Smoothies

milesflamius

Hi,

I've been thinking about incorporating smoothies into my diet because they're a fast and easy way to get a lot of nutrients.
I do however wonder if they are peatarian since they contain a lot of fiber and you guys tend to avoid fiber by straining your OJ.
A typical smoothie would contain oranges, carrots and maybe some honey of coconut oil.
I'm looking forward to hear about your thoughts on this matter.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Cileflamius, welcome to the forum!

Orange Juice fiber is definitely something you want to try and avoid if possible.

OP
M

milesflamius

It's probably a noob question, but what exactly is the problem with pulp?
A lot of people eat oranges without juicing them, does that also pose a problem?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The fiber is not digested so it gets down into the intestines and feeds bacteria which causes the production of endotoxin.

"The transparency of life: Cataracts as a model of age-related disease":
http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/trans ... acts.shtml

Ray Peat said:
Endotoxin, produced by bacteria, mainly in the intestine, disrupts energy production, and promotes maladaptive inflammation.

"Epilepsy and Progesterone"
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ep ... rone.shtml

Ray Peat said:
Endotoxin formed in the bowel can block respiration and cause hormone imbalances contributing to instability of the nerves, so it is helpful to optimize bowel flora, for example with a carrot salad; a dressing of vinegar, coconut oil and olive oil, carried into the intestine by the carrot fiber, suppresses bacterial growth while stimulating healing of the wall of the intestine. The carrot salad improves the ratio of progesterone to estrogen and cortisol, and so is as appropriate for epilepsy as for premenstrual syndrome, insomnia, or arthritis.

Rachel

milesflamius said:
I do however wonder if they are peatarian since they contain a lot of fiber and you guys tend to avoid fiber by straining your OJ.
A typical smoothie would contain oranges, carrots and maybe some honey of coconut oil.
I'm looking forward to hear about your thoughts on this matter.

The carrot has a healthy type of fiber because it helps to lower endotoxin.
They're also nutrient subtractive, so they should be eaten alone
or with a bit of coconut oil, salt, and vinegar as a carrot salad.

kettlebell

In Rays interview with Josh Rubin about Serotonin and Endotoxin he did say that if you use plenty of saturated fat with well cooked vegetables, vegetables that would normally be detrimental can become beneficial at cleaning out the intestine. Thanks to the fat the bacteria cannot digest/use the fibre therefore it has a stimulatory effect in the bowel increasing speed of transit.

I cant rememeber where in the interview he said it, but it jumped out at me as he seemed to be saying that vegetables that he would not necessarily recommend can be made to have a largely beneficial effect instead of largely negative if prepared properly. The saturated fat binds to the fibre so it can no longer be used by the bacteria and ends up killing them instead. I have not heard him say it elsewhere.

Very interesting.

I feel that Ray fully understands people will still eat certain things that would normally be bad, so he gives suggestions that reduce or even stop the negatives and will often go as far as being beneficial, even if only in a small way.

OP
M

milesflamius

Thanks for the feedback, do some of you also drink smoothies regularly and/or have recipe suggestions?