Sleeping In Complete Darkness Bad?

Simon R.

Some people on the forum have tried sleeping under red light lamps.

I'm also interested in this.

Mhtro

A simple Google search would've told you that sleeping in complete darkness is better vs light.

About sleeping under red lights; red light therapy works but if I remember correctly Ray Peat said to not sleep under them because it can result in negative effects, apparently he slept under one and when he woke up he had some pimples. I read this in a thread a while back so dont quote me on it.

Peater Piper

The idea is that darkness is stressful, and we only sleep through it to minimize the stress. That said, sleeping in anything but pitch black for me causes a restless night and a miserable following day. I try to get plenty of light during the day time, but I've learned to do what I need to in order to get a solid night's rest, including no light at night.

OP
S

stackz07

Some people on the forum have tried sleeping under red light lamps.

I'm also interested in this.
A simple Google search also tells me that pufas are necessary and good for you ;) here for the Peaty perspectives and experiences :) thanks for your reply!

cyclops

The idea is that darkness is stressful, and we only sleep through it to minimize the stress

I dont thinks its purported that the only reason we sleep is because it gets dark, I think we'd need sleep even if it was light out at all the time or you could artificially create that. Sleep has many benefits other then just escaping the stress of darkness. Not sure if thats what you meant though.

boris

I love falling asleep with red light on by the feet (100w facing away). It's really pleasant, it makes me more sleepy than laying down in darkness, but about 4-5 hours later I wake up because it gets too stimulating.

I think I'll try adding a timer to make it turn off automatically. It would be cool to have the light get gradually less intense until it turns off, it would emulate falling asleep by a fireplace. I can imagine some of our more distant ancestors did it like that.

Peater Piper

I dont thinks its purported that the only reason we sleep is because it gets dark, I think we'd need sleep even if it was light out at all the time or you could artificially create that. Sleep has many benefits other then just escaping the stress of darkness. Not sure if thats what you meant though.
My wording was poor, I shouldn't have said the only reason, but Peat does seem to think that sleep is a major way of minimizing the stress of darkness, and his wording suggests that even with deep sleep, there's still some damage. But, I'll take the stress of darkness and sound sleep over poor sleep in a lit room.

https://www.toxinless.com/kmud-130215-weight-gain-transcription.doc

cyclops

My wording was poor, I shouldn't have said the only reason, but Peat does seem to think that sleep is a major way of minimizing the stress of darkness, and his wording suggests that even with deep sleep, there's still some damage. But, I'll take the stress of darkness and sound sleep over poor sleep in a lit room.

I wonder why we humans tend to gravitate towards sleeping in a dark room then. At least I do. It seems counterintuitive to leave the lights on while sleeping. Never tried but I feel it would hinder me from getting into a deep sleep. Like the light would keep me up. Although its not a problem if I take a nap during the day...maybe its something to try.