Smaller, more frequent meals = night time hunger

Judd Crane

I've been trying out smaller but more frequent meals lately, which is the standard recommendation on this board, in order to reduce the stress potential of bigger meals (such as ammonia, hypoglycemia, lipidemia etc).

Unfortunately this causes night time hunger for me which worsens my insomnia. And eating close to bed revs me up too much.

I'm very curious what others with the same problem have done to achieve a balance in this regard.

Last edited:

dukesbobby777

Are you taking metabolically enhancing supplements/drugs to go alongside your dietary approach? Those small meals might not be big enough.

In terms of going to bed without the hunger something very calorific but light on the stomach could work best.

gaze

I have/had the same problem. I think what helps is having a set goal of amount of food by lunch time. For example by lunch time, set a goal for yourself to have at least 2-3 cups of OJ, 4-5 cups of milk, 3-4 ounces of meat, some cheese, some fats, a carrot salad with coconut oil/olive oil. If you get these in by say 12-1PM, your at a decent caloriic intake to where you have freedom to follow your cravings for the rest of the day and get close to the amount you need daily. I find when I don't eat enough in the morning, I usually have a hard time keeping up and get the hunger right when I lie down in bed, at which point something like ice cream is helpful.

mrchibbs

I've been trying out smaller but more frequent meals lately, which is the standard recommendation on this board, in order to reduce the stress potential of bigger meals (such as ammonia, hypoglycemia, lipidemia etc).

Unfortunately this causes night time hunger for me which worsens my insomnia. And eating close to bed revs me up too much.

I'm very curious what others with the same problem have done to achieve a balance in this regard.

It just means you need to eat more.

The rationale for smaller, but more frequent meals is that most sick people have a impaired ability to digest their food and oxidize glucose, and have frequent hypoglycemia. Bigger meals don't get digested properly and much of it goes to fat storage.

When we're very healthy, we can eat less meals and keep our blood sugar steady. I was incredibly sick for 2+ years, and unable to maintain my blood sugar, now I've regained much of my health, and I'm able to eat regular sized meals and not go hungry/cold in between.

Typically, your metabolism will peak in the afternoon/evening. Whenever that happens is the best opportunity for you to eat a bigger meal, because with a higher metabolism, everything works better, and digestion/glucose oxidation is more complete.

Eating before bed can cause distress in the intestine and feed bacterial infections and raise endotoxin so, the way to feel best in my opinion is to eat a good hearty meal 4-5 hours before bed, with a glass of milk or ice cream as the principal snack in the late evening before bed.

mrchibbs

I have/had the same problem. I think what helps is having a set goal of amount of food by lunch time. For example by lunch time, set a goal for yourself to have at least 2-3 cups of OJ, 4-5 cups of milk, 3-4 ounces of meat, some cheese, some fats, a carrot salad with coconut oil/olive oil. If you get these in by say 12-1PM, your at a decent caloriic intake to where you have freedom to follow your cravings for the rest of the day and get close to the amount you need daily. I find when I don't eat enough in the morning, I usually have a hard time keeping up and get the hunger right when I lie down in bed, at which point something like ice cream is helpful.

I've noticed the same. Eating properly in the morning, sets the tone for the rest of the day. I think Adelle Davis wrote something about this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals