So Many Good Die Young, Kobe Bryant, At 41, RIP Kobe

milkboi

He wasn't planning on leaving, neither are we.

Good point. :): I‘m just not into the celebrity worship, especially if they are probably a bad person (Kobe was a rapist). Not saying you or other posters were doing that (the celebrity worship).

gaze

Good point. :): I‘m just not into the celebrity worship, especially if they are probably a bad person (Kobe was a rapist). Not saying you or other posters were doing that (the celebrity worship).

something about sports for some reason really resonates with me. The underdog mentality, motivation, getting back up after failing, self overcoming, trying to find the optimal way of performance. And It can be healthy to appreciate athletes who show these traits and try to implement them into our own lives. Of course, 90% of people go way to far with their appreciation of athletes, and look at them like gods while the "gods" make millions off them. And competition itself isn't peaty at all, everything about sports isn't peaty, but just because peat lives his life to the full degree of stress free, it doesn't mean its the right or only way to live.

yerrag

Friend sent this to me, not sure if it's the crash in this topic. If true, it doesn't look like pilot error. I could imagine this being a maintenance issue. Is it a matter of fake parts, as I've read before how rampant the practice of selling fake parts is, even in the aviation business.

This, I learned, is not the actual footage! It's said to be from a crash in a rescue mission in UAE in 2018.

yerrag

such a nice comment thank you !

This made me think if it's possible for a person to hex an entire family, neighborhood, community, city, or country, or world. And I think definitely so.

Not by design, as in a hex, but by his foolish action.

michael94

This made me think if it's possible for a person to hex an entire family, neighborhood, community, city, or country, or world. And I think definitely so.

Not by design, as in a hex, but by his foolish action.
Yerrag is it true you used to live in south bay? hello from Torrance

I know Kobe traveled in a helicopter everywhere but this is still pretty weird.

He trusted the helicopter. Helicopters are generally made for the military, and their reliability is pretty much defined by the military procurement process, not necessarily the exacting quality process of making cars competitively and appreciated and rewarded by the consumer market. That's why Toyota dominates and why GM always sucks. Imagine GM building that helicopter and helicopter crashes would be even more common and Kobe would just suck in the LA traffic instead of using choppers.

If the military defines the quality and reliability of a vehicle, then that vehicle is unreliable. Just look at the Hummer. Look at the duds in bombs that still kill civilians decades after the war is over. Such as in Vietnam. Look at the fighter jets and the casualties that happen even in practice and in non-combat situations. You really have to believe in a God and pray hard each time you go in one.

The Boeing 737 Max fiasco is the most glaring example of a company in bed with the military reaping what it sows. Just get out of the military business, and the corrupt influence that waters down your quality and reliability standards in design and construction will be gone. What Boeing did was to get the military part of its business involved in the consumer passenger part of its business. The military part is used to getting away with poor quality, and they always get away with it, with reckless abandon and with impunity. They grease the palms, as doing that is the one and only critical factor that defines its success.

Boeing greased the palms at the FAA, and the rest is history. This hubris is deserved for Boeing. It does not get away with it so easily.

Sad that Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna and the other casualties have to end this way. To us this is a sad loss. To the companies that fuel the wars of the world, it is just collateral damage.

From what I read, it was very foggy where the chopper was passing through. Air control told the pilot to stay put. The pilot had been waiting for 15 minutes and got impatient, headed south, if I remember correctly, and ended up going to a mountainous area where he crashed. This was supposedly what was learned from the choppers black box. If it was the pilots fault for being impatient, then damn, what a stupid mistake. No lesson to learn for the pilot, just the ultimate consequence.

yerrag

Yerrag is it true you used to live in south bay? hello from Torrance

I know Kobe traveled in a helicopter everywhere but this is still pretty weird.

Yes, I stayed there for about 3 years. I stayed at Playa del Rey. Nice mediterranean weather, I slept through the planes flying in and out of LAX. Used to go to Torrance a lot then thru PCH. I understand how "No Way HIghway" would play a big part in using choppers through LA. That's the risk of being rich and busy and able to afford choppers. You have to see each day as your last day, I suppose.

yerrag

From what I read, it was very foggy where the chopper was passing through. Air control told the pilot to stay put. The pilot had been waiting for 15 minutes and got impatient, headed south, if I remember correctly, and ended up going to a mountainous area where he crashed. This was supposedly what was learned from the choppers black box. If it was the pilots fault for being impatient, then damn, what a stupid mistake. No lesson to learn for the pilot, just the ultimate consequence.
That sure looks like a pilot with no training in defensive flying. It's like the idiot driver who overtakes on solid lines in the median, heading into an incoming truck. Serious error in judgment. He is the captain and he is responsible for his passengers and crew. Of course, we don't know what transpired. They may be in a rush and didn't want to be late. They may have done the same maneuver and detour many times in the past. But that's still playing dice. When we live on the edge, there's the thrill that we yearn to relive each time. One may develop a sense of invincibility over time, and then hubris takes it all away. Still, it's a life well-lived, and I hope there are no regrets at what could have been, and many moments left behind to remember of with fondness.

michael94

Yes, I stayed there for about 3 years. I stayed at Playa del Rey. Nice mediterranean weather, I slept through the planes flying in and out of LAX. Used to go to Torrance a lot then thru PCH. I understand how "No Way HIghway" would play a big part in using choppers through LA. That's the risk of being rich and busy and able to afford choppers. You have to see each day as your last day, I suppose.
Marina Del Rey and the South bay are linked in an important way, which is given away by their "nature preservations".. the ballona wetlands/madrona marsh etc. Most outsiders dont know this.. but the natural habitat of Los Angeles was very swampy.. like a bog. I find it interesting when people point out that the LA Lakers are misnamed because LA has no lakes...which not might be as true as they think.. The LA clippers which also play at the staples center, have the acronym LAC... this is Lake in French.

yerrag

Marina Del Rey and the South bay are linked in an important way, which is given away by their "nature preservations".. the ballona wetlands/madrona marsh etc. Most outsiders dont know this.. but the natural habitat of Los Angeles was very swampy.. like a bog. I find it interesting when people point out that the LA Lakers are misnamed because LA has no lakes...which not might be as true as they think.. The LA clippers which also play at the staples center, have the acronym LAC... this is Lake in French.
I suppose those areas were reclaimed? I didn't notice much of the marshland when I explored the length of the beach from Playa del Rey all the way to Sta. Monica. At least that was how I remembered it. But I'm fascinated at how the US army corps of engineers were able to reduce LA River to canals. Not in a good way though. A lot of nature, along with the floods, were obliterated from the landscape. All the paced concrete robbed LA of its ground water.

michael94

I suppose those areas were reclaimed? I didn't notice much of the marshland when I explored the length of the beach from Playa del Rey all the way to Sta. Monica. At least that was how I remembered it. But I'm fascinated at how the US army corps of engineers were able to reduce LA River to canals. Not in a good way though. A lot of nature, along with the floods, were obliterated from the landscape. All the paced concrete robbed LA of its ground water.
I remember reading something about Manhattan Beach and that they had all of their sand shipped in, that the "beach" is in fact entirely artificial. I imagine that is also true for many of the other beach areas in Los Angeles.

Madrona Marsh was not reclaimed, and I dont think Ballona Wetlands were either. The cities just built around them.

I am not mentioning this for inconsequential small talk... Residents of Los Angeles must drastically alter their view of where they live in order to "drain the swamp" ... so to speak. But it is more like a Fen than an irredeemable swamp.

Peater

I'm struggling to think of anything I care less about than this. Sorry.
What made Kobe more good than your average man or woman on the street? The fact he could shoot hoops well?

yerrag

I remember reading something about Manhattan Beach and that they had all of their sand shipped in, that the "beach" is in fact entirely artificial. I imagine that is also true for many of the other beach areas in Los Angeles.

Madrona Marsh was not reclaimed, and I dont think Ballona Wetlands were either. The cities just built around them.

I am not mentioning this for inconsequential small talk... Residents of Los Angeles must drastically alter their view of where they live in order to "drain the swamp" ... so to speak. But it is more like a Fen than an irredeemable swamp.
A Fen?

I doubt you can expect LA residents to change given how embedded attitudes are. They are joined to the hips to the concrete structures built over decades, structures that separate LA into disparate parts with no continuity but only discrete breaks in culture and attitudes. In some ways it's good as they're like Swiss cantons. If you know your way around, you know where the best molé are, the best Chinese, the best Persian, Lebanese, Cuban etc. etc. to eat.

It is cosmopolitan but much unlike the connectedness of New York or the European cities. It is the epitome of urban sprawl which I abhor in the same way I hate Metro Manila.

michael94

A Fen is a type of marshland. Should come up on wikipedia as the first result.

The aging body, rather than being like a car that needs more and more repairs until it collapses from simple wear, is more like a car traveling a road that becomes increasingly rough and muddy, until the road becomes an impassable swamp.

quote from Ray Peat.

Such_Umami

One of the greatest ever. Someone I looked up to and based my game on. What a sad day.

yerrag

A Fen is a type of marshland. Should come up on wikipedia as the first result.

I see now. Glad Madrona Marsh and the Ballona Wetlands survived. Someone back in the past cared enough to fight for them.

johnsmith

@michael94 This is an interesting quote. Could anyone expand on this? I don't think I fully grasp it.

"The aging body, rather than being like a car that needs more and more repairs until it collapses from simple wear, is more like a car traveling a road that becomes increasingly rough and muddy, until the road becomes an impassable swamp." - Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals