat, even PUFA, may be healthier than not meeting their needs at all. I know a number of vegans that have drastically improved their health by adding more avacado, and nuts to their diet.

Furthermore, carbohydrate can be harmful when eaten beyond metabolic capacity. So displacing carb calories with fat, can be healing in some cases.

Last edited by a moderator: