Slow Realize Potassium Citrate

Lucas

What are the long terms dangerous of taking about 1g of a slow realizing potassium citrate medication? It is depleting sodium?

Thank you.

paymanz

1gram isn't dangerous dose, and it doesn't deplete sodium to my knowledge. You can google hyperkalemia for symptoms of excess potassium intake.

And in my opinion potassium supplements are not necessary.

Amazoniac has posted some interesting studies about potassium and its importance in preventing acidosis. Although potassium in itself is hypothesized to help with alkalizing the body, the anion it is linked to is very important too. Potassium chloride is actually not a good idea, because the chloride is very acidifying. A while ago, haidut posted a study showing that table salt lowers aldosterone, but increases cortisol. I think the lower aldosterone was caused by the sodium and the increased cortisol was caused by the chloride. When acidosis is present, increased cortisol is produced and an acidic environment is necessary for cortisol to be destructive. Organic salts, especially citrate and malate, are converted to bicarbonate after they're absorbed and that means they are alkaline in the body. A study showed that a high intake of protein was beneficial to bone health when an abundant amount of potassium salts was present. I think potassium citrate is a good supplement, but lately I've been worried about the contaminants in industrial citric acid, so if I were you, I would mix either potassium hydroxide or potassium bicarbonate with lemon juice/ lime juice/ orange juice. Careful when mixing the bicarbonates with acidic things, they produce a lot of bubbles!

I think potassium is much safer to supplement than normally thought. I defintely see the problem with supplementing potassium chloride, but the other forms( potassium malate, potassium citrate, potassium bicarbonate etc.)are very safe. With slow-realizing, do you mean potassium pills that slowly release potassium in the digestive track? If so, then I wouldn't use that. Just like aspirin, potassium should be very well dissolved in plenty of water before ingestion, or else it may hurt the gut.

I don't know for sure of any interaction between potassium supplementation and sodium depletion, but if you feel that your salt appetite increases, then make sure to follow your cravings.

yerrag

Looking into this thread since Tim Berzins recommended me to consider using potassium citrate. I overdid potassium bicarbonate since I was dosing 3000mg/day of potassium with it and realized it could turn dangerous when it tipped my urine 7.6 pH.

Thought of KCl to replace bicarbonate though KCl isn't an acid load, it still has chloride and that could still be acidic.

My goal is to increase my potassium stores and certainly increasing it with potassium rich is food is superior to relying on potassium supplementation. I'll use potassium citrate though as potassium is still relatively high in percentage content at 38%, and citric acid is much less acidic than hydrochloric acid.

I'll probably go with a therapeutic daily supplementation with 1500mg potassium in potassium citrate and 600 mg of magnesium in magnesium bicarbonate and see how this goes. I need the bicarbonate to counteract the current acidic tendency in my metabolism or infectious/inflammatory condition and the potassium for beefing up my stores of potassium. Magnesium is needed as without enough enough magnesium stores potassium stores cannot build up. And lastly, my fasting sugar went up to 116, a surprise to me as for many years it's been steady at 84. And I blame it on being depleted of potassium as potassium is very much needed for the tissues to absorb sugar well.

I'd spent a large of last year trying to figure out why I was urinating a lot. I figured that already and am not urinating a lot anymore. But I would have depleted a lot of potassium in the process of urinating a lot. I would experience cramps as well. And with the lack of potassium, I suspect I urinate with a lot of froth partly because with potassium lacking, the kidneys have to produce plenty of ammonium in the absence of potassium in order to excrete acids. This also puts extra work on my kidneys, and since my kidneys have are in an inflammatory state (due to what I suspect to be immune complexes), more work on the kidneys increases the inflammation, and the oxidative stresses, and this also increases high blood pressure. A long series of chain reactions which I'm only beginning to understand.

Sefton10

Looking into this thread since Tim Berzins recommended me to consider using potassium citrate. I overdid potassium bicarbonate since I was dosing 3000mg/day of potassium with it and realized it could turn dangerous when it tipped my urine 7.6 pH.

Thought of KCl to replace bicarbonate though KCl isn't an acid load, it still has chloride and that could still be acidic.

My goal is to increase my potassium stores and certainly increasing it with potassium rich is food is superior to relying on potassium supplementation. I'll use potassium citrate though as potassium is still relatively high in percentage content at 38%, and citric acid is much less acidic than hydrochloric acid.

I'll probably go with a therapeutic daily supplementation with 1500mg potassium in potassium citrate and 600 mg of magnesium in magnesium bicarbonate and see how this goes. I need the bicarbonate to counteract the current acidic tendency in my metabolism or infectious/inflammatory condition and the potassium for beefing up my stores of potassium. Magnesium is needed as without enough enough magnesium stores potassium stores cannot build up. And lastly, my fasting sugar went up to 116, a surprise to me as for many years it's been steady at 84. And I blame it on being depleted of potassium as potassium is very much needed for the tissues to absorb sugar well.

I'd spent a large of last year trying to figure out why I was urinating a lot. I figured that already and am not urinating a lot anymore. But I would have depleted a lot of potassium in the process of urinating a lot. I would experience cramps as well. And with the lack of potassium, I suspect I urinate with a lot of froth partly because with potassium lacking, the kidneys have to produce plenty of ammonium in the absence of potassium in order to excrete acids. This also puts extra work on my kidneys, and since my kidneys have are in an inflammatory state (due to what I suspect to be immune complexes), more work on the kidneys increases the inflammation, and the oxidative stresses, and this also increases high blood pressure. A long series of chain reactions which I'm only beginning to understand.
How did you get on with the potassium citrate, @yerrag?

yerrag

How did you get on with the potassium citrate, @yerrag?
I am okay, it seems. Although for the past few days I've stopped all supplementation just to give myself a break. And suddenly, I'm doing better sleep wise as my problems with nighttime urination seem to have gone away.

I can't make sense of it at all. Makes me wonder if I'm doing something right or I'm doing something wrong.

I mean is the excessive urination a sign my immune system is doing something about an infection and water is a by-product of the immune response, or am I just making myself urinate for no reason?

PeskyPeater

It's much more effective to use some potassium in conjunction with an angiotensin inhibitor like Losartan to reduce aldosterone and serotonin, else it could be a prayer without end.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals