So, is glycine bad for you?

ironfist

I have recently been using very low doses of GlyNAC. I am mixing it myself, with nac pills and glycine powder.

I am taking about 600mg NAC and <1g glycine.

Glycine by itself puts me to sleep.

GlyNAC makes me phenomenally tired, slow, and dumb.

The closest thing I read was this:

It basically says glycine slows down the brain.

LeeLemonoil

I have recently been using very low doses of GlyNAC. I am mixing it myself, with nac pills and glycine powder.

Without having to read the link: no. If Glycine contributes to MDD phenomena then it is because of a massively deranged neuronal signaling. Glycine and the receptors and pathways it interacts with are massively intricate and intertwined. If the amino acid alone worsens symptoms it’s an effect not a cause

David PS

David PS

Answer from Haidut:
02:05:04 - Question: does having a source of glycine make methionine restriction unnecessary?

Haidut in a different video:
01:14:04 - Glycine (and leucine) can treat fatty liver (NAFLD and NASH)

DennisX

Glycine at 10gms/day or collagen at 24gms (10gms glycine) / day? Which would be best?

David PS

Haidut in another different video:
18:35 - Glycine has a universal anti-viral effect

With regard to NAC, Haidut states that Dr Peat is very consistent and that he hasn't changed his mind over over the last five years. Dr Peat keeps saying 'arginine and NAC are a no-no'. Listen here.

I use NAC for a few weeks during allergy season. It really clears my sinuses.

Last edited:

David PS

Glycine at 10gms/day or collagen at 24gms (10gms glycine) / day? Which would be best?
Ten grams of glycine is ten grams of glycine. Collagen has some extra goodies in it. But but for me, glycine the star attraction. Getting glycine from food is always best. I you are going to purchase commercial products, I would look at their cost and purchase the least expensive. This assumes the quality is acceptable..

David PS

David PS

Excellent! Thank you
hat_tip.gif

A good reference to Dr Peat's thoughts is missing from this thread.
...It has a wide range of antitumor actions, including the inhibition of new blood vessel formation (angiogenesis), and it has shown protective activity in liver cancer and melanoma. Since glycine is non-toxic (if the kidneys are working, since any amino acid will contribute to the production of ammonia), this kind of chemotherapy can be pleasant.

Last edited:

xborg

Reason 11 (possibly #1)
Glyphosate is by design such a close analog of glycine that it mimics and out competes glycine to wind up included in the synthesis of defective proteins. Reducing glyphosate exposure is top priority but is hard to fully eliminate. Adding more glycine helps tip the scales away from glyphosate's interference with normal protein synthesis.

Dr Stephanie Seneff has done great research on this and I would refer to her for more details.

AspiringSage

Reason 11 (possibly #1)
Glyphosate is by design such a close analog of glycine that it mimics and out competes glycine to wind up included in the synthesis of defective proteins. Reducing glyphosate exposure is top priority but is hard to fully eliminate. Adding more glycine helps tip the scales away from glyphosate's interference with normal protein synthesis.

Dr Stephanie Seneff has done great research on this and I would refer to her for more details.
That’s an interesting insight. I hadn’t wrapped by head around that part of glyphosates mechanism of action.

Ainaga

i have tried supplementing gelatin, mixing 20g with 20g of sugar and 180g of water, boiling, then adding lemon juice and drinking it warm. i love the drink, but if i drink it on a daily basis it plugs me up. does anyone has a similar experience with gelatin and knows how to prevent that?

Motorneuron

@David PS The easiest way to keep the ammonia at bay with a protein meal?

David PS

@David PS The easiest way to keep the ammonia at bay with a protein meal?
I do not have a biochemical background or any experience with reducing ammonia. But I will give it a shot based on Peat relate searching.

In this video clip Haidut states that aspirin chelates ammonia. He goes on to state that Ceylon cinnamon is a great killer of ammonia because it contains something that metabolized into benzoic acid benzoic acid is used as powerful ammonia killing effect. If you are going to use aspirin read Dr. Peat's recommendation to use vitamin K in his email thread.

Other ideas in these threads.

OP
I

ironfist

I do not have a biochemical background or any experience with reducing ammonia. But I will give it a shot based on Peat relate searching.

In this video clip Haidut states that aspirin chelates ammonia. He goes on to state that Ceylon cinnamon is a great killer of ammonia because it contains something that metabolized into benzoic acid benzoic acid is used as powerful ammonia killing effect. If you are going to use aspirin read Dr. Peat's recommendation to use vitamin K in his email thread.

Other ideas in these threads.

Buotin lowers choles?

Sapien

It is notable that the sole mechanism by which THC raises dopamine is by inhibiting gaba

So perhaps there is some truth to the OP article

Also I think caffine being a gaba antagonist contributes to its dopamine effect

zorba990

I've never had a problem with Collegen hydrolysates, but taking glycine by itself produced some weird effects for me. I had crazy, primal dreams of things I've never experienced (like being a piece of coral with waves washing against me) and I was so tired for the next 2 days I felt like a zombie. One of my health practitioners said the tiredness could be due to detoxing glyphosate and was aghast I had taken 3 grams on an empty stomach at night. I took so many naps over the two days following I was starting to get a scared of what I had done to myself.

Waynish

Yes you can feel by taking NAC that it is stressful. Maybe it is good for some conditions, but there is clearly a stress effect. Glycine is more of an anti-stress effect. Who knows what the chemical process is that is causing the industrial byproduct they're calling "glycine" though. A gelatin-causing soup (like Chinese tendon soup) is probably the safest. Definitely worth it to try glycine supplementation if one has long term mysterious gut or inflammatory disorders, however, especially due to the similarity (as someone above pointed out) between glyphosate and glycine.