Smelling PUFA? Bad?

Hanzo

I frequently smell cooking oils where i work at. Any negatives?

Aymen

Dobbler

Hard to tell. I live with my parents that cook everything in PUFA, and eat PUFA butters etc. Stove/oven is covered in PUFA oil its ******* disgusting. I dont use same pan as they do but i often wonder am i somehow getting that nasty leftover PUFAs to my food somehow. I try to be as careful as possible thou. ******* annyoing.

I think standing around a deep fryer all day must be unhealthy, bad for skin and lungs I would imagine. PUFA kitchen grease from years of smoke and vapor is disgusting, like near the stove hood vent.. it smells terrible and is nearly impossible to clean off of a surface.

Aymen

Hard to tell. I live with my parents that cook everything in PUFA, and eat PUFA butters etc. Stove/oven is covered in PUFA oil its ******* disgusting. I dont use same pan as they do but i often wonder am i somehow getting that nasty leftover PUFAs to my food somehow. I try to be as careful as possible thou. ******* annyoing.
make sure to put your pan in a secret place that they don't find it , maybe one day they will use it to make some fries cooked in canola oil or maize oil .

Unfortunately, I work at a potato chip manufacturing plant. Everything is cooked in vegetable oils of course. I work in packaging and not much oil makes it to my department. Though in the summer time smoke is sometimes a problem. I can't imagine it doing anything good for me. I wouldn't even consider working in processing because of the exposure to vegetable oil. What concerns me more is the fact that they apparently thought it would be a good idea to put transformers and other electrical panels directly next to where I work. I thought about buying an emf meter and bringing it with me one day, but I'm not sure I even want to know how bad it is lol. The pay is good and I don't work hard at all but this place goes against everything I believe in so I'll be looking for new work in the future.

OP
H

Hanzo

I have heard of people having gluten allergy just because of smelling pizza dough all the way from the side of the counter but i dunno how accurate that is. glutenphobia is almost a thing now so yea. I really wanna know if anyone has some real stories about smelling PUFAS cause i work next to a fryer everyday now as a line cook at a busy rest.

OP
H

Hanzo

PUFAS are real. Everytime i ingested cake or frosting i got sleepy and emotionally imbalanced. Can't say the same about smelling it yet though

Amazoniac

- Lung cancer in Asian women—the environment and genes

"The high incidence of lung cancer in Chinese women despite a low smoking prevalence (Tables 1 and 2) has stimulated research in other environmental factors, including exposure to cooking oil vapours and indoor coal burning.

In Chinese cooking for stir- and deep-frying, cooking oils are heated to high temperatures in a ‘wok’ or pan with high fume emissions (Fig. 2). Volatile substances so generated from rapeseed and soybean oils have been found to be genotoxic.[40,41] At high temperature, linolenic acid in unrefined rapeseed oil is oxidized to produce pyrolysates, which are thought to be the cause of mutagenicity.[42] Other carcinogens such as benzo(a)pyrene, 1,3-butadiene, benzene and benzo(a)anthracene have also been found in extracts of fumes from safflower, soybean and corn oils.[42,43]

Epidemiological studies have confirmed the risk of lung cancer in Chinese housewives who are exposed to cooking oil fumes. Studies from Shanghai,[44] Shenyang[45] and Gansu[46] in mainland China and Taiwan[47] have demonstrated relative risks of 1.4–3.8. The Taiwanese study further demonstrated that if the housewives did not use fume extractors in the kitchens, the adjusted odd ratios were increased to 3.2–12.2.[47]

The common use of high temperature wok cooking by Chinese housewives might be an important but controllable risk factor for lung cancer. Refining cooking oils for purity and use of fume extractors in kitchens are practical ways to reduce the risks.[42,43]"​

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals