So Is Drinking Coffee On An Empty Stomach Dangerous Or Not Good?

Experienced

"It's important not to drink coffee on an empty stomach, it should always be with food, since it increases the metabolic rate, and can deplete glycogen stores". Ray Peat PhD (ie: blood sugar will crash and cortisol will rise ... in other words MAKE SURE THERE'S FUEL IN THE TANK BEFORE YOU REV UP THE ENGINE) "

I found the quote on here.

Nutritionist, Emma Sgourakis on Instagram: “☕️ Some of the many reasons to drink coffee, from 'Caffeine: A Vitamin-Like Nutrient, Or Adaptogen.' By Ray Peat PhD…”

Found this on ray peat site

The bad effects ascribed to coffee usually involve administering large doses in a short period of time. While caffeine is commonly said to raise blood pressure, this effect is slight, and may not occur during the normal use of coffee. Experimenters typically ignore essential factors. Drinking plain water can cause an extreme rise in blood pressure, especially in old people, and eating a meal (containing carbohydrate) lowers blood pressure. The increased metabolic rate caffeine produces increases the cellular consumption of glucose, so experiments that study the effects of coffee taken on an empty stomach are measuring the effects of increased temperature and metabolic rate, combined with increased adrenaline (resulting from the decrease of glucose), and so confuse the issue of caffeine’s intrinsic effects.

gaze

with cream or sugar should be fine. even black if one has good liver function and isn’t fasting too long it can be done with relatively no stress response. for most people recovering their thyroid it’s probably not a good idea

OP
E

Experienced

with cream or sugar should be fine. even black if one has good liver function and isn’t fasting too long it can be done with relatively no stress response. for most people recovering their thyroid it’s probably not a good idea
My liver enzyme ALT was higher thn the baseline. So it's actually bad besides that I was planning to do Intermittent fasting but I'm already making myself 2 scrambled eggs I'll eat that and after drink my cup of coffee.

Btw do you think that Saece Incanto Coffee Machine is bad?

gaze

My liver enzyme ALT was higher thn the baseline. So it's actually bad besides that I was planning to do Intermittent fasting but I'm already making myself 2 scrambled eggs I'll eat that and after drink my cup of coffee.

Btw do you think that Saece Incanto Coffee Machine is bad?

put some sugar in it or eat some OJ with that meal which will help the liver digest the eggs. and the coffee will also feel much better.

Not sure, online it says it has some plastic components but as long as the coffee doesn’t come into contact with plastic it should be good. I’d have read into it more

OP
E

Experienced

put some sugar in it or eat some OJ with that meal which will help the liver digest the eggs. and the coffee will also feel much better.

Not sure, online it says it has some plastic components but as long as the coffee doesn’t come into contact with plastic it should be good. I’d have read into it more
I desperately tried High Carb Low fat felt amazing the first day but I can't keep on doing it. Because I f**k it up all the time . Also i'm a bit overweight for example what if the diet goes bad on my weight. How am I going to lose all of that weight again so I'm going to do low carb with moderate fat and try to lose excessive weight after that try high carb low fat again. Or work around with my tdee.

Arnold Grape

I have not really found a difference with this: while I tend to drink coffee with or after meals to assist with digestion, drinking a large Cappuccino with sugar does not seem to create issues. What’s the difference if you eat afterward if you feel hungry because your metabolism has been cranked?

Vinny

I notice cold slash clammy hands and feet after a cup of turkish coffee. Adrenaline...?

_lppaiva

It depends. If you drink it in the context of a "meal" (sugar+cream or milk, idk) it's technically okay because you are fueling your body while you are drinking it. I think that even on an empty stomach is okay if given with enough sugar, but that's probably more down the line, if you can handle it. That being said, most of us probably can't handle that, so it's not about being "not good", but "better for the time being"

boris

I think milk and sugar counts as a meal. Peat starts his day with a cafe con leche (a few of those in the course of his 3 hour breakfast) as he said in recent ORN interview.

OP
E

Experienced

I think milk and sugar counts as a meal. Peat starts his day with a cafe con leche (a few of those in the course of his 3 hour breakfast) as he said in recent ORN interview.
Oh okay sounds good!

David90

It depends. If you drink it in the context of a "meal" (sugar+cream or milk, idk) it's technically okay because you are fueling your body while you are drinking it. I think that even on an empty stomach is okay if given with enough sugar, but that's probably more down the line, if you can handle it. That being said, most of us probably can't handle that, so it's not about being "not good", but "better for the time being"

That‘s Right. Nowadays i ALWAYS Drink my Coffee with my Meals. Or if i drink Coffee seperatly (without any Meal) i try to make sure, that i eat enough Fats and Sugar with it (like a bit of coconut oil / Butter and some Fruit(s) )