So, Is This Carrot Salad A Legit Thing?

NotSoAlpha

Ah yes, the carrot salad. This is supposed to be good for you.

I found this while searching about it: http://peatarian.com/39419/critical-rev ... ial-growth

The guy (Bukowski) says it causes bacterial overgrowth. But it's supposed to do the opposite!

I guess what I want to hear are you personal experiences with the mystical carrot salad, and what benefits you've actually noticed from it? Do you think it's something worth doing?

Peater

I eat it because it's a tasty, simple, quick recipe.

Does that make me weird? :-/

G

gummybear

You can try with cascara sagrada or activated charcoal if you have a carrot phobia

pboy

man, not so alpha, the way you word things is not so alpha at all. You act like everything here is a joke yet somehow want to gain benefit. Either your on board of your not...no offense, but this isn't like a diet plan with recipes. If you are interested in going deep into holistic science of the body and life, then read more and listen o more interviews. If you want to 'be a cool social guy' and like go on a diet, and all that ***t....might as well not waste your time.

The carrot is unnecessary every day, its like a safe weak antibiotic that isn't harsh like garlic or pharmaceuticals, and has the added benefit of removing some estrogen also, as with most fibers. Its less serotonin provoking or hard on the intestines than most other antibacterial agents

Carrot is partly fermented like any resistant starch apart from bran. However it also contains potent antimicrobial oils. I think Ray Peat might be indirectly ok with some butyric acid if that means keeping the bacteria from getting rowdy.

tara

As long as I rinse the grated carrot well to remove some of the carotene, I enjoy eating it and my stomach seems to like it. I aim for every day, but sometimes only 5-6/7. I usually make in with coconut oil and salt. It might do a better job if I added vinegar, but I don't enjoy it as much. Sometimes I add lemon juice. I can't tell a direct difference in my health, but I assume its doing some good.

Peat said that for him it made a difference in preventing his migraines. He says it helps remove some of the estrogen that is excreted by the liver into the GI tract before it can be reabsorbed into the system. He says that for some people this is enough to make a difference in balancing hormones. It can also help remove some of the bacterial endotoxin (LPS) from the intestine before it can be adsorbed into the system. This can help reduce the workload on the liver, and help protect other organs, especially if the gut barrier is already weak.

OP
N

NotSoAlpha

pboy said:
man, not so alpha, the way you word things is not so alpha at all. You act like everything here is a joke yet somehow want to gain benefit. Either your on board of your not...no offense, but this isn't like a diet plan with recipes. If you are interested in going deep into holistic science of the body and life, then read more and listen o more interviews. If you want to 'be a cool social guy' and like go on a diet, and all that s***....might as well not waste your time.

pboy, where do you get these ideas about me? I'm totally interested in this diet. I'm even willing to eat and drink things I don't really like that much to get benefits!!!

Cool Social Guy? There's nothing cool and social about the peat diet!! Most diets by their very nature are unsocial. Friends don't want to go out and drink milk with you, they want to eat pizza.

ALL I ASKED, was for your personal experiences with the carrot salad. That's all. I have read Peat's theories on it, but I want to hear EXPERIENCES. Every guru has theories on things. Hell, the Paleo Gurus have all kinds of theories that absolutely ******* FAIL in application. IT'S THE APPLICATION THAT'S IMPORTANT TO ME. How things ACTUALLY WORK IN PRACTICE.

I just... I don't like half-arsing things. I want to do it PROPER. If the carrot salad is a vital component of this diet, then I will eat it. But I also don't want to waste effort on something that isn't beneficial - I don't want to be eating carrot salad every day if it's not going to help me, or make me worse. I came across that article on Peatarian where a guy is saying that it could be bad for you so I was just interested in hearing your thoughts on that too.

BUT NOOO APPARENTLY I THINK PEAT DIET IS "A JOKE" AND I AM JUST TRYING TO BE A "COOL SOCIAL GUY".

You know, I ****88 myself up doing low-carb paleo and other such extreme dieting practices. I cannot simply go back to eating normally at this stage, my body is too weakened. I know that Peat is onto something - I JUST WANT TO DO IT RIGHT, and I also want it to be sustainable so I'm not like "ughhhh....milk for breakfast again....???" 2 weeks into the diet and give up. Yanno? There's a mental component to eating as well, we are more than just machines. Our minds need to be happy as well.

The questions I have been asking may seem stupid to you but I am asking them in order to tailor this diet to my specific needs and to make it sustainable and somewhat enjoyable and also get maximum benefit from it. Is that a crime on this forum or something?

pboy

yea, na, my bad, its all good

and no...not a crime, others are and probably have been nicer...so they respresent the forum more than me

Gl;itch.e

Well if you are after personal opinion Id say that the carrot salad is incredibly powerful in the right circumstances. For me it helped to rebalance hormones and clear up some seasonal eczema Id get every winter. So Im pretty convinced that (for me) its super beneficial. The only problem I have is the carrotene which seems to build up in my calluses despite tons of rinsing and soaking.

ilovethesea

NotSoAlpha said:
Ah yes, the carrot salad. This is supposed to be good for you.

I found this while searching about it: http://peatarian.com/39419/critical-rev ... ial-growth

The guy (Bukowski) says it causes bacterial overgrowth. But it's supposed to do the opposite!

I guess what I want to hear are you personal experiences with the mystical carrot salad, and what benefits you've actually noticed from it? Do you think it's something worth doing?

Bukowski is known to recommend pretty much the opposite of most things Ray Peat is a proponent of. Just FYI.

tara

Just about any fibre will soak up endotoxin and estrogen in the gut and help carry it out, but carrot has some advantages over many other common ones, and most of the other Peaty food is pretty low fibre. If you prefer boiled bamboo shoots, they do a similar job. I haven't tried them yet .

dukez07

I'm yet to hear of anyone eating both the carrot salad and the bamboo shoots.

I notice very little efects from either, when doing it everyday.

The other day, I ate a carrot salad at 4pm and then fell sick later in the day (I had a tummy bug). I was vomitting at 10pm and that whole carrot salad thing was coming up out of my stomach. That's 6 hours it had been sitting there in my stomach. Perhaps it doesn't move through you as quickly as many think here? Because I have read about this happening to somebody else too. It was either somebody on here or it was somebody on the Peatarian forum, I cannot recall.

But yes, I generally forget to eat the carrot salad because of the zero effects I notice from it.

dukez07 said:
I'm yet to hear of anyone eating both the carrot salad and the bamboo shoots.

I notice very little efects from either, when doing it everyday.

The other day, I ate a carrot salad at 4pm and then fell sick later in the day (I had a tummy bug). I was vomitting at 10pm and that whole carrot salad thing was coming up out of my stomach. That's 6 hours it had been sitting there in my stomach. Perhaps it doesn't move through you as quickly as many think here? Because I have read about this happening to somebody else too. It was either somebody on here or it was somebody on the Peatarian forum, I cannot recall.

But yes, I generally forget to eat the carrot salad because of the zero effects I notice from it.

For what it's worth, I've vomited things from far beyond the stomach.

dukez07

[/quote]

For what it's worth, I've vomited things from far beyond the stomach.[/quote]

Care to share these things from beyond the stomach?

How far can one go beyond the actual stomach, with vomitting? That would certainly explain why those bits of grated carrot were still intact. But then, they obviously don't go all of the way through you, still looking the same, as when you ate them. Because they come out the other end in a different form that we all recognize. So they get disgested at some point. But yes, that's what I was puking up. Bits of grated carrot, that didn't even look digested. They appeared freshly grated. It was pretty sick.

lindsay

I did the carrot salad for awhile - with virgin Coconut oil, salt and honey (the honey really made it tasty). I didn't notice any huge benefit from it, so I stopped eating it because the whole grating the carrot process really annoyed me - I regularly would grate my knuckles in the process. Not fun.

However, there exists a carrot salad of sorts in other cultures, so I'm sure it's not just RP who thinks it's great. When I was living in Russia, I would sometimes buy this Korean carrot salad that was very popular everywhere there. It was fermented carrot in a vinaigrette of sorts with raw garlic. So I'm guessing that was one really potent antibiotic salad. I wish I could find it now here in the US - I'd buy it and give it a whirl again to see if I noticed anything. Pickled garlic is apparently milder due to the pickling process - it was another very popular food in Russia.

For what it's worth, I've vomited things from far beyond the stomach.[/quote]

Care to share these things from beyond the stomach?

How far can one go beyond the actual stomach, with vomitting? That would certainly explain why those bits of grated carrot were still intact. But then, they obviously don't go all of the way through you, still looking the same, as when you ate them. Because they come out the other end in a different form that we all recognize. So they get disgested at some point. But yes, that's what I was puking up. Bits of grated carrot, that didn't even look digested. They appeared freshly grated. It was pretty sick.[/quote]

After a prolonged sickness, I've had things that were ingested over six hours before. Keep in mind that carrot bits do often retain their shape and color in the stool, so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

tara

I think being sick sometimes results in gastroparesis - slowed stomach emptying - so it might have just been sitting in your stomach all along because you were not in good enough shape at the time for digestion to progress. I know migraines can slow digestion seriously, and I have at other times felt it too (and observed the returned contents hours later, etc).
I think there is a one way valve at the stomach outlet that generally prevents backflow.

natedawggh

I didn't see any noticeable affects from including a large daily carrot salad in my diet, but I don't think its supposed to be powerful enough to cure chronic diseases. I did however noticed a very marked difference in the level of histamine reaction and white tongue coating when eating Bamboo shoots. Even one serving of Bamboo immediately tamps down quite a few of my symptoms, including bloating, white tongue, and itching. Regular use of Bamboo shoots depressed those almost completely.